What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ICMAG slow to load

Midnight

Veteran
Thanks for all of your hard work skip...My IC will not load at all, click on any thread and it just spins for about two minutes and then the thread loads.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@www.icmag.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

S

SeaMaiden

At this very moment it's worse than it's ever been for me. My IC won't load at all, 500s all over the place. I can read new posts, but it's taking a half minute to load, irrespective of pix, etcetera.

G

Guest 18340

Just wanted to say that yesterday and today the 'mag has been loading MUCH faster. I still get the occasionally slow to loadness but nowheres near as slow as it's been.:yes::yes:

Blaz3

Hello guys..just thought Id offer some advise since I know a tiny bit about computers..first thing's first...the actual ISP..obviosly fiber optics [camocast,etc]..is much faster than say dialup..and a bit faster than "broadband"...second is the browser..i will NEVER recommend i.e..simply it is too slow,and I do not really trust anything from microsoft in terms of security...

the browser i HIGHLY suggest is opera..extremely fast,has a handy {speed dial] page..very easy to use,and private...

there are also some programs and advise i can offer...

antivirus programs: i highly suggest more than one, ACTIVE antimalware program running at all times in your computer..active means it is contantly scanning and monitoring your computer habits,so it prevents viruses in the first place...but you also have to run all your antiviruses atleast once per week...there are antivirus,antispyware..both kinda the same thing..shit that can damage your computer,steal files,log every word you type,etc..very bad for security..

all of these are free,and can be downloaded in filehippo.kom.....avira,AVAST,microsoft security essentials,comodo firewall,spybot search and destroy, SUPERANTI SPYWARE and MALWAREBYTES

memory,usage history cleaners:this is the very important part...every computer,no matter how old,is like a car..the information it processes is the oil and gasoline..gradually it will start to "build up" and leave gunk,thus making it slower and prone to break down..a computer remembers everything,what music you last played,what websites you visited,what documents you edited..everything,and it stays there,and builds up,so that the harddrive becomes cluttered...

the one and ONLY program,which is 1000% a MUST HAVE..is CCleaner..you can google it..ccleaner aka crap cleaner,erases EVERYONE of these files,so that your computer stays clean and fast as the day you bought it..you can also "securely" delete files..so that they cant be brough abck from the hardrive..it uses the same technology known as 7-pass..or 35-pass..that the militray uses..to destroy any evidense of erased files..because even though you erase them,they are still in your hardrive

lastly,i recommend a defrag once a week..

any questions..please read what i wrote..since computers are such intimate objects..and shouls be taken care of to ensure your own safety....

S

SeaMaiden

Opera, eh? Your suggestions are fantastic if you're running Windows. Switch to Linux and they fly out the window like little birdies.

In the meantime, I was forced to switch to Chromium due to the issues I was having with ICM loading up. For the first couple of months it's worked great, but the past two, three days it's really bogging, but only when I'm trying to get to certain pages. The main forum page loads up in an instant, for example. I assumed that it would be the huge threads that load slowly, but that's not exactly happening.

Handshaking all OVER the place!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
seems MUCh faster today.....I'm on firefox and pages are loading pretty quick...

and there I was FREAKing...running defrag's and tuneups for 2 days thinking ....
it way a slow down on my end.....

better today tho.....

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Blaz3, do you happen to know how the mouse driver interfaces with Opera? I've used Opera for several years, and the last two versions have driven me away - for whatever reason, it appears to use some default driver rather than the one that the machine normally uses. The cursor motion slows waaaayy down, the different button functions go away, etc. Toggle to a Firefox window, bang, it's back to normal. This has happened on both my XP and Windows 7 machines.

Skip

Veteran
Yup, blazingly fast today! It hasn't been like this here in a long, long time... :)

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup, blazingly fast today! It hasn't been like this here in a long, long time... :)

Yes, but I always hate it when shit cures itself - it tends to come back by itself, too........ Sure nice for the moment, though!

Blaz3

Hey Rives..cant say I know what your talking about lol..but I will still suggest Opera to all who use Windows..or even better,if you have some patience...Tor Browser....

Skip

Veteran
Yes, but I always hate it when shit cures itself - it tends to come back by itself, too........ Sure nice for the moment, though!
No it didn't cure itself...

Our hosting company says they didn't make any changes, so several changes I made to various caches and blocking a huge block of IP#s from China seems to have done the trick! :woohoo:

I only wish I'd done them earlier...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No it didn't cure itself...

Our hosting company says they didn't make any changes, so several changes I made to various caches and blocking a huge block of IP#s from China seems to have done the trick! :woohoo:

I only wish I'd done them earlier...

Glad to hear it, Skip. It sure has been nice the last few days - it had gotten to the point that it seemed like we were back on dial up! Thanks for your efforts.

Latest posts

Latest posts