What's new

Overwatering or Nitrogen toxicity?

Diego_

Hello there colleagues.

This is my first time growing, have two plants on flowering and two little clones on 18/6.

Something happened to one of my plants (suddenly), it has curvy/claw leaves

After a bit of research, I have narrowed down the possible cause to OVER-WATERING and/or NITROGEN TOXICITY.

Info:
- All organic
- Watered with banana tea and guano from seabirds (just like previous watering, maybe a bit more of banana peels into the tea)
- It happened all at once, at the whole plant and all the leaves

Would you please give me some input?

Attachments

• curv_01.jpg
    curv_01.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 60
  • curv_02.jpg
    curv_02.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 39

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much water how often?

Doesn't look like too much N, early over watering more likely.

Curiosity, what's banana tea?

Diego_

How much water how often?

Doesn't look like too much N, early over watering more likely.

Curiosity, what's banana tea?

Thanks, hope you are right.

It is like a soup made of banana peels. It is common among roses growers because is supposed to contribute potassium (K)

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I've been told that I should wash hands after handling bananas. The residual pesticide load on banana peels can be significant. I'd only do this tea with organically grown bananas.

Once plants are rooted, you can't do much about excess nitrogen in your soil. But it sure is easy to correct over-watering. The leaves aren't that dark a green so I doubt N toxicity. Stopping watering will put a stop to the extra guano for a while though, so you're covered.

Two flowering plants under 18/6 ? Are they auto-flowering strains?

Z

Ziggaro

Yeah looks like water issue not nutrient issue.
N tox typically presents curled leaf tip and usually burnt tips as well. When the whole leaf is curled that is probably not (just) n tox.
Also remember as a newbie.. overwatering can be from under-watering. If your root hairs die from drying out, and then you water, your plant might look overwatered. When the roots are damaged and then sit in a wet pot of soil, they can't efficiently absorb the moisture and become oxygen starved.
Just don't make the same mistake I did and take the whole wet-dry thing literally. Cannabis isn't a succulent, it's roots need moisture so don't let the pot actually get "dry."

Diego_

I've been told that I should wash hands after handling bananas. The residual pesticide load on banana peels can be significant. I'd only do this tea with organically grown bananas.

Once plants are rooted, you can't do much about excess nitrogen in your soil. But it sure is easy to correct over-watering. The leaves aren't that dark a green so I doubt N toxicity. Stopping watering will put a stop to the extra guano for a while though, so you're covered.

Two flowering plants under 18/6 ? Are they auto-flowering strains?

Many thanks. Will do as you said.

Actually, I only ate organic bananas so hope the pesticides are not an issue.

Only the little clones are at 18/6, the big ones are at daylight which in my case is 13-11, I'm at summer close to the equator

Diego_

Yeah looks like water issue not nutrient issue.
N tox typically presents curled leaf tip and usually burnt tips as well. When the whole leaf is curled that is probably not (just) n tox.
Also remember as a newbie.. overwatering can be from under-watering. If your root hairs die from drying out, and then you water, your plant might look overwatered. When the roots are damaged and then sit in a wet pot of soil, they can't efficiently absorb the moisture and become oxygen starved.
Just don't make the same mistake I did and take the whole wet-dry thing literally. Cannabis isn't a succulent, it's roots need moisture so don't let the pot actually get "dry."

Thanks. I may have watered it too soon, will see.

The point is that this happened suddenly overnight and at the wholr plantas. Does it point to overeatering too?

GadgetGuy

if it was nitrogen toxicity the leaves would be a much much darker green, I think they are just a smidge overwatered.

Diego_

Well, it seems you all agree it is overwatering. It is certainly a relieve.

I will update the post in a couple days. Weather is extremely humid here, so it takes a while to dry out and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks a lot guys!

lipsmcgee

Another vote for over watering. A few days should have them looking much happier. What kind of temps are having in your grow?

Scrappy-doo

I'm gonna play devils advocate and say it looks like too much N to my eye. Those bottom leaves look pretty dark to me and have the claw. Unless they only look dark because of the lighting. Could be the case. It it's just a lil too much water she'll bounce back quickly. If not well then at least ya know next time you feed.

Diego_

BTW

this plant come from cheap brick weed seeds. Anyhow would like to know wheter you guys think is more indica or sativa.

Diego_

Thanks for your input. Temps are

23-29
85% humidity

I'm gonna play devils advocate and say it looks like too much N to my eye. Those bottom leaves look pretty dark to me and have the claw. Unless they only look dark because of the lighting. Could be the case. It it's just a lil too much water she'll bounce back quickly. If not well then at least ya know next time you feed.

I think the "dark" green is just because the backlighting. The actual color is more like the second pic.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
85% humidity?

Do you have a fan circulating the air in there? To dry out that soil you might need to bump up the transpiration a bit.

Diego_

85% humidity?

Do you have a fan circulating the air in there? To dry out that soil you might need to bump up the transpiration a bit.

Nop, is just my living room and windows are always open. It is the local weather man. This plant should be comfortable at these conditions as it MIGHT be a landrace or have some genes of one of them.

What I have learned at this point is that a lot of perlite is very welcome at the soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts