What's new

Cannabis infused olive oil

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I have not done the cold extraction, but when I try it, I will decarboxylate [sp], heat the herb prior to extraction, so there is no extra processing at the end before use. My olive oil experiments so far agree, a different stone, slower absorbsion, so much in fact that I stay high for most of the next day on a full dose. It is cool to get stoned eating a spinach salad though, hehe.
H

grumio

A question popped into my mind. You said you used clarified butter, that is ghee I presume, do you think it is the best way to use cannabis internally, since it is supposed to store very well? I've read it could be stored for up to six months.

Yeah, I used clarified butter (ghee, yes), because, well, I cook a lot & that's just the kinda guy I am.

I don't think it's worth the bother, though, unless you have a specific reason, like you're going to be roughing it in the tropics for several months with no refrigeration available. In that case, yeah, ghee would be the way to go.

Ghee has 2 main advantages over whole butter - it has a long shelf life without needing refrigeration, & you can heat it to much higher temperatures than whole butter since there are no milk solids to burn.

The first item isn't an issue for most of us - we have access to refrigeration, & as far as I know, frozen cannabutter will last - well, as long as you're likely to need it to last. Probably not exactly forever, but close enough.

The second item is also beside the point, since using cannabutter at frying temps would boil out the THC.

So clarifying the butter certainly won't hurt, but it isn't really necessary.

Funny, my conclusion is correct, but my reasoning is totally beside the point. The process of making cannabutter with water (the most common way, I think) - heat, strain, refrigerate & separate, is the same thing you do to clarify butter. So clarifying your butter beforehand is truly a waste of time.

HOWEVER, I am a recent convert to the church of hash oil. Make hash oil first, then melt that into your butter (or whatever). You might well want to melt your hash oil into clarified butter or ghee rather than whole butter - no water in it, no milk solids to worry about burning. Should store at room temp that way, I'd think.

Last edited:

grumio

I read in another thread that cannabutter would not last in the refrigerator that long. Don't know why it wouldn't, since butter stores well. I thought maybe something happens to the butter after it is heated and that something would make the butter rancid. Live and learn.

I know I've kept c-butter in the fridge for at least 6 weeks with no problems at all. And frozen it'll keep practically indefinitely. I don't know if you should plan on putting some butter up as graduation presents for your as-yet-unborn grandchildren, but it should keep a good long while.

Vegas99

CBD oil

CBD oil

IIRC Hemp has raised levels of CBN and CBD and very low THC, to reduce its appeal to smokers ? But I am sure I have read that some Med users like higher CBD and CBN levels as the effects can help them. Maybe a blend of oils could help ? Some high THC Weed Olive Oil extract mixed with high CBD/CBN Hemp extracted Olive Oil could be an idea ?

I found a place in Canada selling CBD infused olive oil, sez they will ship to US & UK, I don't know what percent CBD it contains and it costs $100. per 16oz bottle. No web page, just an email addy...PM me for it if interested.

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
I think what a lot of people don't realize is that ingested cannabinoids don't need to be heated, your body takes care of that. The only time you need to heat it is when inhaled.

Also, you don't need heat to "extract" it, I noticed a few people confusing "activation" with solubility. When something is soluble it means it (the solute) forms a solution with a solvent, for example, Salt (solute) + water (solvent) = Salt water (solution). The THC does not need to be heated to an "activation" temperature when making a solution, like I had said, that is your body's job.

THC is not water soluble (technically it is but not practically, I'm not going to get into polarities here), though it is in fat, oil, and alcohol. That is why we create solutions with things like butter, booze, and in this case olive oil. It requires no heat to make a solution, but it helps.

P

PermaBuzz

I'm making a batch of infused coconut oil. About equal parts of finely powdered kiefed bud and coconut oil will sit for two days at about 85-90 degrees. I'll post results in a few days.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I tried it and it works!

10gr. of fine powdered bud.
120 ml. of high quality cold pressed olive oil
5 small chilli's
1 big chilli cut into pieces (without seeds)

just took about 5 ml. of it 10 minutes ago and the trip is allready coming..

That seems like a very mild olive oil 'tincture', the way I see it if it's not to much cannabis oil fuzzed into another oil...then it's not worth the bud or the time, mostly the delusion that it will work!

I find that even though bio-availability of cannabis is great eating it and it is transformed into the more potent Delta 9 THC...it still takes more then smoking it but it lasts a lot longer and hits heavier than smoking it...but not so much compared to a good hash oil!

Eating cannabis oil is for me only economical if their are no hash making supplies or the scraps from that if a toxic solvent wasn't used...because making hash tends to leave a lot of solubles not worth the risk of contaminates..that make great foods.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
why not do olive oil at room temp?

I would like to hear more ratios from people who have tried this

Shiherlis

years ago I tried simmering in olive oil for an hour or two.. i didn't get as high as I do with vegetable oil. Now I want to try letting it sit in olive oil for days before eating.

Kiffen

Olive oil has a lower fat content than vegetable oil, or coconut oil. These other oils will be better for extraction, but personally I will stick with olive oil because I can make a decent salad dressing and dip veggies in it.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
try peanut oil, works great. high fat content, high absorbency. do it right and youll be higher than the clouds.

grumio

try peanut oil, works great. high fat content,

Olive oil has a lower fat content than vegetable oil, or coconut oil.

Umm, I think the fat content of all of those is pretty close to 100%.

Butter has milk solids & 10-15% water in it, but I think vegetable oils are nothing but just that - oil - which is fat.

I think it may have something to do with HDLs (high density lipids) and LDLs (low density lipids). Olive oil is said to be very good for you because it contains high amounts of HDLs (good cholesterol) which also lowers LDLs (bad cholesterol) in the blood.

So maybe LDLs can absorb/dissolve more resin than HDLs. This is just something that I think should be considered. I could be very wrong. Does anyone have any comments on this?

Kiffen

I forgot to mention that you should use a double boiler and simmer the water below, boiling is too hot and will damage the quality of your end product.

Latest posts

Latest posts