What's new

AUSTRALIAN Slang

T

Teddybrae

I was watching National Television here ... the Governments station ... and the programme was paying respect to Firefighters who were involved in the massive bushfires that burned here recently.

Anyway this Guy on camera was starting to get excited as he recalled the moment his farm almost burnt down ... and then the wind changed.

He said: "When that happened I thought a Fairy had flown down and kissed my dick"!

Now, I 've lived in Oz for more than 50 years and love the language and I 've knocked about a bit but I 've never heard that term.

Our National Broadcaster is quite liberal, and it was after 9pm, so the words weren't bleeped out, but they didn't show them in the teletext ...

Funny expression, eh?

Gry

Veteran
What a wonderfully creative and imaginative use of the language.

Brother Nature

Aussies certainly have a way with the English language. Us Kiwis give em a lot of shit, but how could you dislike a country that comes up with gems like that. :D

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
is anyone 'Punching some Cones' out there? <Aussie Slang for taking a bong hit - till the cone is sucked into the bong>

A

anoydas 666

wouldn't have been heard in a shearing shed that's fer sure.

A

anoydas 666

Aussies certainly have a way with the English language. Us Kiwis give em a lot of shit, but how could you dislike a country that comes up with gems like that. :D

:biggrin:when ya give us the shits DUTTON kicks you back home lol.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just stood on the “” Jack Horner””,,,,,all the “” rub a dubs “ closed,,,,,,scratching me “”uncle Ted”” with itchy “” short and ”talls ””,,,,,,,,lol,,,,s2

T

Teddybrae

Couldn't give you more rep so I 'll do this instead. What a laugh! Cockney slang seems a lot like Aussie slang. Thinks: that's right!!! Early Australians were significantly made up of London criminals ... and the tradition lives on.
And , er ... Hope yer plates of meat didn't get sore ...

Just stood on the “” Jack Horner””,,,,,all the “” rub a dubs “ closed,,,,,,scratching me “”uncle Ted”” with itchy “” short and ”talls ””,,,,,,,,lol,,,,s2

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pates ok thanks Teddy,,,,,,,
People over being complete “” oil tankers” with the social distancing,,,
A lot of selfish “” James Hunts” who couldn’t tell there “” bottle and glass “” from there “”Albert Docks”” lol,lol,,,,s2

A

anoydas 666

PUB,
CARTON OF LONG NECKS= I DOZEN BOTTLES .SLAB.
CHEAP BOX OF WINE. =LUNATIC SOUP.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I was watching National Television here ... the Governments station ... and the programme was paying respect to Firefighters who were involved in the massive bushfires that burned here recently.

I wasn't a firefighter, but I set quite a few bushes on fire when I was younger!
These days I like the way that girls keep 'em shaved...

When i was in NZ 35 years ago, I liked some of the words they used..

I asked where I could find a phone booth...The guy looked at me like I was a nut, until he realized I wanted a "phone box"...

Also "car park".. i figured out pretty quick that the guy meant a parking lot..

I heard of a Yank who moved to NZ when he was in high school...
He got a huge smile on his face when the cute girl sitting at the desk in front of him, turned around and asked him if he had a rubber...