What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

please help, can't lose this plant!

UniversalTrees

soil- fox farms ocean forrest/ happyfrog 50/50 mix with dolomite lime and perlite added

Been in 12/12 for a few days, 315 cmh light.

Leafs are taco-ing, stems turning purple, and leaves are discoloring. I haven't fed anything except molasses. I thought it was a magnesium so I added epsom salt 1tbsp/ gallon. And I sprayed them with a calmag foiler feed. They are still progressing worse, and stretching slower than the rest of the plants which are unaffected. I had the same problem last grow, and they never got better, it was the worst looking plant I ever grew. Please help me fix this problem, it can't get any worse. I went ahead and flushed it today, not going to do anything else till I get advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-194104_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-194104_Gallery.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20200924-194052_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-194052_Gallery.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20200924-194037_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-194037_Gallery.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20200924-194019_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-194019_Gallery.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200924_192600.jpg
    20200924_192600.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 20

UniversalTrees

The purpling is usually phosphorus. Whatever your base bloom nutrient is, I'd add more...it's hungry.

Okay 1 reply, any other takers? I haven't added any bloom nutes yet, its been suggested to me to wait after 2 weeks from flip to add them so thats what I've been trying to do. It makes sense though because the new brown spots do point to a phosphorus deficiency. I have a roots organic buddha bloom i can add anytime. Maybe it is time to give a dose of that?

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I've only ran indoors so I'm not sure how it works outdoors but my coco plants get bloom nutrients from day 1 of flip slowly working up in strength.

UniversalTrees

I've only ran indoors so I'm not sure how it works outdoors but my coco plants get bloom nutrients from day 1 of flip slowly working up in strength.

I brought it outside to take a picture in natural light but it is growing indoors under a 315 cmh. Thank you for replying to my thread boss, i'm from the Midwest too

UniversalTrees

I honestly get the best results with just using plain water only.. no matter how little nutes I'll add, everytime shit always gets fucked up. I've used fox farms trio, roots organic, ive had the best results giving them a little bat guano in flower. I dont touch them in veg. I've done grows where I adjust ph, ive done grows without ph'ing, i have not found anything that works for me. IT SUCKS! I still manage to grow really frosty dense buds, but ive never had a great yeild.

I gave them a heavy feeding of roots organic buddha bloom last night, and it looks even worse today. I'm just going to end up replacing it with another strain I have.

I really hate growing weed sometimes

UniversalTrees

How come this plant is all screwed up, when i have 2 other plants same strain same pot size same soil, amd its growing perfect? I don't get it.

UniversalTrees

I'm helpless , at this point I just need to vent my frustrations. Maybe I just need to try a different medium, like coco or dwc

Attachments

• 20200916_015745.jpg
    20200916_015745.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200925_203218.jpg
    20200925_203218.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200925_203229.jpg
    20200925_203229.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 24

RED 1

I'm helpless , at this point I just need to vent my frustrations. Maybe I just need to try a different medium, like coco or dwc

Plain watering, and,thinking that's sufficient enough, might be the problem
This type of "overwatering", might have turned your soil not "beneficiary" enough since most of what nutrients it had, simply have been washed away

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
soil- fox farms ocean forrest/ happyfrog 50/50 mix with dolomite lime and perlite added

Leafs are taco-ing, stems turning purple, and leaves are discoloring. I haven't fed anything except molasses. I thought it was a magnesium so I added epsom salt 1tbsp/ gallon. And I sprayed them with a calmag foiler feed. They are still progressing worse, and stretching slower than the rest of the plants which are unaffected. I had the same problem last grow, and they never got better, it was the worst looking plant I ever grew. Please help me fix this problem, it can't get any worse. I went ahead and flushed it today, not going to do anything else till I get advice. Thanks.

"I haven't fed anything except molasses."

That's the problem. First, all organic nutrients are raw materials, and are best after they have been decomposed by microbes for a while. I like fermenting the plant's own material with cane sugar and water for at least 2 weeks if not much longer. You could probably do the same with molasses. However raw molasses and sugars on the roots, and the magnesium that's also in molasses could cause lockouts.

And I still say - also check the runoff, especially for pH. If there is some kind of anaerobic decomposition going on in the medium, that could pull down the pH.

Before more properly reading this post I wrote:

This looks like magnesium deficiency/lockout.

The plants are literally praying for magnesium, and large leaf damage points to a mobile nutrient, like magnesium.

https://www.rollitup.org/proxy.php?...=834015&hash=77f4edfcc3620ce2da6b5d96a2bcff8f

https://www.rollitup.org/t/help-resources.696596/

Plants use a lot of magnesium, and the cause of the deficiency/lockout could be - in order of probability:

- Actual nutrient deficiency

Many light mixes do not contain enough magnesium, which is why it is always a good idea to add 2 tablespoons per gallon of magnesium lime. They need extra magnesium during flowering. Magnesium helps the green coloration of the leaves, and calyxes are thousands of tiny, rolled up green leaves.

This can be solved with epsom salt. Too much can burn the roots, so take it easy. Start with 1/4 of the recommended dose.

- Blocked drippers

I spot some Tropf Blumats. It could be underwatering caused by blocked drippers.

- Low temperatures while the plant is using magnesium, like when the first pre-flowers show up, especially when using R/O water.

- Insect infestation

Insects can often give a plant a nutrient deficiency (especially mites and aphids), of the nutrient it is using most of at that phase of development (phosphorus in flowering/rooting, potassium during maturation or branching, nitrogen during fast growth, magnesium during early flowering).

The plant otherwise looks good, and is in mid-flowering and needs more magnesium.

Problem Solving

I would look at insect infestation first to rule it out, then at pH and ppm of the run-off.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

if you don't want to add food , at the very least mix up a Gypsum slurry , about 250-300ppm..... so try 5mls per gallon of granulate gypsum.

The molasses is not food for your plant though it's NPK is 1-0-5, it is food for the enzymes and bacteria in your soil.

if that were my plant...... I would mix up 20ml per gallon SEA STORM (liquid) and 5ml per gallon Granulated Gypsum. PH it to 6.8 and give it 2 feedings of that before returning back to a water only regimen. I would top dress Gypsum every watering too by sprinkling a a teaspoon or so on top of the soil and till it in with your fingers before watering.
my guess it that you have enough magnesium based on what you posted but it is getting locked out along with other things which is allowing the plant to form deficiency and excess at same time. It is starving from lockout and a flush with gypsum slurry will reset everything...... or it should anyways.
I haven't grown in the soil OP is using but I'm gonna be the broken record and say it again..... Gypsum..... calcium and sulphur
try it.

UniversalTrees

Thanks for all the words, this is the only forum where i get responses

Maybe I've been mistaking deficiencies as nutrient burn, or lockout, when I simply haven't been giving enough nutes, so when i do add a little and they end up looking worse its because they're still starving..

Here's an update on that plant, I fed it the roots organic that night and it looked worse the next day, but this time I figured its because that stuff is not strong at all and its not instant like synthetic, so I said fuck it and gave it a strong dose of fox farms tiger bloom, and now it's looking much better, a lot less taco and greening back up.
Here it is, first pic. The other 2 are different plants

Attachments

• 20200928_154101.jpg
    20200928_154101.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200926_173312.jpg
    20200926_173312.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200926_173003.jpg
    20200926_173003.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 22

UniversalTrees

Almost looks like a completely healthy plant .
Should i add another dose of the fox farms in another week or so?

Attachments

• 20200928_155008.jpg
    20200928_155008.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 19

GoatCheese

Veteran

To me, that little pale green/yellowing looks like slight drying up damage. I get similar looking leaves every now and then, cause i grow in small pots, and for me it is caused by the soil drying abit too much for too long.
..some plants don't like going dry at all and show signs of this quite easily.

PS.

drying out may also cause leaves going all twisted if it gets too bad for too long. I see that from time to time also.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Here's a photo of one of my plants that went a bit too dry for a while
You can see leaves going pale and new growth growing abit twisted. When this goes on for too long= Plant dries--->you feed/water it a little--->then it dries up too much again---> and so on. If this goes on for a week+ you start seeing pale leaves, proper yellowing and brown spots(you can see little white spots starting to form on the leaf at the bottom of the photo), leaves grow wonky. etc.

picture.php

GoatCheese

Veteran
I had the same problem last grow, and they never got better

Yea, if this is caused by slight underwatering, you won't see the damaged leaves fully recovering (will stay slightly pale thru the rest of the grow), but the new growth should start to look normal