Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Replacing 1000W HPS

Thread Title Search
Replacing 1000W HPS Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2019, 10:39 PM #1
Katsu

Katsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really nice
Replacing 1000W HPS

Here are my basic questions. For a top-notch solution:
1) COB, Quantum Board, or combo?
2) UV B Light - add during last weeks of flower or not?
3) How much (%) will I save DIY vs. Buy from hobbyist vs. Commercial purchase

Think before you speak, then think again.
Give freely without expecting anything in return.
My Kush can beat up your Kush
Katsu is offline Quote

Click for more info about the Majestic 12 LED panel
Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 PM #2
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud of
Have you seen the grow lighting sticky in my signature? (I tryed to compile alot of these answers into one thread)

1. COB means chip on board, Quantum boards are big COB boards essentially.

2. Ideally UV through the whole grow, not just end of flower. Good information about UV in this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354633

3. Would need some example brands to compare to for price % difference. DIY cost is the middlerange around $1 per watt of draw, meaning a 200w build will cost about $200. Premade Amazon Panels are the cheapest and commercial premade fixtures the most expensive around $2 per actual watt of draw (Black Dog, Lumi Grow, Fluence) meaning around $1200 for a 600W fixture.

3000k seems to be the best spectrum under led.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
Sadly Pseudoscience works the same way, and dunning kruger aint helping much either...
The Science Of Grow Lighting (HPS, CMH, LED) & Photosynthesis Explained: (Sticky Thread)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358147

The Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth, Information On Long Term Preservation: (Sticky Thread)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358186

Tons Of Information On Growing, Root Systems and Breeding:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344347

Silicon, The Misunderstood Element.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352413

Tons of information on Humic/Fulvic acid and sources:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352265

HOW TO GET 1.5+ GRAMS PER WATT!:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....330588&page=29

A Guide On When To Plant Outdoors & Force Flowering:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352312

Last edited by Ibechillin; 01-09-2019 at 11:28 PM..
Ibechillin is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 AM #3
Katsu

Katsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really nice
Thanks for the info. What about Quantum Boards and Pucks in combination. I've seen some DIY plans for these. Any benefits?

Think before you speak, then think again.
Give freely without expecting anything in return.
My Kush can beat up your Kush
Katsu is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 AM #4
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
I would think if you get the right board you might not need any COB supplementation. I guess it comes down to justifying the extra cost. If you're cool with DIY COBs you'll also have to spring for some heat sinks and drivers I suspect. But again you could accomplish the same wattage with the right unit and not have to fuss with multiple modules or fixtures.
bsgospel is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 03:12 AM #5
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
Save time buying from the hobbyist, save bucks (possibly) DIY.
bsgospel is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:25 AM #6
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
DIY LED seems to be significantly less expensive, while having access to nearly all the same tech as the proprietary models. Anyone with DIY skills should definitely look at LEDs.

What's your budget? Top of the line 50w COBs are around $25-30/USD. They require cooling, so they need a heat sink and usually at least one fan. Then you'll need to drive them, and there are a lot of options.

Cheaper options exist, though slightly less efficient. At least one mfg has COBs with built in drivers. They still need heat sinks and usually fans, but the wiring is as simple as soldering 2 wires of a plug to the chip. I personally picked up 1040w (actual watts) of full-spectrum and warm-white spectrum 30w and 50w COBS for $47.

Here's 540w's waiting for soldering, heat sinks and fans.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 AM #7
stoney917
i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD

Location: sPeCial EdUcAtIoN tRaiLoR behind the school with the rest of the window lickers
stoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant future
How big is the grow??? Was there any issues running 1ks... need more info to give an honest answer but in my Opinion only things that I'd swap 1ks with would be 630cmh ideally I'd only swap a few 1k hps and use the cmh for extra spectrum unless I was dealing with temp issues but look into the 630 they are way more bang for ur buck then leds n grow some killer plants

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 AM #8
stoney917
i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD

Location: sPeCial EdUcAtIoN tRaiLoR behind the school with the rest of the window lickers
stoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant future
Never mind didn't realize I was in the led section , just clicked on the post from the main page. Still stand by my opinion

Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 AM #9
f-e

f-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura about
Hello Douglas
Not bad them boards. Many utility light manufacturers are using them, and getting type approval. Which means low levels of radio interference. Unlike the next cheapest option, which is $10 ballasts I could barely impact with three common mode chokes. Totally unusable.

They're about 80lm/w which is somewhat off the 150lm you can expect now. So your going to need twice the electric. Making twice as much heat. It's common to see them in fittings at your local diy store though, so you can sling something together quite quickly. I carry a couple of 50w led wall lights that use them, just for emergencies.

Using them in place of a 1000? I'm not sure that's viable. Maybe 1500w would be needed. 50w modules is the financial sweet spot, as bigger one's and bigger heatsinks are getting a little less common.

As a wild idea, you could use thermal plaster to glue these to a 2x1 metal section, that you run water through as cooling. It's a bit messy though, and not particularly reliable. CPU cooling blocks are another option for packing these things closely together. I'm going off topic though.

There is a spread of opinion. To replace a 1000 I would start with 800w of led. Some people feel 500w enough. Others feel it simply can't be done.

I physically can't build anything past 100w. With huge heatsinks costing the earth, and fan assistance, that led is just too hot to last long term. It's efficiency is down, and it just becomes unworthwhile. I believe others have also done the math, which is why we see so many builds using lots of 50w units. Building 15 of the things though.. I don't know. 400 euro maybe.
f-e is online now Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM #10
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Oh, my mistake. I didn't mean I'm replacing my 1000k hps in my tent with these. I'm working on building smaller boxes for multiple projects. I'm turning off the 1k very shortly.

The water cooling is interesting, I literally just saw something which would work nicely a few minutes ago. It was a water cooled CPU cooling block. Plumbing isn't a big deal for me and I'm very understanding of water and electronics. lol I hear you on the price of passive heat sinks. LOL Almost makes me wish I worked in an extrusion/machining plant for aluminum.