What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Do You Flush in Hydro?

ResinKing

I always flush the last 7 - 10 days till harvest , but I strongly disagree with folk saying flush with just ph'd water , what is your plant going to feed on ?????? Flush with a light soloution of nutrients and for the last 2/3 days just ph'd water...I have never fed my plants just water for 10 days , I just cant entertain the thought of them not getting food for that long..

Is there any growers on here that does it with just ph'd water on its own for 10 days or even a week ?? and how is it possible ?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Plants absorb nutes and then use them later... it's not an instant thing.

Most nutrient profiles and grow styles produce plants that are chock full of stored up nutes. Tastes like crap.

It comes down to this.... does the pH, of the water that the roots are in, affect the operating pH within the plant itself? I'd say there's a good chance but haven't noticed any difference in any of my flushes except that a longer starvation period produces better tasting meds. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

B

beatster

i flush with straight water for 7 days or so if i know when the plant is going to be finished if not ill roll on till they look ready than nothing but water till i see some nice yellow leaves, i really dont understand why people flush with ph adjusted water makes no since to me

_Dude

I don't dispute that flushing improves taste. I don't know either way. I just know if I want to smoke I grab a bud. To me that means more weight. If I want to taste something yummy I grab a cookie or a doughnut.

I've never seen the first study that shows flushing is a good idea in terms of weight. So I'd rather play it safe and keep feeding my plants.

Throwgar

Baddog, great post with the science! It's good to see someone has done their homework. It seem that most people saw the long post and ignored it.

I've tried side-by-side harvests with flush and without, and to tell you the truth, I couldn't notice much of a difference in taste. I believe that taste can be negatively effected by over-fert during anypart of the plant's life cycle, but that's only anicdotal.

It's been mentioned before,but if the plants drink more water than absorbing nutes, the ppm of the entire solution will rise.

I've always flushed in hydro for a week before harvet, but I've always been sceptical if that's had any noticeable effect on taste.

I would like to see someone with two reservoirs do a side by side blind taste test. Same strain, same age, same room, one flushed, one not. Same cure. Have people smoke A nd B and decide which they like better.

There has to be someone out there who can put some hard data to the idea of flush improving taste.
I honestly don't notice much of a difference. But it's 8 weeks for me between tasting so who knows? There's no way I can accurately remember. You can't really compare any grass that has an eight week age difference in cure either.

I am only personally experimenting with flushing, but I think it is a good idea to flush every 2 weeks with ph'ed water and fresh nutes.

I am currently at the last two weeks and I am gonna lower my nute levels and still use ph'ed water.

El Toker

I don't flush, I used to, but can't tell the difference in the weed, neither can any of my friends we've all been smoking for over 25 years. Personally, I think the whole flushing thing is probably a load of old hairy hippie bollocks.

My plants were having nute problems, but once I flushed them, the green returned, then...eventually the same problems came back. So I think there might be some benefit to flushing out the nutes every 2 weeks during flowering.

I'll agree that it is probably a bad idea to run your last two weeks with no nutes.

highonmt

Veteran
My plants were having nute problems, but once I flushed them, the green returned, then...eventually the same problems came back. So I think there might be some benefit to flushing out the nutes every 2 weeks during flowering.

I'll agree that it is probably a bad idea to run your last two weeks with no nutes.

This sounds like nutrient lockout prossibly ph related, every 2 weeks seems excessive but it depends on your system.

I like to flush 10-14 days with flora-kleen at 5ml/gallon PH 5.7 in both drip and hempy. I am a firm believer that it greatly increases the taste and smoothness of the smoke. Chlorophyll is usually all but gone leaving only yellow fans and brings out the purples and light green of the flowers. I also run dark for 24hrs then strip remaining fans and large sugar leaves and then chop em. Plants store nitrates in there leaves during the night and this dark period helps leave even less nitrates in the flowers. I dry to @50% humidity and then jar for 2 weeks venting often then finish trim and dry...That's how I like to do it and my patients and wife thank me for it. plus I'm a weed snob and like the best.

HM

This sounds like nutrient lockout prossibly ph related, every 2 weeks seems excessive but it depends on your system.

I like to flush 10-14 days with flora-kleen at 5ml/gallon PH 5.7 in both drip and hempy. I am a firm believer that it greatly increases the taste and smoothness of the smoke. Chlorophyll is usually all but gone leaving only yellow fans and brings out the purples and light green of the flowers. I also run dark for 24hrs then strip remaining fans and large sugar leaves and then chop em. Plants store nitrates in there leaves during the night and this dark period helps leave even less nitrates in the flowers. I dry to @50% humidity and then jar for 2 weeks venting often then finish trim and dry...That's how I like to do it and my patients and wife thank me for it. plus I'm a weed snob and like the best.

HM

Can anyone give me a straight answer on HYDRO (not soil) ph level? I keep hearing 6.0, but then I hear 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7. I am not saying you are wrong, but who is right? I can run my water at 5.4 or 6.0, but I need to know which one. :confused:

highonmt

Veteran
Can anyone give me a straight answer on HYDRO (not soil) ph level? I keep hearing 6.0, but then I hear 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7. I am not saying you are wrong, but who is right? I can run my water at 5.4 or 6.0, but I need to know which one. :confused:

You've got it! just make sure you hit all those #'s 5.7 is in the middle of the range. 5.2-6.2 works great. let it range..HM

BeaverHuntr

In hydro 5.8 is perfection
Try and keep it 5.5-6.0 your plants will love it.

Latest posts

Latest posts