What's new

Real 1980 Colombian Gold

Prs2xs

Hey just thought I'd let everyone know that according to phylos DNA testing of Dubi's IBL of Old Timer's Haze it appears directly related to legit Colombian Gold circa 1980. It's also highly likely this line originally came by way of Thailand possibly being derived 1975 commercial Thai Stick from the South East region.

Thai Stick
******* |
Thailand GAL 6251
******* |
Cambodia GAL 6331
******* |
Colombia GAL 6125
******* |
1977 - "Raziel"/1980 Colombian Gold Crosby line/Ace's IBL of OldTimers Haze

Now I'm not saying there are not other Colombian Gold lines out there or that all Colombian Gold lines are Thai stick is grown in Colombia. Just that in this case it appears on phylos that this 1980 Colombian Gold line appears to have some of it's parentage derived from Thai Stick.
It also appears in my opinion that 1980 - Crosby Colombian Gold/Old Timers Haze/ 1977 - Raziel represent the most worked pure landrance Sativas currently displayed on phylos and possibly the most worked/bred by man landrace Sativas in existence! So also quite possibly the best!

Many thanks to Thailand and Colombian growers, Crosby, Easy-A, Old Timer, Ace seeds/Dubi and Phylos galaxy for making this happen.

I'm not affiliated with any seed bank or company just interested in Cannabis origins and these are just my personal opinions. I actually just purchased USC's - 1972 Colombian Gold so have no have no dog in the fight either. Just calling it how I see it.

Also if you are out there JahGreenLabel and want your 72 Gold line DNA tested at phylos (or any another site) I'd be happy to cover you costs.

Enjoy!
Don't hold your breath looking for something good on USC's 72 Colombian - I grew that one out for 21 weeks, finally took it down because it wouldn't finish, got a huge yield of better than a kilo on one plant ( it was a monster), but the high was super weak.
I think that strain has been inbred so many times that it is a small distant light compared to it's original.
I ended up throwing the stuff away because it just took to much smoking to get to a satisfactory level of high.
Maybe you could get a good potent example if you grew out enough seed, but you would need a large growing area, My plant was tied down to 5 ft tall and was 6 ft wide.

achille

Veteran
Don't hold your breath looking for something good on USC's 72 Colombian - I grew that one out for 21 weeks, finally took it down because it wouldn't finish, got a huge yield of better than a kilo on one plant ( it was a monster), but the high was super weak.
I think that strain has been inbred so many times that it is a small distant light compared to it's original.
I ended up throwing the stuff away because it just took to much smoking to get to a satisfactory level of high.
Maybe you could get a good potent example if you grew out enough seed, but you would need a large growing area, My plant was tied down to 5 ft tall and was 6 ft wide.
I had a very different experience growing Cg72, I had no problem finding two good mothers, I started with two packs. The high was awesome and similar in all the plants, the most euphorical strain I know.
I think you were just unlucky ? Or maybe the last version from USC is different, I don't know. The seeds I grew were the last from Jahgreenlabel at USC.

Prs2xs

I had a very different experience growing Cg72, I had no problem finding two good mothers, I started with two packs. The high was awesome and similar in all the plants, the most euphorical strain I know.
I think you were just unlucky ? Or maybe the last version from USC is different, I don't know. The seeds I grew were the last from Jahgreenlabel at USC.
I bought 3 or 4 packs from Cristalin, just before they shut down their website. I am not sure what the status of the genetics was at that point, but I know of 2 other growers who had the same experience as I did.
The consensus was that it's value was in using it as a breeding tool, but not worth it to cultivate as a source of smokable product, due to it's lower potency (in their opinion).

I think the seed from JGL may be a better source of genetics than what is available now.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Hey just thought I'd let everyone know that according to phylos DNA testing of Dubi's IBL of Old Timer's Haze it appears directly related to legit Colombian Gold circa 1980. It's also highly likely this line originally came by way of Thailand possibly being derived 1975 commercial Thai Stick from the South East region.

Thai Stick
******* |
Thailand GAL 6251
******* |
Cambodia GAL 6331
******* |
Colombia GAL 6125
******* |
1977 - "Raziel"/1980 Colombian Gold Crosby line/Ace's IBL of OldTimers Haze

Now I'm not saying there are not other Colombian Gold lines out there or that all Colombian Gold lines are Thai stick is grown in Colombia. Just that in this case it appears on phylos that this 1980 Colombian Gold line appears to have some of it's parentage derived from Thai Stick.
It also appears in my opinion that 1980 - Crosby Colombian Gold/Old Timers Haze/ 1977 - Raziel represent the most worked pure landrance Sativas currently displayed on phylos and possibly the most worked/bred by man landrace Sativas in existence! So also quite possibly the best!

Many thanks to Thailand and Colombian growers, Crosby, Easy-A, Old Timer, Ace seeds/Dubi and Phylos galaxy for making this happen.

I'm not affiliated with any seed bank or company just interested in Cannabis origins and these are just my personal opinions. I actually just purchased USC's - 1972 Colombian Gold so have no have no dog in the fight either. Just calling it how I see it.

Also if you are out there JahGreenLabel and want your 72 Gold line DNA tested at phylos (or any another site) I'd be happy to cover you costs.

Enjoy!
According to a Times article 1979, there was an introduction of Thai genetics in 1977.

The "catadores, "or crop tasters, report that although Santa Marta Gold is still the most famous of the Colombian line, the Arhuaco Indians in the higher altitudes are growing an even more potent variety of pot: Mona (blond) plants so pale that they look bleached. The Cielo Azul heights produce a pale plant known as Blue Sky Blond, developed as a hybrid two years ago with seeds from Thailand. Even the arid and low-lying fields of the Guajira peninsula, which are irrigated and farmed with tractors, grow a good green grass. The broiling sun forces the plants up to 15 ft. within six months and infuses them with an abundance of powerful resin. The emerging new drug-cultivation area is the Llanos plains, on the edge of the Amazon jungle, where pruning has improved the original coarse green cannabis.

need4weed

Veteran
Maybe you could get a good potent example if you grew out enough seed, but you would need a large growing area, My plant was tied down to 5 ft tall and was 6 ft wide.all
Interesting, that's all I will say

acespicoli

Cannabis originally from Thailand is part of the Summer "Da Lata" in Brazil. "Da Lata" was named for the unusual appearance of thousands of aluminum cans in 1987 on the beaches of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and even further south on the coast of Rio Grande do Sul. 22 tons of marijuana, in approximately 15 thousand cans, were thrown to the sea by a boat which was supposed to take the cans from Thailand to Miami. The DEA and the Brazilian Navy worked together to seize the boat but the crew threw all the cans near the Brazilian coast. History Channel has a series of documentary films that detail this amazing history of Brazilian Cannabis culture. See below: Documentary: https://www.seuhistory.com/programas/verao-da-lata

Reactions: Rgd

Rgd

Veteran
he Arhuaco Indians in the higher altitudes are growing an even more potent variety of pot: Mona (blond) plants so pale that they look bleached.
interesting
when I was there in the late 70’s the waiter who got it for me called it “blonde"
it had no green and looked “real" blonde
ie.not yellow blonde

psw

a few years ago ..I was given 80’s col gold seed kept in a fridge for that long apparently

it is like some of the good commercial Colombia we used to get

...which was hybrid looking

we seldom ever got the skinny stuff

good weed but not great weed

mexcurandero420

Veteran
interesting
when I was there in the late 70’s the waiter who got it for me called it “blonde"
it had no green and looked “real" blonde
ie.not yellow blonde

psw

a few years ago ..I was given 80’s col gold seed kept in a fridge for that long apparently

it is like some of the good commercial Colombia we used to get

...which was hybrid looking

we seldom ever got the skinny stuff

good weed but not great weed
Interesting and how was the smoke?

funkyhorse

Cannabis originally from Thailand is part of the Summer "Da Lata" in Brazil. "Da Lata" was named for the unusual appearance of thousands of aluminum cans in 1987 on the beaches of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and even further south on the coast of Rio Grande do Sul. 22 tons of marijuana, in approximately 15 thousand cans, were thrown to the sea by a boat which was supposed to take the cans from Thailand to Miami. The DEA and the Brazilian Navy worked together to seize the boat but the crew threw all the cans near the Brazilian coast. History Channel has a series of documentary films that detail this amazing history of Brazilian Cannabis culture. See below: Documentary: https://www.seuhistory.com/programas/verao-da-lata

I hope you dont mind
The cans were wrapped in indonesian newspapers, the ship left from Australia, not from Thailand
Funny you mention that. There was an Indonesian ship that was packed to the hilt with that bud en route to the USA, via the coast of South America, and was being tracked by the DEA in the mid eighties. The crew were alerted that it would be boarded the next day and they began to desperately unload the cargo (stored in 1 gallon milk cans) into the sea. The following weeks were like Christmas to stoners. Tons of cans washed onto shore and floated all through Rio and made many people happy and became an instant legend. The bud was exquisite as you mention, and had Indonesian newspapers lining the cans...
A friend of mine found one and to this day he has a nickname associated with the cans heheh. Too bad we can't get that herb here anymore...

Here's the article on it, has pictures of the cans etc..the ship was called Solana Star

Fntunamar1.jpg

The ship was a made in Taiwan, reformed in Australia, and when it was intercepted on route to the USA from Asia, it was flying a Panamanian flag and was working for some "company" called Compal Investments. They were boarded by the Federal Police near the coast and the cans had already been thrown overboard.

There were 20,000 cans with 1.5 kilos per can thrown overboard when they found out that the DEA were on their trail. The summer of 1988 became known as the Summer of the Can. lol

Fntunamarlata.jpg
This is the full movie from history channel, it is just in portughese

This has nothing to do with any colombian weed, why is it posted here?
It changed the history of weed in Brazil, it put a lot of pressure on demand for paraguayan weed

DEA was heavily invested in paraguayan weed
This is your paraguayan weed wikileaks, are there any colombian weed or other country weed wikileaks?

mexcurandero420

Veteran

Screenshot_20240115-210224_Photos.jpg

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I hope you dont mind
The cans were wrapped in indonesian newspapers, the ship left from Australia, not from Thailand
That's quite intriguing. Being Australian I remember the 80's weed here as being very high priced. We had weed droughts where ounces would reach $450. We had imports from Asia, middle east, and even Colombia. Seems crazy to ship weed from Thailand to Australia bound for Miami, when there was such a market here.

I don't speak the language otherwise would have loved to watch that film.

Thanks for posting.

acespicoli

Free on Board
When goods are bought or sold “Free on Board” (FOB) it means that the seller delivers the goods to a ship at a port previously agreed to by the seller and the buyer. The seller loads the goods onto the ship. The buyer then takes care of the import formalities and transportation to the final destination.

There was a American crew that had the smuggling arrangements since before the Vietnam War

Aerobiology and the War on Drugs: A Transnational Crime​

Journal
Crime and Social Justice Issue: 30 Dated: (1987) Pages: 28-44

The great demand for drugs, particularly marijuana and cocaine, in the United States, has given rise to transnational crime with an economic dimension in Latin America and other Third World countries.

1705400552007.png

There seems to always come up the question of Thai genetics in Colombian weed.
... and perhaps some of the seeds were not so smashed from compressing.

Would they sprout ?

Last edited:

funkyhorse

I always thought it was freight on board, like in CIF condition which means Cost, Insurance and Freight
It doesnt matter what the shipping condition was, if you mean it was some shipment transfered in Australia, it seems to be the case

It was year 1987 when the ship left Australia. When did the massive grows in Thailand stop?

Out of brick seed, just 10% germinates. At this part of the world it is what homegrowers do since the 70s at least, they grow seed from the brick and the rate of 10% germination is reported consistently

Some docs you might find interesting

Herbicidal treatments for control of Cannabis sativa L.​

Use of herbicides to erradicate marihuana

The politics of the paraquat program

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Free on Board
When goods are bought or sold “Free on Board” (FOB) it means that the seller delivers the goods to a ship at a port previously agreed to by the seller and the buyer. The seller loads the goods onto the ship. The buyer then takes care of the import formalities and transportation to the final destination.

There was a American crew that had the smuggling arrangements since before the Vietnam War

Aerobiology and the War on Drugs: A Transnational Crime​

Journal
Crime and Social Justice Issue: 30 Dated: (1987) Pages: 28-44

The great demand for drugs, particularly marijuana and cocaine, in the United States, has given rise to transnational crime with an economic dimension in Latin America and other Third World countries.

View attachment 18946749

There seems to always come up the question of Thai genetics in Colombian weed.
... and perhaps some of the seeds were not so smashed from compressing.

Would they sprout ?
I know people that got some of the Thai stick seeds to sprout, so yes some of them did. In those days in Australia people were just crossing whatever with whatever, but Thai genetics was in a lot of the early Australian hybrids, probably Mullumbimby Madness and Old Mother Sativa. Wish we all knew what we were doing back then.

Latest posts

Latest posts