What's new

Noob using dyna gro and coco having problems

Whats the %ca in dyna-gro?
Any mg?
How big/tall is yr space?
How many watts?

I dont think you should regulate ppms in the container. If i want them drinking a certain nutrient solution @ 1ec for instance, i will top feed until the medium is saturated with what i want in there, replacing the rest out the bottom with each feeding.

Checking ppm runoff and ph is good for problem solving, but you should be paying more consistent attention to what is going IN.

IMHO.
Other than that it looks like yr gonna be all set?

Since you seem to have good control over heat and humidity you ought to take advantage of having good VPD. environment is HUGE, cannabis is tough and can tolerate a lot of shitty conditions and thats great but when given nearly ideal environment, that is when they can fulfill their total genetic potential

http://www.just4growers.com/stream/...-deficit-the-hidden-force-on-your-plants.aspx

here is the lable for the nutrient im using. wrom what I understand, this nutrient is complete containing all 16 essential elements and needs no aditives. Many people even use this one nute from seed to harvest which would be the king of k.i.s.s.

you say not to regulate ppm in the container i assume in the growing medium. by waterung to 15-20% is basically a means of regulating that is essentially what im doing, but im not exactly sure what you mean about that.

the space is 144qft 3ft x 8ft x 6ft tall.

the lights are variable from 150watt total to 1200watt total

ill have to look into vpd a bit and read the link you shared. this is the first ive heard of it.

Attachments

• 936-MAY14.jpg
    936-MAY14.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 10

chronosync

Well-stoned member
***i do feed every watering and only use straight ro/di when the ppms are much higher then ppm going in just to give then plants anotyer shot at the nute which are already present while bringing the ppm back where i want it. normal watering schedule is everyday.****

What i mean by regulating ppm in the container, it sounds like you are splitting the difference with plain water to supply an estimated ppm in the container. So as to use all the nutrients?

If thats the case dont.
DTW works by always supplying the plant with an ideal nutrient solution at all times. In and out, drained to waste. Otherwise it seems that to factor in percentage of nutrients used and adjusting input ppm to accomodate outgoing readings would be innacurate confusing and inconsistent. Yr just guessing at this point. There is a reason noone talks about this in coco. Its not done.

Feed it correct and frequently.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
So ya, you dont need extra ca, or mg yet, yr nutes have it.

Straight coco is a great medium on its own unless its shit quality. Same can be said for almost anything.

You got lots of space and lots of light, now lets see lotsa bud soon!

Keep us posted, with pics and progress, and questions of course.

hey chrono. thanks for all the advice. i think im on the right track now. i wont leave ya hanging. i will update this thread with photos soon

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Ive been looking into that. Lots say microbes cant survive in hydo salt fertilizer environment. Great White is some expensive stuff. Myco products cant hurt but probably cant thrive in high P. ?not sure?

I personally would add gh rapidstart for roots and something like bio weed kelp for over-all immune and health.

Coco does really well fostering great root development and health on its own.

EastCoast710

yes it is pure coco. i used to use perlite mix with coco aprox 50/50, but since i switched to fabric pots and various research tells me that once roots are established, coco is very hard to overwater. after having a close inspection of the roots, they are all white even though there was very little growth in the pastweek or so.

i do feed every watering and only use straight ro/di when the ppms are much higher then ppm going in just to give then plants anotyer shot at the nute which are already present while bringing the ppm back where i want it. normal watering schedule is everyday.

also about coco needing cal mag. i am aware of the extra need for it in coco, but based on the info that homebrewer posted is that there is enough C in the dyna gro and that adding cal mag would just increase ppms. There are many others that say it is needed, so i just add 1ml/gal as a precaution and never have a C deficiency with Dyna gro. only the first week on one of my strains. this is i believe is because i do not buffer or precharge the coco prior to transplanting clones. after a few good waterings, its goes away and i never see a problem again.

if your watering to 15-25% runoff likeu said.. then u shouldn't need to check your run off ppm.. lol. s hould just ph it.. and feed.lol.. no salt build up when actually doing 15-25% runoff..

but good luck man got any issues ask.

Ive been looking into that. Lots say microbes cant survive in hydo salt fertilizer environment. Great White is some expensive stuff. Myco products cant hurt but probably cant thrive in high P. ?not sure?

I personally would add gh rapidstart for roots and something like bio weed kelp for over-all immune and health.

Coco does really well fostering great root development and health on its own.

i read the same, but i know there are several people that use maycos in dwc with full synthetic nutes and it works wonders. I think that would be the most improbable environment for bennies to successfully live in. I also read that P is the most toxic to them as well. so maybe only use them during veg and the first month or so of flower and stop when starting bloom ferts. By then, the roots would be very well established anyways and the bennies would have already completed thier task. just a theory here. i think i may give it a shot.

if your watering to 15-25% runoff likeu said.. then u shouldn't need to check your run off ppm.. lol. s hould just ph it.. and feed.lol.. no salt build up when actually doing 15-25% runoff..

but good luck man got any issues ask.

Checking runoff is a very easy thing to do for most. I see a lot of ppl shaming others for doing it, but i see no harm in it. I believe that for a noob it can be very helpful in fine tuning a feeding schedule and greatly help develope an understanding of whats going on in the root zone and the basic chemistry behind it. I dont do it because i have to do it, but more so just to confirm that my feeding schedule is actually working and that im not over or under doing it.

i think that ppms at the root zone is "ultimately" all that really counts. some ppl dont water enough to have enough runoff when they think they are and also some people dont water everyday which would allow ppm to build up due to evaporation and also ph can change or maybe ppms are dropping to fast due to not strong enough mix or viseversa. it would be very easy to check run off to confirm all this. once im a pro, im sure checking runoff will be a thing of the past for me though, but for now i think it is a very helpful tool in a growers tool box.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
About the myco. Sounds like you have a good idea about how to try them in hydro, let me know if you do.

One thing is that alot of those myco products have all different genus and species mixed in so who knows who is winning the game and what other is biting dust.

Someone who seems they would know cautioned about using too much trichoderma as it is a killer. Meaning it tends to dominate substrates and not let anything else live.

You know, roots are under-valued alot it seems on forums and such. Im sure if people could see them it would be different.

About the myco. Sounds like you have a good idea about how to try them in hydro, let me know if you do.

One thing is that alot of those myco products have all different genus and species mixed in so who knows who is winning the game and what other is biting dust.

Someone who seems they would know cautioned about using too much trichoderma as it is a killer. Meaning it tends to dominate substrates and not let anything else live.

You know, roots are under-valued alot it seems on forums and such. Im sure if people could see them it would be different.

i have tried maycos in my rez with synthetics. keep in mind, i run coco and my rez is just for storage. my problem is that the bacteria tend to raise the ph slowly but steadily. my stance right now on that subject is to use maycos in organics only and run sterile with synthetics. I find that when i run a sterile rez, i only have to adjust ph once initially and then it stays right where i put it for as long as i keep it sterile. the fact that the ph rises indicates that the chemical make up of the nutrient is changing where certain elements are being consumed and or converted to something else which i dont want.

I know it is possible to grow bacterial/fungal cultures in the root zone while running synthetics, but dont see much of an advantage of doing so seeing how the nutes are already in plant usable form and they dont need to be converted first like organics do. what im researching now is what the best method of sterilization would be both in the rez and at the root zone.

just some updated pictures. they seem to be making a recovery slowly but surely.

Attachments

• 1454551041948.jpg
    1454551041948.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1454551069369.jpg
    1454551069369.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 8
just another update. the problem in the original post has continued to exist. though the plants have bee better at times, they generally stayed looking like shit. when i was near ready to cut them and start over, i decided to let my wife try her hand at it. So i donated one plant to let her play with. I was not very optimistic as she has no experience whatsoever and knows very little especially when i saw her with a box of miricle gro general purpose nutrients in her hand i just started shaking my head oh well they aint going to look any worse what could possibly happen? i was going to cut them down anyways. Well low and behold after watering with the miricle gro that plant perked right up the next day and was dark green in 3 days while my other foliage pro fed plants improved very little. this brings me to think that the plants are simply starving. I have read everything i can about feeding schedules and found that dyna gro runs really hot and should never go over 800ppm, but i have excceded that and still they starve. Does anyone know what concentrations i should be using in coco with foliage pro?

bigdad41296

Imo I tried dyna grow in coco and couldn't grow worth a Damm tried everything, switched to canna coco a &b and haven't had a problem since.

Drop the protekt feed base + calmag @ 1.0ec pH 6 for a week.

Whats your water

im using RO DI 0tds

i have since given them all a feeding of MG and they are all greening up well. The other one is very green and has large healthy leaves and was perviously the smallest worst one of the bunch and is now the biggest and healthiest of all of them. I guess im not impressed with all the hype that dyna gro has gotten. I dont think ill be buying it again.