What's new

Has Anyone Tried The OG Vertical Reflector?

kupos

Hi everyone!

I'am in the process of changing out my reflectors from genric cheap sh*t to reflectors that give a performance boost in lighting. I came a cross the OG Vertical from Growlite while reading spurr's argument on the subject. And my question is: Has anyone tried these reflectors??

Attachments

• GrowLite OG.jpg
    GrowLite OG.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 17
  • GrowLite OG1.jpg
    GrowLite OG1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Krunchbubble picked up a Luxor hood from Sun Systems a while back, but he hasn't posted a report that I've seen. The Luxor is a very similar design, built under license from Growlite. I know that they are very big and very heavy, and should do a superior job of light control.

kupos

Ok, hope Krunchbubble posts a report on it. I've looked at the Luxor and I agree about the size of it, but according to Growlite their reflector gives 30% more light and seems to be like a normal air cooled hood in size than the Luxor. It looks like their "The Hood" reflector with the lamp socket mounted on topp instead. So is vertical mounted light reflectors the best way to get the most out of your light???

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Im going to be setting up a new grow with about 20+ of the OG 's from Growlite in action.... A few of my bros are running them and claiming 7-8 degrees cooler than the Ochoz

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So is vertical mounted light reflectors the best way to get the most out of your light???

Virtually all industrial luminaires (other than for specialty applications) use vertically mounted lamps. The manufacturers of these fixtures are companies like GE, who have vastly larger R&D budgets than grow light companies have gross sales. As you move away from a very small footprint with a huge lamp slammed down as close as possible to larger areas that require good edge-to-edge light control and uniformity of the lighting, the vertically-oriented lamp with a well-designed reflector shows it's superiority.

the gnome

Veteran
Q on the vert reflectors, seems like the plants would do better with direct lite as opposed to reflected light?
the luxor and og vert hoods give the plants nearly all reflected light.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think that the problem with direct light is the uniformity - you have areas that have very intense light with high variability around the perimeter. I think that the overall results are better if the entire grow area has the same light level.

kupos

Im going to be setting up a new grow with about 20+ of the OG 's from Growlite in action....

Epic Storm Shadow!!! Keep us posted!

On direct light i have to agree with rives. My first grow was with direct light and it was a huge diffrens in light intensity as you cloud see wich plants had the sweet spot. With reflectors you can get an even light distribution over the canopy.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ Thanks for posting about the testing it seems the OG hoods spanked everyone. Luxor was in a close 2nd but no one else cam close. A 600 in an OG hood beat a 1000w in a xxxxxxxL. I hope to be in the market for some new hoods eventually this might be something worth looking into.

Looking for some more opinions on this reflector, about to pull the trigger.. but how would this work in a small 2x3' scrog.. better than a horizontal config? Current air cooled horiz setup is okay but far from uniform light spread.. thoughts on how well these would work in a small setup, close to the tops of plants???

growshopfrank

Veteran
defiantly buying one for some testing curious about footprint the utube clips look impressive but im a little skeptical thinking that the measurements were made at the focal point of the reflector and not repeatable at any other distance from the lamp

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Im ordering 24 of these for the next run... Once I build the room... I'll take alot of pics and we'll see what these thing can do.. Im going to be running 3-600's per 4x8... so hopefully they are the real deal

eyes

Veteran
i know they have superior cooling the way they route the flow. so if the reflectability is that high, its a win-win.

smoooth

Just looked into them after reading this thread and they look very promising. After the years it is about time to upgrade my hoods and thinking these would make a great addition for my 1000w's
Seems like the coverage and penetration I would be getting compared to what I have been used to would be a big upgrade. plus if the air cooling works as well as some are saying, I don't see why I wouldn't use them.
Really want to hear and see some more reports on these.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Krunchbubble picked up a Luxor hood from Sun Systems a while back, but he hasn't posted a report that I've seen. The Luxor is a very similar design, built under license from Growlite. I know that they are very big and very heavy, and should do a superior job of light control.

Ok, hope Krunchbubble posts a report on it. I've looked at the Luxor and I agree about the size of it, but according to Growlite their reflector gives 30% more light and seems to be like a normal air cooled hood in size than the Luxor. It looks like their "The Hood" reflector with the lamp socket mounted on topp instead. So is vertical mounted light reflectors the best way to get the most out of your light???

The hood weight maybe 20 lbs and is just a big bitch.....

Next to some raptors and some other sunsystem hoods, you can SEE that there is a hell of alot more light being thrown at the plants, its noticeably brighter...

Is that good?

Even with a cann fan a few feet from it, aircooling, its pretty hot 6" from the glass and loves to burn plants near that 6" point.....

I ONLY put my smaller plants under that hood and gradually move them over to the other hoods near the end of the stretch....

IF...

You had a spot with 10'+ ceilings, YOU WOULD KILL, yield wise....

If you have 8' ceilings and plan to grow your plants around 4' tall, your going to have issues with burning from this hood...

smoooth

Thank you for the report krunch. Going to have to factor that in when I make a decision. Maybe I'll just build around that...:)

Latest posts

Latest posts