What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Highland Thai, RSC

Hookahhead

Which is the case in Hawaii for instance. Everyone is growing their California hybrids in hoop houses with supplemental lighting otherwise they'll flower immediately.

This is what I experience growing only a few degrees from the equator. Our longest day here is 12.5 hours of light. If I move a mature plant from indoor to outdoor it flowers immediately. If I start a seedling indoors under 18/6, and move it outside at 2-3 weeks, it flowers soon after and stays relatively small. If I plant the same seeds in the soil, they will grow for 5-7 weeks and transition into flower slower. The problem with planting them directly in the ground is that I live in the jungle, and everything wants to eat a tender young plant. Currently I am growing larger plants/clones indoor under LED before moving them outside.

Haze hybrids seem to flip to flower (stop stretching) about a week later than other modern strains. Sorry that this post was a little off topic.

AbuKeif

hi

no worries at all, hope that didn't come across like a harangue

worth noting here:

some tropical strains and/or plants can be day-neutral

that's a technical term for auto-flowering

in other words, day-length isn't necessarily a relevant factor here

No offense taken! You have piqued my curiosity, though--do these day-neutral tropical populations tend to crop up (so to speak) in certain specific locales?

And, more importantly, might you have any plans to source some and put them up for sale on Kwik Seeds? :)

Im'One

Im just wondering how much light-deprivation is needed to start flowering? In other words, if I grow between buildings and they get only 4 or 5 hours direct sunlight is that enough tomstart flowering?
I'm just debating which strain to try. I have numerous RSC landraces. Mostly indian such as malana, johaar, kumaoni, rasoli, murree, as well as Thai and afghan, and others.

djonkoman

Veteran
about the 'forever flowering', might it be related to temperature? I can iimagine average temperatures in the region they come from might be higher then they get in a typical indoorroom.

and in school, I've learned how for plants in general development rate is temperature dependent. in naturally day neutral crops for example you can do calculations using 'degreedays', so based on a known temperature sum needed from planting>harvest you can calculate how long it takes given different temperatures.

but you can also aply that to individual developmental stages that are not dependent on some other trigger(also aplies to how long germination takes for example). so in case of weed that's not autoflower it wouldn't work for clculating the start of flower, but after flowering is iniated it would apply to the time between start flower>harvest.

so if these tropical strains have a higger temperature sum and/or base temperature(temperature below which development rate is 0), that could explain why they need longer if the indoor temp is lower compared to the temperature in their native outdoor location.

right

I sure hope you folks have some of these ready when I'm ready to purchase. This Highla d Thai is very exciting to me . There isn't very many Thai variety available.

romanoweed

i read that you Need to provide 100 Percent darkness. Just shadws from buildings are not what ordinary Lightdeprivation is about-
Cover the Plants 100 Percent, so that you cant see your own Hand infront of your Eyes as Test.

Alltho some indicaheavy Strain might react to that slightly, i heard some Assumtions, but nothing shure. Assumed gain of Time to the earler was about 2 weeks for an indicaish Strain grown with Hill strongly blocking light. Heard that only one Time.

But for pure Sativas .. You can try, but it sounds like that wont have any Influece on Flowering at all

You could try rootbound as a crazy Experiment with bad Sideeffects like Overall unhealthy Plants.... That way some could get even pure sativas to flower 2 Weeks earlyer, but i think its Timeintensive and careintensive (decision between further bounding or deplanting into bigger Pots)

AbuKeif

Im just wondering how much light-deprivation is needed to start flowering? In other words, if I grow between buildings and they get only 4 or 5 hours direct sunlight is that enough tomstart flowering?
I'm just debating which strain to try. I have numerous RSC landraces. Mostly indian such as malana, johaar, kumaoni, rasoli, murree, as well as Thai and afghan, and others.

I think what others said is basically correct--even indoors, one low-watt incandescent bulb can be enough light to keep a plant in flower--good for saving on electricity, potentially, but enough to screw up a bloom cycle!

Depending on just how shaded-out they are for the rest of the day, stretch may also be more of a concern. In my experience, these beasts are going to be pretty tall and gangly any way you slice it, even with tons of very direct light.

Once again, I say go for it, but maybe pay particular attention to verticality when you're planning your space(s) with this variety.

Smokin1

Ngapka, I too am interested in tropical autos. There is an old ( swiss?) Thai variety called thaifun horizon that is autoflowering. What other known tropical varieties do this besides zamal and Tanzanian magic?

ngakpa

Veteran
I sure hope you folks have some of these ready when I'm ready to purchase. This Highla d Thai is very exciting to me . There isn't very many Thai variety available.

in reality, the most famous classic Thai varieties are Lao anyway

the most renowned growing regions in Isan where Thai stick came from are all along the Mekong River, where it makes the border between Thailand and Laos

on the Thai side, in Isan, it's ethnically Lao

so all along the river from Vientiane to That Phanom and even down to Savannakhet - all that region is Lao speaking

the plan is to have several Lao landrace accessions from that region this year

ngakpa

Veteran
Ngapka, I too am interested in tropical autos. There is an old ( swiss?) Thai variety called thaifun horizon that is autoflowering. What other known tropical varieties do this besides zamal and Tanzanian magic?

I can't give you specific strain names, but it's a trait that's widely reported in the literature (e.g. Cannabis: A Complete Guide, by Ernest Small)

at the extremes of distribution of Cannabis, populations can develop the day-neutral (auto) trait

the point is that flowering is initiated independently of day-length (darkness length), not that equatorial landraces are necessarily fast

as said, ime most equatorial landraces are 6 months from seed to harvest, sometimes more like 5

romanoweed

but that sounds like: if i plant my seed (Autotrait- Thai) in januray, then i will probably harest the bud around July??? Is that possible if i doo that here in central Europe? No.. I think thats not what you saying.