What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mailing cannabis from one legal state to another

I wood

Mail system is federal, all cannabis is federally illegal.
Bad idea.
That being said, people do it all the time, most succeed I would guess.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I'd like to know ppl opinions of sending clones to a p.o box in legal states.

Still illegal but doable without losing the shipment. The hard thing is how you prepare the package so clones can survive the 3-5 days it takes to travel in summer or winter. PM me if you want to know the tricks for success.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just be careful about how you pack things and how your acting when you ship it & you shouldn't have a problem. Still not legal though.

Still illegal but doable without losing the shipment. The hard thing is how you prepare the package so clones can survive the 3-5 days it takes to travel in summer or winter. PM me if you want to know the tricks for success.

The secret's out...
Use a ziplock baggie & fresh cuts mailed immediately. Place cuts in bag & remove as much air as possible & ship in a small flat rate box.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
We've been learning what works best to insure it don't get busted and mostly that the clones survive. We had some failures at first, now we got it down. The biggest killer is heat, especially shipping in summer. Second biggest killer is clone movement that breaks them up during shipping. We have shipped a lot of them that are already rooted in rockwool and also just mailed unrooted cuts. Cuts work but maybe rooted ones work better. Cuts don't move around like them rockwool cubes do but I like the rooted ones still.
1) Tupperwear style containers. The cheap ones the sell with press down tops that seal.
2) Taping them down inside the container, very important. I use regular clear shipping tape. Wrap the moist cube with cellophane and tape it down real good inside the container. Ball up some cellophane to fill the other voids in container but not with too much pressure on plants.
3) Sending unrooted cuts you wrap moist tissue around the bottom of the stems, then cellophane around the tissue and tape them down same way.
4) Then you vacuum seal the container. Don't try to suck all the air out of the bag but just to seal smell inside.
5) Get the right size priority shipping box to hold everything. You need to layer all the walls of the box inside with styrofoam. 1/2" or 1". I cut apart them cheapo styrofoam coolers they sell.
6) Very important no matter what season you ship in- buy at least 2 of them igloo gel blocks. The blue ones you stick in the freezer to freeze then use to keep stuff cold in coolers. Lay them under your containers of clones. Without these in your shipment your chance of success is low. Not taping clones down the chances of success is really low.
7) Take care to have no pot smell on or around you when you pack it up. Make sure nothing can move around inside the box.
8) Ship early in the week- monday or tuesday so the package doesn't have to sit at the po on a sunday at the other end.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
What if you dipped them.in cloning gel first? Just a thought, wondering if it would improve unrooted cut success

Cuts don't make it sometimes because they wilt beyond recovery. Rooted clones in rockwool don't wilt as much like cuts from what I see and if they do they recover. So that's the difference.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never shipped plants... Only cuts...

I used to place the cut tips in a moist paper towel but I was recently advised not to because the moisture, sealed with the cut, could cause pathogens to thrive during shipment.

meizzwang

Thanks everyone! Seems not worth the trouble in my case, just wanted to send some gifts to friends but maybe I can get them a dispensary giftcard instead to avoid breaking the law, LOL

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Get some Clone Shippers...

W/LED lights, about $10 Google them.

Good Luck :party:

Worthless from what we found. We tried with and without led lights shinning on the clones during shipment. The clones don't need any light at all for the 3-5 days is what we found. We looked at them clone shippers and said no way. That's out opinion though. Goodluck however you do it!

Buddle

Veteran
You don't need water or damp paper towels either. A leaking pkg is a good way to be exposed. If you use a mature branch for your cutting it naturally forms a callous on the cut which will retain plenty of moisture until you receive it. You can then just make a fresh cut and root her up. :)

Mazinga

Sorry guys, don't wanna start a new thread.

I'm planning to have a trip to CA, and just wondering if you suggest to send some clones by mail or better carry them with me on the plane?

meizzwang

Seems like if airlines follow or enforce federal laws, it's not lawful to carry clones from one legal state to the next.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd think mailing would be less risky but there's no reason you couldn't pack some for a flight either. They won't triggered a metal detector if they're on your person but I'd be leary about putting them on any carry on baggage.

Latest posts

Latest posts