Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > making canna butter / hash butter

Thread Title Search
Click to buy cannabis seeds at Ace Seeds
making canna butter / hash butter Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM #1
gaiusmarius
Super Moderator

gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
making canna butter / hash butter

well as there is a cool reggae gig coming up tomorrow i decided to make a batch of canna-butter/ hash-butter. the only thing i wasn't too sure on was the dosage factor. in the end i'm trying to get brownies that make the concert that bit more fun, without making them so strong that every one falls asleep.

so i started up with deciding the dose; took about 2 gs of 2nd grade 45 and 25, plus about 1 g of rubbish bubble (160+190) to add a bit of variation i added about 7 g of sd x cj trim to 150g of cooking butter.

ingredients:

preparing the hash in my coffee grinder

ground up bubble

preparation: to stop it burning the butter i use water, lots of it. start cooking it and add the butter, once butter is melted into the water you can add your product, trim and hash in this case.

adding the ground up bubble hash...

at this point i decided to add a bit more trim, lol.

simmering: to make sure that the flavor isn't too harsh i cook it for at least 3 hours at simmering temp, adding a glass of water to replace whats evaporating. i started at about 11.15 and ended the cooking at about 03.10 longer simmering makes less harsh taste in the butter and more active ingredients in the butter.

just started cooking after adding everything. coffee to keep me going

first simmering pic...

simmering...as time goes by, it gets darker...
time goes on still bubbling away...

straining: after it's cooked enough the liquid looks very dark, to get all the leaf and left over gunk out of it i used a clean kitchen cloth to strain it and press the last liquid out of it.

strainer left overs...

here the strained hot water and butter...

cooling: at this point i took the jug with the left over water and melted butter and put it to cool in a sink of cold water. after about an hour it was cool enough to go in the fridge.

finally, all done for tonight...

can't wait to test this stuff

gaiusmarius is offline Quote

10 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM #2
gaiusmarius
Super Moderator

gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
next day

to finish up the last pics...

finished: next day you have the jug with a thick layer of butter right on top of the left over water, remove the butter and strain the water to catch any small bits of butter. then chuck the water away and use your butter for what ever.

here you see the finished butter and the left over gunky water in the jug

and what it's all about, the finished cannabis butter product, ready for making brownies or what ever. this batch will make about 16 pieces. we will see how well or bad i judged the dose after tomorrow night

now i earned myself a

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 PM #3
DiiZZii3

Damn bro looks good. You gotta tell us how it turns out. Have fun at that Concert.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 PM #4
gaiusmarius
Super Moderator

well the concert was totally awesome, there was 5 bands and we were skanking away happily all the way through. mind you not all of us lol. the week end smokers in our company were a bit overwhelmed by just 1 brownie. i cut the tray into 16 pieces in the end. one guy who apparently has a very low tolerance grabbed one without hesitating even after being told of the contents. well a good hour or so later he is gone with 2 others, they needed to find a place to chill, lol. poor one guy ended up throwing up 3 times in a nearby park. some of the guys that needed the air too, took him to a place where he could sleep it off.

in the end i ate 2 and a half of them and i had a really good time, i was getting moments of like whoa, but never in an unpleasant way. TF and his wife ate 4 each over the whole night lol. just goes to show the difference in peoples tolerance. altogether a successful experiment. will be doing this again at the next opportune moment. well worth the 2.8g of bubble and the 7g of trim and i have a few pieces left lol.

peace out

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 PM #5
the gnome

the gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud ofthe gnome has much to be proud of
sounds like a great time!!
the gnome is offline Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 PM #6
Fraggle Rock

Fraggle Rock will become famous soon enough
That's awesome you had such good results with your butter....I started making my own butter with my trim and for the first time I started feeling pretty good effects....It seems like I need about 40g of mostly sugar trim for 2 sticks of butter to feel the effects. I guess the hash makes a big difference....wonder how much trim it would take to make 2.8g of hash?
Fraggle Rock is offline Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM #7
gaiusmarius
Super Moderator

that hash must represent about 60 g of dry trim i guess, as i made the bubble with frozen fresh trim and i made more then just what i used for the butter so it's hard to be sure.

Last edited by gaiusmarius; 08-25-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM #8
Ramius

Ramius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really niceRamius is just really nice
Great thread and pictures. I was thinking while reading, this is gonna be some potent butter lol

I bet it would have still been killer even without the trim added
Ramius is offline Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM #9
gaiusmarius
Super Moderator

it is amazing how little hash and trim cooked up in butter for brownies, can be too much for some people while other can easily enjoy 4x that amount. but i do think it's not a bad system to dose, i should have just told the light weights to eat only a half, while the rest of us will just eat 2 or 3 from the get go next time

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:05 AM #10
Nickog

Nickog will become famous soon enoughNickog will become famous soon enough
After many a batch, I decided that 2 oz of trim to 1 lb, (4-sticks) of butter was the perfect combo. After straining it, adding more water, heating and straining it again, cooling and dumping the water, each time I ended up with about 300 gms. I lose about 140gms of butter along the way. With the 300 gms left, one teaspoon, or 5 gms of butter is a dose that sends me and most people flying for about 8 hours. If I am making cookies, I do the math for each cookie-dose. If the recepie calls for a stick, or a half cup of butter, that is 114 gms. I make sure I get about 22 cookie of equal size. That way, i am sure how it will effect me.
Nickog is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.