What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BluMat digital - moisture readings from transplant through flower?

Cablecutter

Hi all,

I'm growing hops (also flowers / blueberries / etc) in coco on my balcony: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580355

It's my first time using coco, and also my first time using the blumat system. I got off to a rocky start as the medium was too wet, and possibly not washed well enough. I picked up the blumat digital and have been monitoring the big pot. When soaked I'm reading 26mbar, after a day or two it will dry to 40. I left it for nearly a week without soaking and it slowly climbed to 67mbar. The recommended range for soil is 80-120ish and the coco has never been that dry.

I'm wondering, has anyone else used the blumat digital? If so, what were your moisture readings through transplant / veg / fruiting? If you were using the blumat drip system what was your moisture set point?

I understand that once root bound coco us typically watered in a more hydroponic fashion. But I've noted that keeping the pots wet before the roots have fully developed seems to stunt growth.

I'm using h&g coco nutrients at about half thee recommended 5ml/g.

Much thanks for any guidance :tiphat:

doob

I haven't ever seen one used, to be honest if you want that good control of the media blumats aren't a good choice in my opinion. Did you add the blumats to young plants as well? Its hard to keep the coco too moist once rooted, they love it

Cablecutter

Thanks, but just interested in the moisture readings / ranges during different grow periods. Specifically, moisture readings taken in water pressure / suction.

Once established coco may be hard to water. But when first transplanting it seems that there need to be periods of dryish medium to stimulate root growth. I would not use the blumat to water during this damp/dry cycling - but am very interested in how dry people let it get when trying to get roots - hopefully with some numbers as I find qualifications like ”a little dry" "just a bit damp” etc hard to put into practice.

doob

So you are not using blumats, just having issues after transplanting. What size pots are you using? Usually you just leave them 2-3 days after transplanting, but if you stage pots you can feed daily from week old seedlings

Blumat maxi, and Blumat digital! Awesome combo! I keep mine around 120 millibars. I use an elevated rez for the pressure and it fluctuates when the pressure drops, so I have to adjust accordingly. I do the wet/dry periods till the roots get established. I run full strength every time with no problems. I think when the medium runs dry is when the tip burns come into play.

shuswap

donkeybrains,i have the digital and find it very tricky to use,how far don do you center the ceramic tip of the meter,i find when i hit 120 the top 3 inches are dry,im using organics and need a wetter amount of soil,when i get it to wet the fkn fungas knats are crazy,defining the balance takes time as every adjustment takes 2-3 days to show up,any suggestions?

What's up shuswap! I have the Blumat digital all the way in my coco. The top gets dry but just under the surface stays wet. I have 7gal airpots and use the Blumat maxi. If you use the Blumat maxi you could add a T connector where it drips and make 2 drip locations for a more even spread. You will have to use some kind of stake to support the T connection. I use advanced nutrients and they have a wetting agent in the base nutrients and it helps keep an even moisture level. I'm not sure of any organic wetting agents off hand but I'm sure you could find something. Or add some perilite to the top of your medium or hydroton. That should help keep it a lil bit more moist.

shuswap

i am using the distribution drippers,3 per 3 gallon pot,im in soil and am trying to find the best spot for the digi,im feeling3/4down the potis where it should be and thats where im taking my readings,ijust put sand on 300 3 gallonpots oh so much fun,lol. gnatrol on the way as well,together this should wipe them out but they love moist organic soil. thanks for the response!

Add some coco to the soil mix next time and see if it spreads moisture more evenly. 300 pots of sand! How much did that weigh? I'd have to take a few days off lol

I also use crystals :/

Attachments

• 0118172314a.jpg
    0118172314a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 25

shuswap

i feel coco is totally different then soil,your going thru way more water then i am,my organic mix is 30% coco and drains quite freely,more then sunshine 4,planted another round yesterday and i put enough sand in bottom of pot to cover holes,yep fungas knats go down there as well,curious to see if it drains faster as there will be more surface area for the bottom soil to be open to air,sand on top to keep the critters away and im hoping for a bug free run,i mix a top dressing into soil two times so this will be tricky but interesting,one thing im not doing and feel it may be my problem is i lay the drippers directly onto soil,if i suspend they might follow the stake hole into the soil and not sit so long on surface.

6 garbage cans did the top of 300 3 gals,lol. thank god for helpers

skyview

What's up shuswap! I have the Blumat digital all the way in my coco. The top gets dry but just under the surface stays wet. I have 7gal airpots and use the Blumat maxi. If you use the Blumat maxi you could add a T connector where it drips and make 2 drip locations for a more even spread. You will have to use some kind of stake to support the T connection. I use advanced nutrients and they have a wetting agent in the base nutrients and it helps keep an even moisture level. I'm not sure of any organic wetting agents off hand but I'm sure you could find something. Or add some perilite to the top of your medium or hydroton. That should help keep it a lil bit more moist.
I think a good organic wetting agent is yucca extract. See info here on icmag: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191488