What's new

The Truth on Flouro vs HID

HeftCinch

The PURple nlites definately sound very lucrative. I'm interested in hearing more about them. There were two versions, an internal ballast, and external. Looking at the spectrum they emit vs the CMH for instance, it right where the plants need it to be, the sharp blues and reds. The CMH is only slightly in the blue range, with a light blue, almost orange. If I had to choose between a CMH and HPS+MH combo, I would choose the latter.

Part of the reason is simply heat. I'm researching for a foaf into a NGB style, and heat is a large concern.

I've just begun searching, and I haven't found much information about them. I don't have any experience with the adv. lighting place either. My impressions based purely on their website design, I don't know if I would trust their results. They didn't really specify what problems they had with their sample nlite bulbs, nor is it an exactly professional design. This tends to turn me away. Why would the sell an item they themselves wouldn't use?

Simba- I've found 125w nlite bulbs, internal ballasts, for 22usd, external 200w for 22usd. The seperate ballast would outlast multiple bulbs, therefor bringing the cost per hour down even further.. Where did you get the 60 to 70 figure from? price for nlite from this uk url

phineas- could you tell me more about your experince with the light so far? What size area are you using it in? Do you notice a difference in growth? If not, is it comparable to another lighting system (cfl, hid). How long have you used it to grow, veg or flowering?

I'm still a noob when it comes to cfl lighting, and I'm looking for an alternative to HID lighting for a NGB type grow. I've used HIDs before, but nothing below 600w, so the more information I can gather, the better. CFL's looking like the way to go for a small stealthy cab. The nlite caught my eye for this reason.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Yea I would love to know your results and see a pic of it in action Phineas

and HeftCinch where can I get them for $22 ????? I hella want one I can waste the money if it's that cheap so please tell me

SuperHemp

HeftCinch said:
The PURple nlites definately sound very lucrative. I'm interested in hearing more about them. There were two versions, an internal ballast, and external. Looking at the spectrum they emit vs the CMH for instance, it right where the plants need it to be, the sharp blues and reds. The CMH is only slightly in the blue range, with a light blue, almost orange. If I had to choose between a CMH and HPS+MH combo, I would choose the latter.

Part of the reason is simply heat. I'm researching for a foaf into a NGB style, and heat is a large concern.

I've just begun searching, and I haven't found much information about them. I don't have any experience with the adv. lighting place either. My impressions based purely on their website design, I don't know if I would trust their results. They didn't really specify what problems they had with their sample nlite bulbs, nor is it an exactly professional design. This tends to turn me away. Why would the sell an item they themselves wouldn't use?

Simba- I've found 125w nlite bulbs, internal ballasts, for 22usd, external 200w for 22usd. The seperate ballast would outlast multiple bulbs, therefor bringing the cost per hour down even further.. Where did you get the 60 to 70 figure from? price for nlite from this uk url

phineas- could you tell me more about your experince with the light so far? What size area are you using it in? Do you notice a difference in growth? If not, is it comparable to another lighting system (cfl, hid). How long have you used it to grow, veg or flowering?

I'm still a noob when it comes to cfl lighting, and I'm looking for an alternative to HID lighting for a NGB type grow. I've used HIDs before, but nothing below 600w, so the more information I can gather, the better. CFL's looking like the way to go for a small stealthy cab. The nlite caught my eye for this reason.

I have two regular red (2700k) 85 watt nlite's, and the light they emit is rather strange. While my other bulbs looks like an even orange or a bright blue-white the nlite bulbs are pale yellow at the bottom and get more orange towards the tip of the bulb.

Look at this image at the advanced lighting site:

wnlitepurcfl.jpg

This is their purple bulb, but it shows exactly the same symptoms as my red nlites. Also, the light doesn't seem as intense as my other bulbs, it looks almost like it lights up itself rather than spreading the light out in the room. But that could be because there is a lot of blue light in there too so the bulb color stands out.

That be said, my plants grow just fine with it, but it's something to think about. I have not had problems with soot.

HeftCinch

Super- thank you for your reply. could you tell me alittle more about your grow? size, plants, how it's mounted, excetera,

Seeing the picture kinda makes since to me, it would take two seperate phosphors to make both spectrums, as do the fact that the lights don't seem as intense as a normal white light. This is all speculation though, kinda a thought experiment right now.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Great thread, lots of info.

Philips sure has a lot of vaporware lol Do they have anything available yet?

I have 2 - 4'x6x54w T5's & am really impressed with them. They really pump out some bushy growth in the early veg stages.
Been running a mix of Agromax 6500k grows & 2700k blooms. ie. G-B-G-G-B-G
Good bulbs @ $5 per...

If there is improvement coming for T5's? I'm interested! ;)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Found the PL-L 4-Pin TG-11 base Sockets!

Found the PL-L 4-Pin TG-11 base Sockets!

Hey all! :rasta:

Wanted to let everyone know that I found a source for the TG-11 4-Pin Base Sockets. For mounting these really efficient CFLs

The sockets are $1.97 apiece. You have to call in to order them since they're not listed on the website.

Item# SOCK-EG36070

If you're looking for ballasts that run more than 1 or 2 lamps, check out the Fulham ballasts in the CFL ballasts section. I just picked up a 220w that will run 4 lamps at 55w each. Less than $40 too! (almost bought 2 35$ ballasts to do the same job *gack*)

These lamps are bitchin and I can't wait until you can get them at Lowes and the other big hardware stores. :)

Last edited:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok so where is the link buddy? whats the name of the website? I'm pretty sure those are what Infectualize used in his Hi Pod grow he did and you can get the sockets for them over at1000Bulbs.com

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thundurkel said:
Ok so where is the link buddy? whats the name of the website? I'm pretty sure those are what Infectualize used in his Hi Pod grow he did and you can get the sockets for them over at1000Bulbs.com

There is no link. That's the problem. 1000bulbs.com does have the sockets but there's no way to order them through the website. (at least for now)

If you place a phone order, ask for that part number and you'll get the sockets you need.

Yes.... these are the same lamps Infectualize used. I'm deliriously happy and can't wait for them to show up. :)

*** Edit *** Just realized I forgot to put the website in the post ROTFLMAO! Thanks for catching that Thunderkle :) Yes, that's the part number for the sockets from 1000bulbs.com. If you can find the link to the sockets ON the website that would be fantastic 'cause I wasn't able to find them and the salesman says they're not listed. *** Edit ***

Last edited:

junkwerks

Thanks Thundurkel!! My buddy has been using tanning bed lamps for years during the last two weeks of his crop. I was going to try that myself, but now I have other options. Much to ponder now... Rock on!

B

banjobrain

Great information all! I will be building my first cab within the next couple of weeks and initially considered running a 250w HPS, but am now considering CFL.

For ease of a first grow, and ease of setting up a lighting system, what are your opinions?

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey all! :rasta:

Wanted to let everyone know that I found a source for the TG-11 4-Pin Base Sockets. For mounting these really efficient CFLs

The sockets are $1.97 apiece. You have to call in to order them since they're not listed on the website.

Item# SOCK-EG36070

If you're looking for ballasts that run more than 1 or 2 lamps, check out the Fulham ballasts in the CFL ballasts section. I just picked up a 220w that will run 4 lamps at 55w each. Less than $40 too! (almost bought 2 35$ ballasts to do the same job *gack*)

These lamps are bitchin and I can't wait until you can get them at Lowes and the other big hardware stores. :)

I must suggest that ALL CFL growers get these lights!!! I haven't yet but I see them in use every time I go to the grocery store and they are BRIGHT!!! and cheaper IMO cuz the cleat sockets I buy for mounting to the wall are $3.99 each! I also like the slim look of these which gives more space plus they kick out a shit load of lumens. It would also be easy to line the walls with these giving FULL penetration of light IMO :nanana: to all you HID dudes bitching about CFL penetration ...

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Also, thanks to all you guys and gals that appreciate this thread, it's here for those with a open mind and who don't want to follow the herd. With that said we need a "FLUORO FREAKS" group around here. CFL Club is one thing but fluoro's have a big range so I want to see all of us fluoro user's in it. T12's T8's T5's T4's CFL's ect what you all think???

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok so Ed Rosenthal finally put it in print!!! CFL"S PRUDCED MORE USUABLE LIGHT WATT FOR WATT AS HID!!!! I will copy down his answer from the new Skunk Mag but I was so happy with his response!

N707

The majority of that post should have been geard towareds which bulbs put off the most efficient ratio of photosynthetic available radiation output to energy consumption. And in this department HID's trump flouros.
Looking at charts geared towards spectral output and thier relation to efficieny is not very convincing.

Those charts are from a marketing campaign...........
Don't get me wrong, you can do some great stuf with flourescents.

Until commercial RD starts pooping out super cfl's at an affordable price no one will have them, hence the dilemma and uselessness of them atm.
By the time bugs are worked out and the commercial market is setup, then LED's will be a more attractive option.
The 100 watters may not be more efficent that some CLF's or HID's, but here is why they will trump all
-Mass priduced at an incredible rate, will eventually be dirt cheap
-They are virtually indestructable compared to other lighting options
-You can adjust the spectrum, a fixture that can be set to whatever kelvin desired. Not common place but possible with leds.
-Currently the 35-100 watt led's share the footprint of a postage stamp, & are approx. 5mm thick.
-Produce incredible brilliance and pure spectrum that no other bulb can, period without extreme engineering.

I am not trying to say that floro's suck, just want to point out that they may be a bit behind in the near future.
ThunderUrkle, that is a pretty serious post, I like the info and think it has very viable points. I would liek to see some of the prices of the nicer CFL's when they hit mainstream if they ever do.

Tanuvan

Ok so Ed Rosenthal finally put it in print!!! CFL"S PRUDCED MORE USUABLE LIGHT WATT FOR WATT AS HID!!!! I will copy down his answer from the new Skunk Mag but I was so happy with his response!

I can believe that. CFL's have a more complete spectrum than HPS. CFL's have far more blue in them. I think the closest thing to a full spectrum single bulb in HID lighting would be CMH.

HPS compensates by more intensity, but for small spaces, CFL can't be beat IMHO.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I'm going to make a new thread for this answer that Ed Rosenthal gave cuz I'd like to see the discussion that evolves from it...

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Fluoros can be places immensely closer to the plants, and produce more sources of light versus just one. Much better IMO.

toastfighter2

Personally, I can only praise CFL. I don't use them exclusively mind you, but I use the as them as supplemental/side lighting in my flowering area. Ever since I have started doing this, I have seen as much as a 40% raise in my yields(I am thinking only about 50% can be actually attributed to the lights themselves, and the rest better care and nutes). I am going to be upgrading to a 250w hps next weekend, but the cfl's are going to stay in there just to augment the spectrum a little. I mean, where else can you get this kind of light for less than $35 wired and installed(my time is included in that, all of the 15 minutes)?
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts