What's new

oops... time for a new pH meter, suggestions?

Unclecrash

Ok ya I seen that one too. 200 bucks the gaurdian is 250 the gaurdian connect is 350 wondering if the Gaurdian can be used with the usb dealy for 100 bucks to make the gaurdian into the gaurdian connect so I can data log and check it remotely like the gaurdian connect. There killing me first I see the meter then the gaurdian now the connect. Geez Im gonna have to take a smoke break. I would go with the gaurdian if I knew it would do what the Connect will do. And then add the connect module later when my pocket recoops some funds.

Unclecrash

Yup going to go with the Gaurdian was hoping someone knew of a reputable dealer on ebay, but I guess it dont matter I can ask them about warranty and such on ebay. And just make sure they have a good rating! Or a powerseller.:biggrin:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My recent pH meter has pretty much bit the dust, and in need of a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? My last one was a cheapo I bought off amazon...one of the yellow pieces of crap... and needless to say I am looking for a better one.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I've been using my Milwaukee 802 soil test kit for over 5 years now. Same pen the whole time & seems to be working flawlessly.

Calibration is as simple as set & forget. I recall getting my cal solution out & not making any changes... maybe once or twice just screwing around with the calibration knobs just to make sure there was some change when turned.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah...
Just get the meter...
The soil testing kit was way overpriced for the additional item that were included. ;)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where can I pick up the drops , test tube's ,all in a kit with instructions
state side. Thank's UC

You can make your own pH drops using red cabbage... jus Google it. ;)

Or... Amazon...

They're pretty common items in most garden centets as well.

Kiloz

Essentials (Hydrogarden UK) PH&EC Meters are great (Not the Trident). But not sure if they got em in the states.

spadedNfaded

Veteran
I've always had good luck with the Checker pH Meter at HTGSupply.com for 39.95. Its red.
It just needs a bit of storage solution and cleaning every once in a while. I've never bought a replacement pH node because they're so cheap. I get a new one every 8 months or so w calibration solution.

If you go with an electric meter make sure to keep it clean and calibrate it once a month. It will serve you well and last years.

-SubN

I

Irish_traveller

well done Unclecrash let me no how good the gaurdian is i may get one myself

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
blue lab for the win, ive been through cheap ph meters like hot dinners. had hydrogarden and although sometimes reliable they can fuck up at any point. ive had the blue lab truncheon for like 5 years and its still going strong, bought the ph pen and not looked back since..

Unclecrash

Yup bought the Gaurdian. just tired of the cheap pens constantly doubting if they are working right . I have two and one will go up to 8 then jump down to 6.5 or some shit. Then i was ph'ing another batch and it was @ a round 6.1 then it started falling, I sat there to see where it would go down to. it slowly went down to 1. Thought it was the battery so changed i changed it . then the # were dancing all over 3 5 7 4 put it down and grabbed the other which is slow but seemed to be working ok. My plants look good one day then its like what the heck is going on.

W

WeetisPotPie

Yup bought the Gaurdian. just tired of the cheap pens constantly doubting if they are working right . I have two and one will go up to 8 then jump down to 6.5 or some shit. Then i was ph'ing another batch and it was @ a round 6.1 then it started falling, I sat there to see where it would go down to. it slowly went down to 1. Thought it was the battery so changed i changed it . then the # were dancing all over 3 5 7 4 put it down and grabbed the other which is slow but seemed to be working ok. My plants look good one day then its like what the heck is going on.

I hear you it seems every year I'm dropping a hondo on a ph meter. I was just looking at that gaurdian too. Keep us posted once you get it on how it works for you, I may even get the douser that goes with it.

Unclecrash

Believe me i was looking at it also ,but figured i better see how this works for me first ,before I set out any more cash. I also got the package to clean and maintain the unit. i went wait a minute after I ordered the gaurdian and said to myself what good is the unit if I dont have the solution and such to Hydrate and clean the probes , it's not it would have been sitting in the boxm till i ordered the stuff which I did.

X

xavier7995

Thread has been most useful, was going to pick up a pen but I think I am just hitting up the pool supply store instead for a drop kit. Just switched over from soil so having to watch PH is a new one to me.