What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

21 days into flower, is this bud rot or pistils naturally changing color?

How long has this problem been going on?
5 days
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)
Growing in a spare bedroom that has been completely sealed in plastic and disinfected with a 10% bleach solution

What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)
Hand Watering in 3 gallon pots

What STRAIN are you growing?
Grand Daddy Purple

What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
Clones in rockwool

What is the age of your plants?
21 days into flower

How tall are the plants?
16”

What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
Flower

What Technique are you using?
Hand watering in Coco coir

What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
Canna Coco

What is the Water temperature?

What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?
White and super healthy

What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)

Canna A + B, Rhizotonic, Cannazym, PK13/14, Canna Boost

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
12ml per gallon of A+B, 2ml/gal of Rhizotonic, 10ml/gal of Cannazym, 15ml/gal of Boost, 10ml/gal of PK13/14

How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)
Once ever other day.

How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)
Every time I water

If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
Bloom nutes are the same as veg nutes per Canna feed schedule

What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using?
Tap water is .25 EC. My total EC is at 1.8 so subtract the .25 of the tap water and I’m at 1.55

What is the pH of the "Tank"?

Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment?
I hope so!

When was your last watering?
yesterday

What is your water temps?

When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)
NA

How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
NA

What size bulb are you using?
1 400W MH for veg and 2 600W HPS for bloom

What is the distance to the canopy?
18 inches

What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?
58%

What is the canopy temperature?

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
70/82

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
435CFM in a 7x9.5 foot room for bloom but I also leave the door open with a large room fan blowing into room as well.

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Just keeping the door open for now for intake. The room is 9.5x9.5 and is divided into a veg area and a bloom area. Veg is about 4x5 and bloom is about 7x9.5. I have a 4” HO Can Fan for the veg room and 6” CAP Valueline fan for the bloom room.

Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
18inch oscillating fan blowing directly on plants.

Is your water HARD or SOFT?
.25 EC

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Tap water

Are you using water from a water softener?
No

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched
no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?
No

Are plant's infected with pest's
No

So i guess I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I don't know what to think. Is this just the natural progression of the pistils turning reddish brown or a sign of something else? There are only a few buds that show signs of this and I didn't think that the pistils changed colors until close to harvest time.

The pics below are of the normal looking buds. 95% of them look just like these do.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The rest of the pictures are of the buds in question. I guess I'm just being overly cautious.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So what do you all think? I hope you all say it's natural!!!

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're right, some pistils are starting to curl. They look a little early, but many things could cause it. Rough handling, someone touching or grabbing the buds. Overwatering. 3g pots are a bit big for 16" high plants.

No, I'm not spraying them with anything. The buds that are affected seem to be ones that leaves are rubbing against so maybe that's causing it. I'm posting a few pictures of a few of the leaves that don't quite look right. Maybe that'll give a clue. I just assumed that I had spilled nutes on some of the leaves and that was why they have burn marks but you tell me. This is my first grow so I don't really know what to expect.

Some of the leaves are curling under. I only have a few leaves hear and there. Maybe 5 total out of the entire bunch.
DSC03002.jpg

The rest of these pix are just of some cancerous leaves that have popped up.
DSC03001.jpg
DSC03000.jpg
DSC02999.jpg

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi CC, I agree with you, over cautious, nothing to worry about with your pistols, they will grow new ones in a day or so, however you are getting slight leaf curl that shows you are over feeding a tiny amount and you need to lower a touch, your plants look lovely apart from that.
Edit :- Looking at the last photo.... that looks like a slight Mag deficit to me.

Last edited:

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if this carry's on you might have a spiller in the room ...Pistels that get pollinated tend to curl up and change color :2cents:

if this carry's on you might have a spiller in the room ...Pistels that get pollinated tend to curl up and change color :2cents:

Okay, so that's alarming. You mean I might have a hermie? I would lose my mind after all this work. What do I need to look for? How can I tell?

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have a look for male bags by all means but, these pistols have been brushed against or as you said a leaf could do this, if it repeatedly hit the pistols it is possible, this is not uncommon, it is very easy to reach across and have a sleeve stroke them and send them off. They will be white again in no time - relax :joint:

By the way, I'm not sure why the pix above didn't turn out right. I'm going to try to post them again below so you don't have to click the link.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Have a look for male bags by all means but, these pistols have been brushed against or as you said a leaf could do this, if it repeatedly hit the pistols it is possible, this is not uncommon, it is very easy to reach across and have a sleeve stroke them and send them off. They will be white again in no time - relax :joint:

Well that makes sense too. I have my fan on high and the leaves are moving around a good amount. Maybe it's from that...I hope!

Thanks man!

:joint:

Hi CC, I agree with you, over cautious, nothing to worry about with your pistols, they will grow new ones in a day or so, however you are getting slight leaf curl that shows you are over feeding a tiny amount and you need to lower a touch, your plants look lovely apart from that.
Edit :- Looking at the last photo.... that looks like a slight Mag deficit to me.

So I've only got a small few of the leaves that are curling a looking burned like that. Does that still mean that I'm overfeeding and have a mag deficit or would the curling and burning be more widespead? What could cause the mag issue?

And thanks Lady! I appreciate your help!

Oh and one other thing since you are all so helpful. I posted another question out there about plant spacing in this thread here http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=134089. Any help on that topic would be great too!

Thanks all!

Mr.Hades

Just a small case of pistil burn. It can be caused by a number of things, like he said above, excessive touching, over-watering, or over-feeding are common causes.

Just a small case of pistil burn. It can be caused by a number of things, like he said above, excessive touching, over-watering, or over-feeding are common causes.

So I think you guys are right about the pistil burn. Each of the buds that have the brown pistils happens to have a leaf over or to the side of it. I notice that the when the fan blows past, it causes the leaves to touch the buds. Should I cut these leaves back so they aren't touching anymore?

I also noticed that I have a fungus gnat problem. Killed 3 of em flyin around my room today and a few yesterday. Will these cause a lot of damage if not kept in check? How can I get rid of them?

HeD333

Yes. This will allow better light to the budsite, and prevent the pistil burn. Keep in mind that you're trying to grow buds here, not leaves. Grab a clean pair of scissors and prune that baby up :)

^ not a good idea to physically damage your plant. your leaves definatly look like theres too much N in your soil/additive giving you the "rams horn". The marks in the leaves i couldnt tell you for sure but if you do have gnats you need to get them under control first and foremost.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please don't snip any leaves off, that's just bad cannabis lore. I'm not a fan of fans either, and haven't had one in my room for over 25 years. In my opinion, fans just create a more desertlike environment and force the plants to transpire more water needlessly. It's kind of like making the ladies do pushups. I'd rather grow my plants like Kobe beef than put them through training camp!

Latest posts

Latest posts