What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

ogrefugee

Official Tree Taster
Veteran
yo HK, here's a quick one:

In soil (blood, bone, perlite, soil, 100% organic humus)

I just purchased Pure Blend Pro Bloom (here ). My plants in flower currently are 2 weeks in, 1 sativa dom and 1 TFB (as described by the thread "ThunderfuckinBlockhead" in the grow diaries forum). At what strength should i feed them? should i include other ferts to supplement or just use this alone? Did i pick a good organic fert?

p.s. they have had 1 feeding of a generic bloom fert at 10-60-10 (half strength) 1 week in and a serving of super thrive 2 weeks in. that is all the food i have ever given them.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
ogrefugee said:
yo HK, here's a quick one:

In soil (blood, bone, perlite, soil, 100% organic humus)

I just purchased Pure Blend Pro Bloom (here ). My plants in flower currently are 2 weeks in, 1 sativa dom and 1 TFB (as described by the thread "ThunderfuckinBlockhead" in the grow diaries forum). At what strength should i feed them? should i include other ferts to supplement or just use this alone? Did i pick a good organic fert?

p.s. they have had 1 feeding of a generic bloom fert at 10-60-10 (half strength) 1 week in and a serving of super thrive 2 weeks in. that is all the food i have ever given them.

Well first of all I wouldn't give them any more superthrive. In veg it's fine but in flower I think it's a waste. It primarily is a root stimulator and after the stretch during the first couple of weeks of flower, your roots are pretty much set. Plus it is possible use of superthrive in flower will interfere with your flowering cycle. Many people have reported odd effects attributed to use of superthrive in flower.

The other fert you used sounds like a typical chem fert ratio that people use in flower. It's good you went half strength though 10-60-10 is way too high a ratio of P and not enough K if you were to do chemical again I would recommend 10-30-20 for flower, such as you get with a product by Peter's called Jack's Classic.

Pure Blend Pro is a good organic fert, in fact it's one of the more highly rated (no pun intended :) ) ferts reccommended in the forums. It's really hard to say how you should feed a plant until you are actually growing it. Some strains gobble up ferts with no signs of burning others will burn with it being weaker then reccommended. What I do when I'm working with a new strain or a new fert, I start with the reccommended dosage listed on the ferts directions (for pureblend pro it should be 30ml per gallon of water I believe). Now being that pureblend pro is organic it might take about a week to see the impact of the fert as organics take about to break down to where the plant can use it. Anyway you start with the suggested strength if no ill effects are observed and/or it looks like it's not getting enough then you may want to increase the strength slightly (increase by small amounts though so maybe the next time you would do 35ml per gallon if 30ml didn't seem enough). Once you get to the point where you notice the tips of your leaves are burning then you have reached your upward limit for that strain and you should back off slightly. Of course if the recommended fert causes tip burn then you'll want to adjust downward and try 25ml per gallon the next time.

PureBlend Pro is a decent product although in my opinion it's a bit pricey for what you get in results. The PureBlend line is a favorite of BOG although I'm pretty sure he reccommends the PureBlend over the PureBlend Pro. I asked him for his view on it once and he said both were good but he found that the PureBlend Pro seemed diluted compared to the regular PureBlend line. I did notice it seemed kind of weak but haven't tried the regular PureBlend line to compare it with.

Last edited:
dear old farts

I currently have about 9 clones in my mini 80W fluoro grow space, below my 400W hps space (closet). The clones are about 8 weeks old now and look really good, about 5-8 nodes nice green leaves, what more do you want. Ok I have never made clones and now am not sure how long I will be able to keep them. If I just leave them in there and ocasionally clip or bend the tops, so they dont hit the light, will they live a long time? How long?
Also how should I judge what clone to make my next plant?

Thanks!

HempKat

Veteran
Closetchronic said:
dear old farts

I currently have about 9 clones in my mini 80W fluoro grow space, below my 400W hps space (closet). The clones are about 8 weeks old now and look really good, about 5-8 nodes nice green leaves, what more do you want. Ok I have never made clones and now am not sure how long I will be able to keep them. If I just leave them in there and ocasionally clip or bend the tops, so they dont hit the light, will they live a long time? How long?
Also how should I judge what clone to make my next plant?

Thanks!

You can keep clones a good while, weak light (like fluoros) weak nute diet, (half strength) and you can keep them going fairly slow. Of course you could always just take more clones in the future and get rid of these clones (if they got too big). As for which ones to flower, well, which everyone looks healthiest and like it will best fit your grow space.

Xdox

Hey HempKat I got a question about clones too, I started some plants outdoors like at the 10-15th of this month and was wondering if I would still be able to clone? and if so when? Because I only have 7 plants outdoor and really wanted to get enough bud to last till my next grow which wont be able to be till next season I guess this is my second official grow so Im still very new. I live in a mountainous region our first frost is right around September 25 to October 1st. Also is it possible to start a grow in like the winter or something cause I dont know how much my plants will yield and this is my only source of bud all year round. Sorry for the long post also the plants are about 6in tall Id guess, I'll try and get some pics tommorow. Thanks.

Last edited:
G

hi old farts. hope your zimmer frames are holding up. just a question about perlite. is it possible (or advisable) to grow in just perlite? i've got some seedlings that have stretched so i'm going to bury them deep in pots of perlite up to the cotyledons. then i want to run them in an ebb and flow table. is it possible? i think it is but although i've grown in many mediums with perlite mixed in i've never used pure perlite. i plan to hand water until they'v developed a bit then stick em in the e/f table. does this sound viable? cheers.

HempKat

Veteran
Xdox said:
Hey HempKat I got a question about clones too, I started some plants outdoors like at the 10-15th of this month and was wondering if I would still be able to clone? and if so when? Because I only have 7 plants outdoor and really wanted to get enough bud to last till my next grow which wont be able to be till next season I guess this is my second official grow so Im still very new. I live in a mountainous region our first frost is right around September 25 to October 1st. Also is it possible to start a grow in like the winter or something cause I dont know how much my plants will yield and this is my only source of bud all year round. Sorry for the long post also the plants are about 6in tall Id guess, I'll try and get some pics tommorow. Thanks.

Well I'd let them get a bit taller if possible. If one looks like it might supply you with enough clones by itself you may want to do that one now. Your biggest problem isn't so much getting the clones but once you got them and they are ready to go, flowering season will be drawing near, so they won't get much size to them.

As for starting a grow in winter, sure, you can do that, but it would have to be indoors, especially in the mountains. There is no way a marijuana plant will survive a winter in the mountains where first frost comes in September unless indoors. Which of course means investing in lights and other indoor equipment. With that and a decent size room (Enough for say 10 plants) you can maintain a decent steady supply and grow whenever you feel like. The main drawback is indoors you don't get the monster sized plants the sun can give you.

HempKat

Veteran
herbie3000 said:
hi old farts. hope your zimmer frames are holding up. just a question about perlite. is it possible (or advisable) to grow in just perlite? i've got some seedlings that have stretched so i'm going to bury them deep in pots of perlite up to the cotyledons. then i want to run them in an ebb and flow table. is it possible? i think it is but although i've grown in many mediums with perlite mixed in i've never used pure perlite. i plan to hand water until they'v developed a bit then stick em in the e/f table. does this sound viable? cheers.

I've never tried it myself so I can't say for sure but I have seen people talking about it. As long as you keep in mind that it's going to need a steady source of food and water and you can provide that, then it should work

Farmer Joe

About how many days into flowering with a sativa dominant strain do trichomes start to appear? Mine have been flowering a while and I do not see any yet. I just have A LOT of pistils.

Last edited:
Farmer Joe said:
About how many days into flowering with a sativa dominant strain do trichomes start to appear? Mine have been flowering a while and I do not see any yet. I just have A LOT of pistils.

Seems like this is your first grow. It will take about 2 weeks for a thrichs to start forming, bu then it really goes nuts, depending on strain.

G

Are there any ramifications of growing under full sun and then at night under a HPS and then stopping the "nighty-nite under the lightly-lite" and just keeping 'em outdoors?...will the disruption to the 24 hour photo screw em up and cause an early premature flowering? They are only maybe 3 weeks old but well established with their 3rd set of leaves.

11993DSC02373-thumb.JPG

Farmer Joe

Closetchronic said:
Seems like this is your first grow. It will take about 2 weeks for a thrichs to start forming, bu then it really goes nuts, depending on strain.

It's been at LEAST 3 weeks of the smaller of my plants.. no thrichs yet. Imma get some pics.

HempKat

Veteran
Farmer Joe said:

It varies some due to strain and in my opinion also due to veg time. Also being from seed or clone can make a difference. Typically my plants which are sativa dom have taken about 12 days before triches start showing, but that is when I veg 8 or more weeks. One crop I vegged less then 8 weeks and it took about 3 weeks for triches to show.

Now clones, if taken from a mature mother, will tend to show triches in about 12 days. This is because clones start off as mature as the mother they came from. So they are ready for flower production regardless of the length of veg time.

HempKat

Veteran
icclearly said:
Are there any ramifications of growing under full sun and then at night under a HPS and then stopping the "nighty-nite under the lightly-lite" and just keeping 'em outdoors?...will the disruption to the 24 hour photo screw em up and cause an early premature flowering? They are only maybe 3 weeks old but well established with their 3rd set of leaves.

11993DSC02373-thumb.JPG

The ramification of using the light after the sun goes down is you are keeping the plant in a lights on stage for a longer period of the day. If anything this should cause them to stay in veg rather then go to flower. Now when you stop the light at night the sudden more dramatic change may trigger flowering or it may just stay in veg if the outdoor cycle isn't short enough for flower yet.

Indoor growers that debate 18/6 vs 24/0 will often say that while a longer lights on period will give more growth the lack of a dark period (in 24/0) also makes the plant seem less healthy. So my only concern would be, are you making it less healthy by cutting into it's dark period? On the other hand if a plant got outdoors late in the season and you were trying to give it more light to make up for lost growing time, then doing this in theory should help the plant be bigger by the time it does flower naturally.

HempKat

Veteran
Farmer Joe said:
It's been at LEAST 3 weeks of the smaller of my plants.. no thrichs yet. Imma get some pics.

It can take up to 3 weeks, tell me what your veg period was like. If you flowered based on size and not the plant sexing itself then it might take 3 weeks for triches to show, maybe even a bit longer

G

hi farts

thanks for all the help in the past.

i'm putting together a 3kw grow (+ a/c and fans etc). i need to know what i need to get in terms of a power board so i can run all the power from one point. is it possible? can you tell me how to do it?

thanks.

Latest posts

Latest posts