What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Days until pollen sacs open???

oregon_guy

Hello fellow ICers,
I rarely ask questions on here but, I am attempting my first pollen chuck. I have a Jock Horror male about 3 weeks into flower and just started showing his pollen sacs the last couple of days. I have a chamber that I am setting up just for him that will have a couple of cfl warm bulbs in and will be keeping the 12/12 light schedule. How long before those sacs open up?? I certainly do not want the pollen to spread around throughout the whole flowering tent. The mom to be is a select Thaitanic that shows the most sativa traits.

In case it matters I am using:
Soilless Mix
400 Watt Hps

Thanks in advance to those that can shed some light on this and help out.

rebo

In my experience, the pollen sacks will start to ripen and turn reddish/brown at the top.. once this happens they will pop soon afterwards.. I pulled my males once I saw the slight color change and put them on a piece of glass.. roots and all... after a few days there was yellow pollen on the glass which I q-tipped onto a select few flowers. I am no expert, but that's been my experience anyways..

Here's a pic to show you what I mean.. if you look along the top edges of the pollen sacks you'll see the coloration change I am talking about.. In the pic below they are super close to popping

P1010307.jpg

-rebo

oregon_guy

That's what I love about this form. Not only do you get an answer but a photo that shows me what to look for. Thank you Rebo for the quick response and great photo.

Mine is not even close to that yet. They are just starting to show and are still very green. Maybe another week before I need to make the switch to the pollen cab? I wish I could post a pic but I do not think I can get in that close yet. Another day or two maybe I can get a decent photo.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
your looking at anything from one week to 3weeks before pollen is ready. if u look at the picture in 2nd post, that is about 2weeks of 12/12 and pollen is about to be released in the next few days.

oregon_guy

Mine is not that far along yet. I did a Fim/lst to this one and it really seemed to slow down the flowering cycle.

You cannot see the sacs from this shot. This is at day 17 of 12/12. I am going to start a new thread with my complete grow as I have a few more questions I would like to ask. Thanks to all that left comments.

picture.php

kongbud

Mine usually pop in the middle of the night when im not lookin. If ya can when ya get close move the plant to a completley different area put it on some news paper in a day or two give it a gentle lean onto the paper and then a vigorous shake, then bag the whole plant,and scrape up the pollen from the news paper.

I get rid of the plant in a sealed bag, gather all the pollen in a sealed container like film canister..then i wash all my clothes and take a full shower. After that you can think about going in the grow area. One small branch will get ya 100 seeds. I use a real whispy artist brush with a head shaped like a pea...works like a charm..good luck

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
If you insist or raising a male, try to do it in another room, as far from your girls as you can get. Pollen is easy to lose control over. Don't seed your girls out on a whim chance to get some pollen!

K

Kola Radical

I keep my male in an isolation chamber and just move females in to sleep with him for a few weeks. It's a constant stream of wanton women.... the cheap sluts. So I'm sorta like a seed pimp.

Actually I am waiting for my first batch of c99 x Papaya beans. How do I know if she is pregnant and the breeding was successful? How long till baby beans start to show?

oregon_guy

Thank you everyone. To keep from posting the same subjects in different threads, I have started a new thread:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=115900

Please come visit my current grow in progress. I am doing a FIM/LST Blue Mystic, Jock Horror and Thai-tanic. This is the first first time using these methods as well as my first time making some beans or attempting to.

jp7570

I am trying to get pollen from a male Bruce banner some sacs burst I have a plastic bag around it.Some sacs will burst before others. Its in the same pot as the female banner IDK what the outcome will be. A couple of other females in with it is purple ppl eater, super mutant mass by CMC..and exotic genetix batch 45.SO WE SHALL SEE!!

Budley Doright

Veteran
Male flowers dont just pop open....

Before they pop you will notice the tightly closed flowers will begin to open slightly at the tip....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Seems they start extending away from plant also when they're getting ready to drop

Its true.... the flowers have to dry in order to release pollen....

so the plant isolates the flowers to facilitate drying.....

Then the flower opens it does not realease pollen immediately...but only after it has dried a bit more......

Wet pollen doesnt get airborn as well as dry.......

Latest posts

Latest posts