What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Guide To Cloning In Rockwool Or Aeroponics With 100% Success Rates!

Snype

Veteran
youre the smarty pants who figured out how to explain proper moisture. thats so simple and perfect. its the single hardest thing about explaining cloning to newcomers. i am relearning from the ground up after abandoning it for a little while. aero rooter, reoccurring rot related failures, im going to try your cleaning. i talked to a fish tank pro and he recomended muriatic acid {diluted) for breakingg down hidden encrusted gunga. have you ever tried doing aero to the pre rooting stage and then putting into medium. i know it is probably not something that someone with success would even consider but it was an idea i had for an experiment. what do you think? thanks sooo much for posting this, its a very nice tutorial. i am intrigued to hear more of your tips that you mentioned. whats the cutting location you speak of.

Yeah the moisture level is a big part of the rooting process in Rockwool. I stopped using my AeroCloner as well but I just broke out 4 EZ Clone 60's to prepare for this years outdoor crop. Not really trying to take 240 clones in Rockwool. My cleaning technique will work for you with the Erythromycin but make sure to clean out everything before you use it. I'd even replace the sprayers and rinse out the manifold and make sure there's nothing build up in there. Use new Neoprene as well. As far as where to cut the clones, it really doesn't matter but I think I get faster roots with very specific cuts on the MOM. I won't even try to explain it because it will be so confusing to people. I will have to take some pictures. Maybe tomorrow. One hint that I will say beforehand, when you take you cut, you will notice that there is no white and only green inside the tissue of the stem. There's no white ring.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
yeah i think i know what youre talking about. that fine line between soft tissue and woody tissue. rigid enough to poke without bending yet not so far that there is a woody pith.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
day 4 after following this guide to the t. or at least the recipe on the pink post it note on the photo at the beginning of this thread.
rockwool
2 gals water with
8 micro
12 bloom
1mil super thrive
3 drops bleach
ph 5.6
put in alcohol sterilized trays with dome
after squeezing about 5% of moisture from fully soaked cubes
kept it at 79 degrees
at 4 100% of plants i checked have the warty white pre root formations i imagine theyll pop through in a few days. fastest ive ever experienced root growth nubs ever. nice thread!!!!
thanks

Snype

Veteran
day 4 after following this guide to the t. or at least the recipe on the pink post it note on the photo at the beginning of this thread.
rockwool
2 gals water with
8 micro
12 bloom
1mil super thrive
3 drops bleach
ph 5.6
put in alcohol sterilized trays with dome
after squeezing about 5% of moisture from fully soaked cubes
kept it at 79 degrees
at 4 100% of plants i checked have the warty white pre root formations i imagine theyll pop through in a few days. fastest ive ever experienced root growth nubs ever. nice thread!!!!
thanks

That's my best formula for cloning! Glad it's working out for you!

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

ROOT NUBS IN 3 DAYS!!!! FOLLOWED BY AN INSPECTION ON 4TH DAY. FIRST RANDOM CUBE I DISSECTED FOR INSPECTION ALREADY HAD TINY 1MM ROOTS STICKING OUT I SUSPECT ILL HAVE ROOTS PUSHING THROUGH WOOL ON DAY 7 AT LATEST.

AWESOME THREAD DUDE MY CLONING DISASTER IS NOW A MASTERFUL SUCCESS WITH YOUR HELP I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!! i sucked at cloning before this thread. 70% at day 15 was always a good run for me.
:dance013::woohoo::peacock:

caps intentional to reflect my feelings

Snype

Veteran
I'm glad that my threads are helping you guys! I try my best to give you all the details that I think of. It's easy to know what I know after taking over 20,000 clones over the last 21 years. Thanks for listening.

Remi1

Thank you Snype!!!!!
I've been banging my head against the wall with other methods that just didn't seem to work for one reason or another. I followed your technique with the cubes that you have on the pink post it & have success. So far 50 out of 57 clones have enough roots to be transferred to cups in just 10 days. Thanks.

Snype

Veteran
Thank you Snype!!!!!
I've been banging my head against the wall with other methods that just didn't seem to work for one reason or another. I followed your technique with the cubes that you have on the pink post it & have success. So far 50 out of 57 clones have enough roots to be transferred to cups in just 10 days. Thanks.

Lol! I'm very excited for you! I'm glad that you took the time to listen to my techniques!

greenops

Thanks for this Snype. I'm new to cloning and this helps a lot!

In your first post u have a picture of a clone with pistils on it.
Can you share you're experience on cloning a flowering plant, how long it takes to root, how big will it grow 10 weeks after the cut?

To be specific, I'm going to pop around 30 regular seeds. Due to time and space issues, I can only veg them for about 4 weeks. I don't think the plants will have clone worthy shoots at 4 weeks of veg, so I was thinking of flipping to 12/12 then just take clones once I see pre flowering pistils (much sooner than the one in your pic).

Would that be possible? Or should I try to take clones before the flip, even though the shoots may be too small at that stage.

Snype

Veteran
Thanks for this Snype. I'm new to cloning and this helps a lot!

In your first post u have a picture of a clone with pistils on it.
Can you share you're experience on cloning a flowering plant, how long it takes to root, how big will it grow 10 weeks after the cut?

To be specific, I'm going to pop around 30 regular seeds. Due to time and space issues, I can only veg them for about 4 weeks. I don't think the plants will have clone worthy shoots at 4 weeks of veg, so I was thinking of flipping to 12/12 then just take clones once I see pre flowering pistils (much sooner than the one in your pic).

Would that be possible? Or should I try to take clones before the flip, even though the shoots may be too small at that stage.

I don't really take flowering clones. It's all I had at the time that I took those pictures for you guys to see. If the cutting that you take has a bud on it, it's called "Monster Cropping". The roots usually will take longer to come (up to 1 month) and it will look like nothing is happening. The bud will eventually fall off as new growing shoots appear. Cloning a plant with a bud will make your plant grow many tops. Some people enjoy growing this way. The down side is that most of the time, you will get single leaves that look funny that will take a few weeks to go away. Eventually the plant will look normal but it can take time and it is dependent on the strain that you are growing. I'd rather take cuts of plants in VEG.

As far as your issues that you are talking about, take clones no longer than 7 days into flowering and you'll be all set. You should be able to get at least 1 clone from the top within a month of your seed start. If you can take the clones before you put them into flowering. It could be faster this way.

greenops

Thanks Snype.

Ok, I see what I can do before the flip. I'd like to avoid taking a top off, so i'm looking for lower shoots. If they are too small I'm going to wait until they stretch, but i'm sure i'll be able to take cuts before the plants go in full flowering mode. (so i'm not looking to monster crop)

My other question is, how big can a clone taken from a pre flowering mom get in 11 weeks? 11 weeks is the time these clones will have to spend in the veg cab, until the moms are harvested and dried in the flowering cab.
I've heard that cuttings taken after the flip take more time due to reveg... but if they are taken before full flowering mode i think the revegging period won't take all too long, right?
So would it be possible to grow that 1st generation clone, then take clones from it again within those 11 weeks? I'd like to use the 2nd gen clone to replace the original moms and get rid of the 1st gen clone... also due to space issues in the veg cab.

Aeroponics
I have to say that I'm pretty excited about my cloning formula! I've done about a couple years of testing on this formula and the results just keep getting better. The last run, I got root nubs formed in 72 hours! Some of you may be skeptical but if you are why not give it a try and see what happens. I hate to be promoting one of the products that I think is the key to my formula but I have to put this information out there.

First I'd like to start out by stating that I do not use any gels or powders to dip the cuttings. I don't dip any cuttings in anything. I also do not score or shave any part of the cutting whatsoever and I think that it is crazy to do that. All that I do is cut the cutting at a 45 degree angle with a pair of scissors and stick it in the EZ Clone 60.

Before I place any cuttings into the cloner, I make sure that the cloner is 100% sterile with Physan 20 or Bleach. If it is not, I give 6 treatments of Erythromycin for 6 days. Once my treatments are done and my cloner is rinsed out real well, I place new sprayers, tubing and neoprene and add 10 Gallons of tap water to the cloner.

After I add 10 Gallons of tap water, I add:

20 mL General Hydroponic FloraMicro
30 mL General Hydroponic FloraBloom
3 mL SuperTHRIVE
0.5 mL Clorox Bleach

I make sure to pH the solution to 6.0 after I add in all the above products.

I can't stress this enough, every single step in my process is very important. There is not one that is more important than the other. It is extremely important that the MOMS that you take your cuts from are in extremely excellent health. Not only that, it's also important that the run-off of your medium is in line. Soil run-off should be 6.0 - 6.5, hydro run-off should be 5.8 - 6.2. Coco should be somewhere in between soil and hydro. It is also important that your mothers are well fed about 5 days before you take the cuttings and the medium is not dry at the time that you take the cuttings.

Once you follow the steps above, I also advise to change out the air pump of the cloner to a size of how ever much solution the cloner holds, your air pump should equal to those liters or gallons per minute. So if you have an EZ Clone 60 which holds 10 Gallons of Solution (37.9 Liter), your air pump should be rated at 19 Liters / Minute. I use 4 air stones with the EZ Clone 60.

Now after all that work, all you have to do is place your cuttings in the cloner and wait a few days to see root nubs appear! I like my solution to be somewhere in the range of 75-82 degrees F. Also remember that some strains are harder to root than others but on easier strains, you can get root nubs in 3 days and roots like this in 10 days or less:

View Image

And these are the Root Nubs forming on the 3rd day:

View Image

Don't believe me though, try it for yourself and report back to this thread!!!

Hey Snype, I had a couple questions:

Do you cycle you water pump in your cloner?

What's your final ppms after the micro/bloom combo?

Also, as a side note, there are heat sterilizable cloning collars...they've helped me get past both pythium and cyanobacterium.

Thanks for all your wisdom!
:tiphat:

Hey Snype, I had a couple questions:

Do you cycle you water pump in your cloner?

What's your final ppms after the micro/bloom combo?

Also, as a side note, there are heat sterilizable cloning collars...they've helped me get past both pythium and cyanobacterium.

Thanks for all your wisdom!
:tiphat:

Ok, so after reading more of your post I realize you don't cycle your time.

I'm still curious, what are your final ppm's in the cloner after adding the flora micro & bloom?

Thanks! :tiphat:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Ok, so after reading more of your post I realize you don't cycle your time.

I'm still curious, what are your final ppm's in the cloner after adding the flora micro & bloom?

Thanks! :tiphat:

im firing up a batch later tonight. ill post the ppms. i wish they had those perma clone collars for the power cloner. i picked up the 165 on sale from flood damage in the wharehouse. it is awesome. but the collars elude me. they are having some manufacturing issue.
on a side note. 140 is a high enough temp to erradicate a lot of nasties. so i essentially pasteurize my collars in a bucket of tap turned to the highest setting on my tank which gets it over 140. doesnt seem to adversely effect the neoprene. afterwards when the water cools add a little dish soap and physan 20. shake bucket every few minutes for a half how and rinse with plain cold tap.
does a good job. i wish i could just bake em though.

Thanks for the reply Str8E,

I suspect the ppm to end up around 300 - 400, based on some math from the GH site. still, let me know

I use the ezclone permaclones, but PC has collars for turbokloner and power cloner on their site..

I pressure cook my permaclones and it sterilizes the collars completely based on them having me back using my Ezclone w/ confidence (w/ heavy bleaching of the systems, of course). ..

still I don't get roots like Snypes'...he has a density I have never seen, even when I'm working with a new cloner. I suspect it's his recipes w/ airstone. I have the airstones and want to get my ppm's of bloom nutes dialed in.

I'm using hormex instead of superthrive. Hormex is 3x stronger B1 and 5x on NAA...with IBA as icing on the cake.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i think the superthrive has tricantonal. i use it. its cheap. i dont know what i think of it in general. foliar feeding half way through the process with 1/4 to 1/2 strength veg nutes can be a game changer too. especilly if you are seeing late process yellowing. foliar cures that issue for me. and give them the umph to push through to the bad ass root phase.

Snype, 2 questions for you:

-Aside from always having healthy moms, are you feeding them something special? What nutrients are you using in veg?

-Do you do anything different to plants beforehand if you know you will be taking cuts?

I haven't had your results yet but I'm still dialing things like temperature in. Just checking over any specifics I may have missed.

Snype

Veteran
I tried to answer some other posts here but I lost all the work that I typed. Sorry.

Snype, 2 questions for you:

-Aside from always having healthy moms, are you feeding them something special? What nutrients are you using in veg?
That would depend on what medium and style of growing I was in. Most of the time I used FFOF Soil and when the organics run out I use:
6 mL General Hydroponic Flora Series Micro
9 mL General Hydroponic Flora Series Bloom
1 Gram of General Hydroponic Kool Bloom Powder
All these measurements are for 1 Gallon

-Do you do anything different to plants beforehand if you know you will be taking cuts?
I feed my plants with the above formula around 10 days before I take cuts and then again 3 days before I take my cuttings.
I haven't had your results yet but I'm still dialing things like temperature in. Just checking over any specifics I may have missed.
Some strains and pheno's can be harder to clone than others. Good luck!
Answered above in bold