What's new

High Male Ratio - Bad luck, strain or enviornment?

B

bcell

Good debate all opinions respected but I would say birth control pills to increase sex has to be "utter shitte" as well. :)

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
i veg under a hps and always have a decent m/f ratio..
i think light hours make more a difference..

K

kopite

Good debate all opinions respected but I would say birth control pills to increase sex has to be "utter shitte" as well. :)

Sorry I do not respect bad information, as that is what it is! you can change a plants expression but that is all you are doing its still the same sex genetically just like a cock in a frock. but carry on with your beliefs that you are changing the sex when you aren't. you have had a man with a degree in genetics tell you what is what in chimera and you ignore it!!

Chromosomal sex determination systems may be an evolutionary consequence of natural selection in favor of dioecy. Sex chromosomes do not appear suddenly in animals or plants. Rather, it is the pair of autosomes bearing the sex determination genes that have evolved specialized features, i.e., the degeneration of the Y chromosome, resulting in heteromorphy that became the hallmark of sex chromosomes. Two major sex chromosome systems have evolved. One is the active Y chromosome system, or the XY system (or ZW in a heterogametic female system), in which females have two of the same kind of sex chromosome (XX), while males have two distinct sex chromosomes (XY). The other is the X-to-autosome (A) balance system, in which the ratio of X:A chromosomes determines sex by an X chromosome counting system and the Y chromosome is dispensable.

Among the many dioecious plant species, only a few have evolved sex chromosomes (Westergaard, 1958 ; Renner and Ricklefs, 1995 ; Charlesworth and Guttman, 1999 ) (Table 1). As in mammals, some dioecious flowering species have an active-Y system of sex determination with heterogametic males (XY) and homogametic females (XX), such as white campion (Silene latifolia), papaya (Carica papaya), and asparagus (Asparagus officianalis). Several dioecious species have the X: A dosage compensation system for sex determination, for example, sorrel (Rumex) and hops (Humulus). An X-to-autosome ratio of 1.0 or higher results in a female and 0.5 or lower defines a male (Ono, 1935 ; Westergaard, 1958 ), which is similar to the situation in Drosophila and Caenorhabditis elegans (reviewed by Mittwoch, 1996 ). These two sex chromosome systems may reflect two different stages of sex chromosome evolution that will be discussed further in the following sections.

http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/94/2/141

One of the sexes, usually the male, is heterogametic,
producing two types of gametes and bearing male or
female factors. The other, the female, is homogametic
and gives rise to only one type of gamete bearing the
feminizing factors (Lou et al. 2002).
Heteromorphic sex chromosomes are rarely found
in angiosperms but have been reported in a number of
plant species including Rumex, Cannabis, Humulus,
and Silene (Parker 1990, Charles et al. 1997). In dioecious
Silene, males are the heterogametic sex (XY)
and females are homogametic (XX) (Westergaard
1948). As is the case in mammals, Silene has an active-
Y system of sex determination, with dominant
male factors and female suppressing factors mapping
to the Y chromosome. The X chromosome appears to
be essentia1 in both males and females because only
monoploid females can be obtained by in vitro techniques
(Ye et al. 1991). Application of hormones, including
GA, auxins, and cytokinins, does not result in
sex conversion.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/0r3u43603t514j56/fulltext.pdf?page=1

Environmental sex determination is known to occur in a variety of species.[73] Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.[62] Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.[56] It has been reported that sex can be reversed in Cannabis using chemical treatment.[74] A PCR-based method for the detection of female-associated DNA polymorphisms by genotyping has been developed.[75]

The effects were transient nothing changed.....

As Alan Partridge would say "stop getting Bond wrong"

Kopite

C

coconaut

To the peeps arguing for environmental factors; how would you explain feminized seeds?

K

kopite

To the peeps arguing for environmental factors; how would you explain feminized seeds?

reversed or selfed "true" females hence they are still genetically female but grow balls (stamens) hence the resulting seed is female... XX x XX instead of XY x XX

Kopite

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
as a matter of fact I can gurantee the main reason u had this happen is that u are using a yellow light instead of a blue spectrum light.. use 6500k daylight flourescents.. I get 70% fems

You can get as high as 90%

Yeah... this kind of concerns me though. I have 5600K lamps in my veg/mum area and I've noticed a higher number of females.

Though, I'm guessing I'm going to find a higher number of hermies when I light stress them. Time will tell. I just don't want my ladies ripping off their skirt, on the first hot day at the beach, and letting their balls hang out. Ya know?

"Dude... the light was blue, the skirt was there... I figured, wtf?"

:blowbubbles:

C

coconaut

reversed or selfed "true" females hence they are still genetically female but grow balls (stamens) hence the resulting seed is female... XX x XX instead of XY x XX

Kopite

Not quite what I meant.
Some people in this thread are arguing that environmental factors determine the sex of the plant.
I was pointing out that if the resulting seed (XX x XX) could still be influenced by environmental factors then feminized seeds would be total BS, which they are not.
Environmental factors determining sex of cannabis plants is the real BS.

K

kopite

Not quite what I meant.
Some people in this thread are arguing that environmental factors determine the sex of the plant.
I was pointing out that if the resulting seed (XX x XX) could still be influenced by environmental factors then feminized seeds would be total BS, which they are not.
Environmental factors determining sex of cannabis plants is the real BS.

arggh ok got ya... yes its bullshit... but i'm sure some will still believe it.

Kopite

B

bcell

I got beat up for disputing Chimera? He was not the one to suggest birth control pills altered sex. I think this another canna-myth.

B

bcell

you have had a man with a degree in genetics tell you what is what in chimera and you ignore it!!

Kopite

Chimera is smart but not the last word. He tends to take an alternate view on a subject (which is good) but than passes it off as 100% undisputed proof which is a bit arrogant and off putting. He may be right on genetics setting sex 100% - no idea. Experts (especially those with degrees in genetics) disagree all the time. I work with a team of experts (we all have degrees in our field of study) and we have passionate, healthy disagreement, debate all the time. The sum of the team is stronger than the individuals because of it.

C

coconaut

Geneticists debating whether environmental factors play a role in the sex of cannabis plants is akin to mathematicians debating if you can really divide by zero. IMHO.

Zealious

Utter shite plain and simple, things have moved on from K. Hirata... all you are doing is masquerading the sex ie its transient you havn't change it... just like when you reverse a plant etc.. bad info is bad info please do not spread it.

Kopite

wow lets give neg rep for posting my opinion and point of view.. I was just stating my opinion here.. and what i posted was direct from wikipedia.. sounds like a lot of scientist agree that eviroment is a huge factor...

Zealious

so when u take a XX x XX true female.. make it grow. balls.. why is it that u can get a chance of getting a Male seed. female seed and hermie seed

Zealious

That article ur referencing is not specifically about cannabis. they are talking about sex chromosomes in plants yet they have not been found in cannabis.

the article starts with the first paragraph entitled.

ABSTRACT

as in one mans theory. it is not scientific fact.

there is no way that these plants are exhibiting the normal dioecious sexing like mamals....

its not as simple as X and Y . there is more to it then science can explain.. Unless u show me a documented study with scientific evidence that proves environment does not effect the sex of this particular plant... or evidence that cannibis has a x and y chrom and sex is pre determined.. then sir u are the one full of shite.

Or maybe its just ur opinion

We are entitled to our opinions.. no need to start bashing or handing out neg rep.

K

kopite

That article ur referencing is not specifically about cannabis. they are talking about sex chromosomes in plants yet they have not been found in cannabis.

the article starts with the first paragraph entitled.

ABSTRACT

as in one mans theory. it is not scientific fact.

there is no way that these plants are exhibiting the normal dioecious sexing like mamals....

its not as simple as X and Y . there is more to it then science can explain.. Unless u show me a documented study with scientific evidence that proves environment does not effect the sex of this particular plant... or evidence that cannibis has a x and y chrom and sex is pre determined.. then sir u are the one full of shite.

Or maybe its just ur opinion

We are entitled to our opinions.. no need to start bashing or handing out neg rep.

is that why they cited:

Yamada I.. 1943. The sex chromosome of Cannabis sativa. Report of the Kihara Institute for Biological Research 2: 64-68.

http://pcp.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/36/8/1549

Male-associated DNA sequences were analyzed in a dioecious plant, Cannabis sativa L. (family: Moraceae), which is known to have sex chromosomes.

just for your info (Rumex) and hops (Humulus) are in the same family as cannabis.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

K

kopite

wow lets give neg rep for posting my opinion and point of view.. I was just stating my opinion here.. and what i posted was direct from wikipedia.. sounds like a lot of scientist agree that eviroment is a huge factor...

it wasn't neg rep I was stating I found that post bad and didn't approve as it is factually incorrect, I'm sorry if I hurt your ego but get over it and grow a set.

K

kopite

so when u take a XX x XX true female.. make it grow. balls.. why is it that u can get a chance of getting a Male seed. female seed and hermie seed

because you prob havn't used a "true" female in the first place dickhead!.

Kaneh

I don't know science behind males and females, but I have one seedbatch that gives 2/3 males, 1/3 females everytime.
I have popped over 200 seeds, in many different environments so it should be statistically correct.
>With this single experience it looks like it's genetic.

Latest posts

Latest posts