What's new

Plant spacing - packed in tight SOG style or give them room to grow? HELP!!!

Okay, so this is my first grow. I'm growing Grand Daddy Purps using Canna Coco in 3 gallon pots (at least I think they are. They're 10 inches wide at the top), all Canna nutes, and am 22 days into flower. My flowering room is about 7x10ft. I'm using 2 600W HPS lights orientated across the 7 foot span so they are overlapping in coverage.

I was under the impression that a 600W would cover approximately 5 square feet. I've had the plants packed in tight 2 deep and 5 wide so they were taking up 7 feet across and about 3 feet deep and I had the lights 18 inches from the canopy. They were situated like this:

OOOOO
OOOOO

The leaves are touching and blocking a lot of the light from reaching the lower buds and I have a ton of lower bud sites. My plants are extremely bushy being they are pure indicas so I figured that since I have effectively 5 square feet of light coverage per light, I'd give them a little more room like this:

.O O O
O O O O
.O O O

I just figured more airflow and less light blockage. My only concern is that eventhough I'm getting less light blockage, I'm also getting less lumens to the plants that are now farther away from my light source.

My question to all you pros out there is if you had the room to give your plants space, would you use it or do they yield more in a "sea of green" configuration?

Should I do this?

picture.php

Or should I do this?

picture.php

if yield is what its all about, #1 but double the plant count and prune them to a single kola.

Okay so am I to infer that I might be sacrificing quality for yield then if I go with #1?

I wouldn't want to do that but since we're on the topic, is SOG the highest yielding method of growing? I keep hearing about this Krusty bucket system and how it's good for medical grower due to plant count but overall, what is the highest yielding method of growing?

Wait...What?

Veteran
its not a sacrifice in quality

its an increase in plant count without sacrificing earliness

scrog sacrifices earliness for lowering the plant count without lowering yield [longer veg]

highest yielding over what period of time using how many plants and how many kilowatt-hours?

krusty method uses lots and lots and lots of kilowatt hours and generates a lot of non-bud plant matter.

the highest yielding method is the one you get the most in your conditions with your plants and your green thumb.

Latest posts

Latest posts