What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

marmarb

Here's a few photos of the sodium thiosulfate definitely crystallized.

2. I know it was mentioned that the aluminum spray bottles weren't great for long term storage how about for a few days I have some Amber's on order that wont arrive till the weekend but I'm cutting it close as far as getting seeds that will be ready for this outdoor season.

Attachments

• 15790347633845231131177096292061.jpg
    15790347633845231131177096292061.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200114_154548.jpg
    20200114_154548.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 25

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Here's a few photos of the sodium thiosulfate definitely crystallized.

2. I know it was mentioned that the aluminum spray bottles weren't great for long term storage how about for a few days I have some Amber's on order that wont arrive till the weekend but I'm cutting it close as far as getting seeds that will be ready for this outdoor season.

lol. I know they probably look cool, and you really want to use it, but don't. Not even for a few minutes. You can remove silver tarnish with baking soda and aluminum remember? Actually, you're converting the silver sulfide (the tarnish) back into silver. If you want to test it, pour some into your aluminum bottle and wait a day or two, then pour that into a clear drinking glass or something. You should see the precipitate or it might have turned black by then. If you don't see anything weird, give it a shot.

Why don't you stop at both solutions, store them, and combine it when you need it?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Quick shot now mind you I've had it for a few yrs always kept this and the silver nitrate in the fridge with seeds so I'm sure it's still good both are factory sealed

Na2S2O3-5H2O is Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate.

Your Na2S2O3 is Sodium Thiosulfate (sometimes called Sodium Hyposulfite)

In crystal form it should last forever (everything is relative right?).

marmarb

Yup sounds about right so which do I use the 3.9g or 2.5 for part be of the solution or did I get screwed and have to reorder another type of sodium. I used some sunset sherbet cs reversed pollen on my slower auto so that kinda takes care of that. I would still like to be able to use what I have thought have 5g of silver nitrate and just put in a order for another 25gs of it thinking I would be set for the foreseeable future.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The original solution calls for 500ml of water but you posted I should use 400ml of water would I still be adding part a and b in equal parts to make the stock solution?

Follow your recipe.

400ml is the recipe I have. Here it is.
-----------

Making STS feminization foliar spray
You need:
1. Silver nitrate - AgNO3 (only expensive part of STS) –
- Can be found on ebay or in a chem shop,

2. Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate - Na2S2O3-5H2O
Can be found on ebay or in a chem shop.

3. Distilled or RO water, kitchen or medical gloves, syringes, plastic bottles, spray bottle.

Solution - A
1.7g of AgNO3 (USE GLOVES - AgNO3 will stain your hands black for months).
Add AgNO3 to 100ml of RO water.
- Don’t use metal objects – only plastic or glass!
- Avoid exposing this solution to sunlight.
- Solution A should be stored in a cool dark place or in a dark plastic or glass bottle.

Solution - B
9.92g of Na2S2O3-5H2O (or 6.32g of Na2S2O3)
Add to Na2S2O3-5H2O to 400ml of RO water.
Solution B is not light sensitive but can be stored in a cool dark place or in the dark plastic bottle.

Solution A and B can be stored separately for a long time in a dark place (12+ months).

Solution - STS
- 5ml of Solution A, and
- 20 ml of Solution B
In a glass cup, stirring slowly, add A to B to make STS.
(STS is not as stable as solutions A and B separate and should be used within 6 months or so.)

STS FOLIAR SPRAY
The STS solution must be diluted with water.
- Use 1:2, 1:3 or 1:4 concentrations (STS to Water).

Example
1:2 = 1 part STS and 2 parts water [25ml STS + 50ml water]
1:3 = 1 part STS and 3 parts water [25ml STS + 75ml water]
1:4 = 1 part STS and 4 parts water [25ml STS + 100ml water]
Use this final mixture for foliar spraying. It is best to start with a concentration of 1:4 – if nothing happens use 1:2

Use STS sparingly as soon as flowering starts. Spray ONCE, wait two weeks, then ONCE again.
Spray too much and your plant will explode with empty pollen sacs.

Male bananas and sacs from female flowers will give you feminized pollen!

Note: Some strains will not reverse easily, and some not at all, but most will.

------------------------------

This recipe makes enough to spray a thousand plants. Next time I make it, I'll cut it in 10.

LostTribe

Premium user
^The anhydrous is quite rare to find. Most likely you're going to have the pentahydrate version.
I have the pentahydrate one and it looks like extremely large salt crystals.

Maybe you could post a picture of the contents of yours?

Mine was anhydrous.

I am now at day 6. Sprayed c99 lowers again lightly once last night. Still no definitive sign of male junk coming off this fine lady. She is however just showing a few pistils on the tips.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The anhydrous was a whole lot more available when I bought it, back before I started pimping STS a year or so ago. heh I still have 400g or so of it, and I remember Amazon sellers actually running out of silver nitrate regularly for a while.

Crazy. ;) Definitely going to be an interesting mix of fallout in the coming decades. :)

marmarb

Let's cook I cut the original recipe

250ml distilled water + .25g of silver nitrate = part A

250ml distilled water + 1.95gs of sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate

Both stored and mixed in amber bottles will used at 1:9 ratio

The goal is to reverse either my 89 nl5 cut or double purple doja will be open pollination with about 10 other cuts and themselves in a 3x3 tent most plants are around 2ft tall going for maximum pollination.

marmarb

Photos are always fun always calibrate stored scales.

Attachments

• 20200118_142833.jpg
    20200118_142833.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200118_142523.jpg
    20200118_142523.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200118_141500.jpg
    20200118_141500.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200118_140804.jpg
    20200118_140804.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 20

LostTribe

Premium user
@losttribe which c99 are you running

Several.

I decided to spray again today just lowers and just once. I was just going to keep these in a tiny box but may put them under a 400w if they don't start going pretty quick. Currently under 2 t5's.

Still no sign of reversing but its only day 9 since flip. Not showing many pistils yet either.