What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blueberry Yellow leaves in early veg phase

thunderpob

Hi all

I've got a case of yellow leaves (alright very light green) on one of my Blueberry younglings

i have 6 plants in all and only one is yellow like this.

for comparison the rest look about the same as this one in colour...

i am growing in "Bio Bizz All Mix" and supplementing it with half strength of "Bio Bizz Grow" and i am watering with room temperature rain water at about 6.3ph

i ahve got them under 1 x 400w Metal Halide about a foot away from the plant tops and a 125w eco blue spectrum fluro and temps range between 15c lights off to 28c lights on.

i have not had a plant go like this so early on before, sure i have had leaves turn well into the flower phase but never this early.

Considering the simplicity of my set up what is it likely to be?

cheers all.

thunderpob

Might be, not really thought about that, and never had any issues before, the 5 other plants don't seem to suffer ay ill effects.

tree&leaf

I wouldn't even like to guess what that is, but a few observations:

Raise your light. You do not need a powerful light that close in vegetative growth, ease it back to 3 or even 4 feet away. A plants light requirements in veg is about a fifth of that in flowering and plants that young require even less light.

Your plant pots are too big. I'd have started out with pots a quarter the size of those and 'potted' the plant up every 3-4 weeks. There are a number of advantages to doing it that way 1) you develop a larger healthier more efficient rootball; 2) you give the plant a new set of nutrients to feed on just as the N is running out in the original small pot, saving you having to feed liquid nutrient which ultimately saves money - soil is cheaper than liquid nutrient. 3) you don't use so much water in a small pot as a large one not only saving water and time but also meaning you water it more frequently allowing you to apply whatever feeds you might need to feed it.

Also, I never had great results with Allmix, it's very heavily fertilised and unless you use dolomite lime with it can produce lockouts, particularly Mg as well as burning younger plants. You certainly shouldn't be feeding it any Biobizz grow that early in veg in that mix, it's far too much.

Blueberry can be a tricky plant to grow as it's not very nutrient efficient or have much vigour so you really need to get your setup and system just right for it.

Make sure you water those containers correctly and don't just water around the stem of the plant because that will cause you all sorts of problems.

Loblolly1

Those plants are way too small to be in soil with fertilizer AND be receiving a liquid fertilizer at the same time. I'd flush the soil and pull back on the fertilization until they start to show they need it. I've experienced the same thing (the 3-fanblade leaves are a pretty good sign that soil is too hot for the seedling) with seedlings in FFOF before.

thunderpob

thanks all
the general consensus is STOP FEEDING so consider the feeding stopped and flushing started, am also raising the thermostat on my radiator to stop it dropping below 15c at night. am also going to raise the light a touch.

mrbiggs - thanks for - most useful, glad to have it book marked, and nice picture of the mp4-23

tree&leaf - never had a problem with all mix previously and grew this strain last time in this soil with good results (see the link in my sig) i am still too inexperienced to change from what i am used to but maybe next time i will do a comparison test with a different organic soil. any suggestions??

Loblolly1 - what does FFOF mean??

thanks for all the help, if anyone is interested i am going to up date this thread with pix regularly so i can chart the progress over time.

cheers all!

Last edited:
I believe it is Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil? Im using it on my Cannalope Haze seedlings and am having a similar problem to yours on one of my seedlings, so I am following this thread as well.

tree&leaf

thunderpob said:
so consider the feeding stopped and flushing started
Why flush? There's NO reason to flush those plants, beleive me, you'll cause more problems than you'll solve by flushing them - leave them alone. Stop feeding yes, but don't flush them. Your problems will come from those pots being too big without making it worse with flushing.
thunderpob said:
tree&leaf - never had a problem with all mix previously and grew this strain last time in this soil with good results
If you're getting good results from Allmix, don't change it. I just think it's expensive for what it is and not that great either but it does depend on the variety being grown and water quality. You can get equally good soils at half the price from your nearest garden or DIY centre wihch in my opinion makes Allmix not worth bothering with, but if you're happy with it, don't change.

thunderpob

hey tree&leaf - i am not sure i understand why the size pots are a problem - not disagreeing at all, just not sure why the pots would create an issue.

**edit**
ok did some searching and think i understand why a big pot this soon can create problems

I am going to re-pot them into a smaller pot this weekend...
any suggestions on what size is appropriate?

smokesalot420 - welcome aboard - what are you growing any pictures to compare?

Last edited:
At the moment I have a perpetual cabinet and a couple of grow tents I have going, I have 2 DWC Cheese clones that are flushing atm, a blue cheese clone I have flowering in organic soil... I also have a DWC sweet tooth clone that will be flowering soon, 3 cannalope Haze seedlings (showing 3 different phenos, or should I say one is ind/dom, one is sativ/dom, and one is 50/50) all growing in organic soil (and one with the similar problem to yours, all are in 1 gallon pots, and I also have a black domina and strawberry cough clones that are being hardened off to start my SOG that are also organic/soil.

I think tree was saying that you should repot in smaller increments, allowing the rootball to fully "grow into" the pot, not just reaching for the edges and not fully filling in rootball in the middle. The clones I recieved were in 3"pots and I repotted to 5" pots, let them grow into that, then repotted into the 1 gallon pots a couple weeks after that. I could have went straight from the 3" pots to the 1 gallon, but the roots wouldn't have grown more evenly I guess I should say.... Sorry if Im not explaining it well, as Im only going off what I have read. Someone with more experience could probably explain it better than a noob like me! Hope you figure out what's going wrong with your plants....

thunderpob

hi smokesalot420 - always wanted to try DWC but i am all about organics and was told that you couldn't go organic with a DWC set up, may be i have been misinformed (not for the first time) i also have to be a bit careful with noise as where i grow is a bit too close to a neighbour and whilst i get on with them well i don't see the point in taking unnecessary risks.

i think i get the issue with the pots now, too much soil not enough evenly distributed water is the issue from what i can gather

one thing i have always wondered is how you tell when the plant has grown into the pot...?

thunderpob

so after 6 days of plain water there doesn't seem to have been a noticeable change to the colour of the leaves.

also compared to the other plants she seems to be a lot more leggy with the node spacing being noticeable further apart even though she is in the prime lighting position.

my current thinking is to wait another week before i change anything again.
all the other plants are doing well, the environment is stable enough with the temps never exceeding 30c and never below 15c lights off.

humidity is a bit low at around 20%-30%

should i have expected to see some change in appearance of the leaves by now?
picture are taken with the 125w eco blue light on but the 400w MH off.
6 days ago

today

also today for colour comparison

there is still a noticeable difference in colour

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
alright bro
your bio bizz allmix has anuff goodness in it to feed your plants for 3/4 weeks (i dont use the bio grow untill week3/4 of veg as it got loads of N in it)....
dont worry if you plant are in big pots..thay will soon burts into life and start to fill out when the tap roots hit the bottom of ya pot (this might take abit longer with them being in big pots)..
just be catreful on how much you water, you plants are still young so wont need waterd as much/as often ...

agree with tree&leaf on the light, lift it up a foot or two thay dont want to be that close to the light at such a young age.

oh and make sure you water has a good ph..
am sure the allmix has a PH of 6.7 (have a look on the bag it should say) you want to try and keep your water/nutes/feeds in this bracket to get the best out of allmix :yes:.

happy growing mate

keep it green
Highlander :yes:

M

mexilandrace

That last picture in the blue tub is pretty fucked up, that plant needs help.

M

mexilandrace

tree&leaf said:
Why flush? There's NO reason to flush those plants, beleive me, you'll cause more problems than you'll solve by flushing them - leave them alone. Stop feeding yes, but don't flush them.

Stop saying this crap until you know what the hell you are saying, you read it somewhere and you need to parrot it over and over.

It's not real and it's bullshit, I grow organic and have for years, I am telling you it is wrong. Stop spouting that shit.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you dont need to flush organic. i use organic. i dont flush anything. if i gave em too much i just let it dry all the way out before y next watering. easy peezy

M

mexilandrace

I am not saying you need to flush organics just that if you do flush you aren't gonna hurt anything really. The concept that flushing in organics causes some kind of harm is ridiculous if you think about it and know how organics work.

thunderpob

Hi all, Happy Holidays.

I think the plain water is now showing signs its working, it is now looking more like the other plants in colour (but still yellower)

8 Days Ago.

Today.

(sorry about the photos. i was hungover and the light was very bright but the lighting conditions are the same)

this one is for colour comparison

theHIGHlander - thanks for the Allmix advice, i checked my ran water and it is about 6.4 so i think i should be ok especially as they are that bit older now.

mexilandrace - i think tea and leaf was trying to get me to slow down a bit and not panic i dont think he was suggesting that i flush them
What do you think i can do about the one in the blue pot? i thought it could be showing signs of being over fertilised and may be heat stress from the lights being too close, could be wrong though but here is how it looks now. :)

stihgnobevoli - I always took flushing to mean switching to plain water for a while (in my case probably until i switch them into 12/12) still learning the lingo, luckily i didn't do any thing too drastic! and i am now not watering until the pots go light - i have read that it will help with the roots as they start searching for water rather than being lazy and letting it come to them.

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
nice to see she fight back mate :yes: ...

get some more soil in the blue pot. the lower part off the plant seens to be sitting inside the pot.. pull her out the pot and dump more soil in there.. try and get the plant to sit level with the lip of the pot..this will help air circulation around the base of the plant.....

p.s she does look alot better than what she was like...
just keep in mind, to much love can be just as bad as to little love ,keep it simple and youll be a sweet as a nutt :yes:

keep it green
highlander

Latest posts

Latest posts