What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rain storms in September affect on flowering plants

garyw

Is there anything I need to do to protect my outdoor blooming girl? Or is a rain shower this time of year a good thing? I assume on the southern coast I will get hard rains at night and drys out during daytime hours. I have been spraying tops of leaves best I can but cannot get a good coverge on bottoms. I have been spraying with a milk and water mix once a week and before a forecasted shower. What do you do way to early to harvest?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
My friend at the grow store says he cannot keep the mold and mildew poisons in stock. He keeps telling them just throw the plants away once they are trash. But $$$ rules many gardens. Sure as fuck glad I grow and know for a fact I am not poisoning my friends and family.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Is there anything I need to do to protect my outdoor blooming girl? Or is a rain shower this time of year a good thing? I assume on the southern coast I will get hard rains at night and drys out during daytime hours. I have been spraying tops of leaves best I can but cannot get a good coverge on bottoms. I have been spraying with a milk and water mix once a week and before a forecasted shower. What do you do way to early to harvest?

You need to spray AFTER a rain. Not before. Rain washes it all off.
Use a light mist of Potassium Bicarbonate and water. 1 tsp per gallon.

T

Teddybrae

This post underscores the need to make sure you grow mould resistant varieties!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I guess one positive to the insane amount of rain we all have been getting is that it will be a great run to see what strains are truly mold resistant for future breeding. Just wait until this hurricane hits.

garyw

My outdoor plant is starting to form colas and I have been adding milk and water solution temps have been dropping along with rain at night occasionally. Not alot of rain but humidity is in mid 90% at night and sun comes out in the mornings and warms up my outside humidity is in mid 70s drying leaves and buds out. days without rain have heavy dew but also drys out during days. I am on the coast so not much chance of frost just damp. I have about til mid october when she should be finishing. My lowest temp this year so far was 43 degrees. days have been mid to high 60s do I have anything to worry about? This is my first grow in many years. I am west of roseburg at the beach.

PDX Dopesmoker

My outdoor plant is starting to form colas and I have been adding milk and water solution temps have been dropping along with rain at night occasionally. Not alot of rain but humidity is in mid 90% at night and sun comes out in the mornings and warms up my outside humidity is in mid 70s drying leaves and buds out. days without rain have heavy dew but also drys out during days. I am on the coast so not much chance of frost just damp. I have about til mid october when she should be finishing. My lowest temp this year so far was 43 degrees. days have been mid to high 60s do I have anything to worry about? This is my first grow in many years. I am west of roseburg at the beach.

Botrytis is what to watch out for in the fall in Oregon. The key to avoiding it seems to be keeping the moths that lay eggs on the plants off so that you don't end up with caterpillars making bite wounds on the insides of your buds and then shitting on the wounds. BT might be a more helpful spray than milk if you have those green caterpillar on your plants. I don't have any experience growing at the coast, but I've been there enough to know its a way different environment than Portland.
If you're not getting the feedback you need here then any NoCal outdoor coastal growers might have something worth saying. Some people say that nobody in California knows how to grow weed though, so watch out of dumb advice on the Cali board.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I'm amazed to say not a single spot of mold on the plants so far. Had an insane amount of rain for a few days and got some wind, but everything held out. Hoping all the growers in VA and the Carolinas stayed safe.

B

bench warmer

PVC & poly ftw...

picture.php

15377127771537712757.gif

troutman

Seed Whore
This is one of the problems caused by generations of indoor breeding. Plants not exposed to bad weather lose
their abilities to fight what you're going thru with your outdoor plants. If people started breeding outdoors again
they would start to find resistant plants over time. It's all part of the process called local adaptation.

Local Adaptation

Rose56

I am in the same local as you. I have had to harvest some of my girls early because they developed rot. It is not just the rain it is the cold humidity and the wind helps spread the spores.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
This is one of the problems caused by generations of indoor breeding. Plants not exposed to bad weather lose
their abilities to fight what you're going thru with your outdoor plants. If people started breeding outdoors again
they would start to find resistant plants over time. It's all part of the process called local adaptation.

Local Adaptation

Well, Now that Mass is legal to grow outdoors on your property, Im sure there will be alot of people doing that. :tiphat:

PDX Dopesmoker

Local Adaptation

I know this one guy who considers himself a breeder, his indoor grow would put the most disease and pest resistant cannabis plant though its paces as well as any pests outside could. Its seems as if he may have bred one or more species of Azamax resistant mites in his flower chamber.
If the stories about Joe Pietri's greenhouse being The Black Hole of Calcutta for cannabis plants then I guess his seeds might be pretty disease resistant too.