What's new

What is a Haze, what is an OG, define these terms please?

Hi everyone.

In the cannabis world we get terms like "Haze", OG, Kush etc what do they actually mean?
One thing that i was thinking of is we have all these terms that people use in the names of their strains, but it is actually hard to define what they are.

For example a Haze I understand is supposed to be super sativa dominant.
But I'm not sure what else a Haze is supposed to be.

An OG would be the same as a Kush so for example Hollywood Pure Kush is also known as Hollywood OG. All the OG's are supposed to be a hybrid between sativa and indica with a bit of dominance on the sativa dominant side. An OG like OG Kush is supposed to make you feel sedated?

I can't remember what the rest of the terms are , but would be keen to know what they all actually mean and I guess it is up for debate.

B

Benny106

Og is a stretch indica/creeper type plant, with earth/gas/fuel terps. Haze is a thin leaf with a particular heritage stemming from sam skunkman and the haze bros.

bushed

Both terms are fairly meaningless these days, haze was the name given to a strain created by crossing several different land races. You can read more about it in the description of aces original haze, but then ace have also named a strain bangi haze that has nothing to do with the plants that make up haze. So basically meaningless, although you would hope your haze seeds were at least mostly sativa.

OG is the same really it was once something specific but now is a term used for a type of plant that is often but not always a cross of one of the OG cuts.

Kush is even more confusing, it once meant from a seedline that originated in the kush valley area but now like haze is used almost randomly.

CannaZen

Kush refers to a genotype of plants, seedlines of lines grown from seeds of plants originating from the hindu kush mountain range, today it is often used colloquially. Haze were a pure sativa accession hybrid. Today it is a lineage.

OG refers to ocean grown original gangsta./

Koondense

Veteran
Haze - inbred colombian hybrid, originally grown by haze brothers in 70's. Many later variations, original haze is still the one, kept by crazy haze aficionados, myself included :)

OG kush - clone with way too many shady origin stories. Should be chemdog x hindu kush or something similar from the early 90's. Many OG variations float around, not a stable seed line, it's more of an umbrella term.

Cheers

T

Teddybrae

You may have heard the term "Technobabble". 'Haze' and 'OG' are "Cannababble".

el mani

Veteran
just one note, banghi haze in its origins comes from a Congolese and a ssh male and then back to Congolese for several generations, I suppose that the name ...

mexweed

Veteran
kush is a 100% indica landrace from regions where the kush mountains span, typically afghanistan or pakistan, dutch varieties named hindu are typically hybrids of these landraces

haze is a 100% sativa landrace hybrid, typically thought to contain colombian, mexican, and thai or indian landraces, however some may be more dominant of a particular region or contain landrace genetics from another country such as africa or jamaica, some dutch varieties may only be 80-90% sativa due to the landraces being worked with a skunk such as the super silver

OG is an indica dominant hybrid, a kush variety hybrid with chemdog, typically thought of as a lemon thai/pakistan kush in the cross, or in some cases a pure kush meaning a pakistan or afghan variety, also the dutch hindu variety being used in some cases, there are also at least 3 phenotypes of chemdog that have more than likely been used to make OG variants, 91, D, and #4

haze, a soaring no ceiling sativa high
kush, a potent but mellow relaxation body stone
OG, take your breath away head rush potency that will trip you out and then put you to sleep

also, kushes are hashplants, but not all hashplants are kushes

Last edited:

Breadwizard

just one note, banghi haze in its origins comes from a Congolese and a ssh male and then back to Congolese for several generations, I suppose that the name ...

I had read (buried deep in the bangi haze thread) that the "haze" comes from the nepal side of the cross. The nepal was having a hard time acclimating to the growing location, so some Dutch genetics were added (ssh or silver haze, I can't remember). The nepal "haze" was crossed with a cut of "bangi Congo"

The Congo used was different than the congo lines in Aces Congo. The Nepal side is different than the Nepal in NepJam (which came from Reeferman)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There are threads around here on the kush story and how OG got the name. LOL, American creepy!!

All I know is I loves me a really thick heavy kush, you know the kind where smoke from a doob goes DOWN instead of up... and right now am out ;( so sad, so painfully sad.

Think I will make a reefer out of some indica bud with squeezins of another indica strain mixed in, to ease the pain.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
kush is a 100% indica landrace from regions where the kush mountains span, typically afghanistan or pakistan, dutch varieties named hindu are typically hybrids of these landraces

haze is a 100% sativa landrace hybrid, typically thought to contain colombian, mexican, and thai or indian landraces, however some may be more dominant of a particular region or contain landrace genetics from another country such as africa or jamaica, some dutch varieties may only be 80-90% sativa due to the landraces being worked with a skunk such as the super silver

OG is an indica dominant hybrid, a kush variety hybrid with chemdog, typically thought of as a lemon thai/pakistan kush in the cross, or in some cases a pure kush meaning a pakistan or afghan variety, also the dutch hindu variety being used in some cases, there are also at least 3 phenotypes of chemdog that have more than likely been used to make OG variants, 91, D, and #4

haze, a soaring no ceiling sativa high
kush, a potent but mellow relaxation body stone
OG, take your breath away head rush potency that will trip you out and then put you to sleep

also, kushes are hashplants, but not all hashplants are kushes

Saying Chemdog is a parent of OG is just plain copout. I dont believe chem or the bullshit lemon thai crap.

Last edited:

AspenGas

What is the definition of "LAZY"?

Hi everyone.

In the cannabis world we get terms like "Haze", OG, Kush etc what do they actually mean?
One thing that i was thinking of is we have all these terms that people use in the names of their strains, but it is actually hard to define what they are.

For example a Haze I understand is supposed to be super sativa dominant.
But I'm not sure what else a Haze is supposed to be.

An OG would be the same as a Kush so for example Hollywood Pure Kush is also known as Hollywood OG. All the OG's are supposed to be a hybrid between sativa and indica with a bit of dominance on the sativa dominant side. An OG like OG Kush is supposed to make you feel sedated?

I can't remember what the rest of the terms are , but would be keen to know what they all actually mean and I guess it is up for debate.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
buds of og kush smell stinky and hashy fuely, and overall it has decadent smell. while real haze buds are fragrant, never stinky, fruity spicy cola/rootbeer smells. then some people bring up confusion when they call for example G13 x haze hybrid as "HAZE", while its garlic stinky from G13 and comparing g13haze and og kush, they are not so different type of hybrids, while og kush much better. then some not so reliable seedbanks call different afghanskunk hybrids as og kush to sell their seeds.

JetLife175

Veteran
Saying Chemdog is a parent of OG is just plain copout. I dont believe chem or the bullshit lemon thai crap.

According to phylos, chem is part of the equation. Josh D submitted his verified cut and turns out it’s somehow related to the 91 and a particular afghan that were both submitted by extremely reputable people in the scene.

If you’ve ever grown the 91 and legit OG there is no mistaking the relation. Throw chem 4 in the mix and it’s a fucking family reunion in my opinion.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
According to phylos, chem is part of the equation. Josh D submitted his verified cut and turns out it’s somehow related to the 91 and a particular afghan that were both submitted by extremely reputable people in the scene.

If you’ve ever grown the 91 and legit OG there is no mistaking the relation. Throw chem 4 in the mix and it’s a fucking family reunion in my opinion.

Yes, I know RC's Afghan is supposedly a parent of OG, according to phylos.

el mani

Veteran
I had read (buried deep in the bangi haze thread) that the "haze" comes from the nepal side of the cross. The nepal was having a hard time acclimating to the growing location, so some Dutch genetics were added (ssh or silver haze, I can't remember). The nepal "haze" was crossed with a cut of "bangi Congo"

The Congo used was different than the congo lines in Aces Congo. The Nepal side is different than the Nepal in NepJam (which came from Reeferman)

Efectivamente, conoces la historia bien. La Congo utilizada en la BangiHaze es también la #3, con un toque inicial de macho SSH de la epoca bien regordete :) y vuelta a congo, fue cruzado ya con las primeras nepal. Luego la jungla :cool: pero se encontro rapidamente un estupendo perfil y de ahi hasta la generacion actual que si no me vuelvo a equivocar son otra vez F6 o F7 (me pierdo jeje) hecho sobre lotes anteriores de Estai que fue quien domo el hibrido original paso a paso hacia tiempos rapidos y excelentes potencias... ya que es su humo preferido :mrgreen:
saludos
kaiki

TheDarkStorm

buds of og kush smell stinky and hashy fuely, and overall it has decadent smell. while real haze buds are fragrant, never stinky, fruity spicy cola/rootbeer smells. then some people bring up confusion when they call for example G13 x haze hybrid as "HAZE", while its garlic stinky from G13 and comparing g13haze and og kush, they are not so different type of hybrids, while og kush much better. then some not so reliable seedbanks call different afghanskunk hybrids as og kush to sell their seeds.

If I used a real proper authentic haze brothers haze and put it to g13 why can it not be labeled as g13 x haze..iv actualy found long string plants with just calaxes that come out like pure haze from this exact line..I suppose it should be made clear its a hybrid but its labeled as such.

AstroTHC

Every selection has ever been made out of human need.
These are just the names in this case for cannabis plants that describe certain characteristics.

Often plants with those names are very special(the storngest) so name is popular.
We dont know much about cannabis now,but as it seems future is bright.
Indica and Sativa is nothing...Sativa means something like ''being used by humas'' latin word. Also like Indica in means geographic India...Most of growers accept that every Thin lifed long in hight is Sativa while broad life squat is Indica. Like two extremas hot and cold. Al in mid is hybrid we call that like something what is warm to someone another man is cold. That is like in strains like ligthty body high others like heavy body high.

If they are strong both will be psydelic just in different ways in pure sativas you have woody citrusy incensy and fruty smells but they are not strong and sharp just profined.
In indicas you have dark scents like fresh earth,gas,chem,garlic,hashish, minty hops and that kind of terpens in body are lovering the blood pressure and you feel relaxed and sleepy like mint tea,beer,garlic onions...while sativish fruty and flowery woody tonse open the mind and think about old memories and nature and make high uplifted and positive with higher conscesness.

That is my exirience in weed for long time of consuming it.

Latest posts

Latest posts