What's new

what bulb do you flower with?

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
ok quick question as above is there a clear leader in bulbs or will any hps do im using the sunmaster duel spec:)

JB72

I use a Philips Master Son T Pia Plus, haven't a clue if it's any better I just went for the most expensive.

Dr. D

Veteran
Been using the Sunmasters for a few years now, great bulbs shame you can't use them with the digi ballasts...Peace

M

Marathanman

I read a thread with some good testing of various bulbs. The osram vialox nav-t 4y super (son-t plus) came out top for flowering.

skunktoker

Been using the Sunmasters for a few years now, great bulbs shame you can't use them with the digi ballasts...Peace

I am using a Bad-ass bulb in my Badass ballasts but in my quantum ballast (digital) I have always used sunmaster it works great so yes you can use sunmaster bulbs in your digital ballasts....ST

Dr. D

Veteran
I am using a Bad-ass bulb in my Badass ballasts but in my quantum ballast (digital) I have always used sunmaster it works great so yes you can use sunmaster bulbs in your digital ballasts....ST

I heard someone say that Sunmasters got burned up quick in a digi ballast.
MM i think thats the bulb i run in my digi ballast and personally ive found the Sunmaster better than any other bulb ive used..Peace

skunktoker

I heard someone say that Sunmasters got burned up quick in a digi ballast.
MM i think thats the bulb i run in my digi ballast and personally ive found the Sunmaster better than any other bulb ive used..Peace

Me 2 DD Personally speaking I have used them all and I prefer sunmaster rather its better or not dunno but It works great for me and I cant say the same for some of others bulbs I have used

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The thread title did not say what HPS bulb do I use to flower, just what bulb.

Plusrite 400 watt rdx, it is an HID bulb that puts out violet and yellow, no green or red. And being an HID the arc is carried by mercury so there is a little blue spike also.
The reason I use this rather than the HPS which is more efficient (I use twice as many Plusrites) is the leaf yellowing the HPS causes. I get no leaf die off towards the end of harvest, leaves are green and working all the way to the end.
The main output is 590 nm, red enough the buds like it, no green, and a violet spike at 400 nm. Not sure if its the lack of green or the violet spike, but not having the fan leaves turn yellow causes me to feel like the plants are healthier. And it is my attitude I grow for. :kitty:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Best flowering bulb is the SON-T PIA, used in the last 4 weeks give the buds optimum spectral efficiency ..... I start with Growlux and finish with a Sunmaster SON-T, the difference is noticeable in the taste, potency and colour of the bud

Greens sell them in the UK at a good price

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
i use hortilux super hps. sometimes i switch to the hortilux super blues the last week or 2 of flowering.

M

Marathanman

Some blue spectrum is said to increase potency but for yield alone the higher lumens of the HPS wins out during flowering. Personally I use grolux because they are cheap they are said to burn bright but only for one crop this time I'll be swapping to the Nav t for flowering will be interesting to see if theres a difference but with so many other factors involved it would be hard to know for sure if its the Bulb making a difference. As regards the sunmasrer I've never tried it and i'm not sure it was about when the were testing the bulbs in the thread I read. would like to find it as it was very interesting reading. maybe by somebody called oldtimer or something like that.

Yes_I_Am

im useing a sunmaster mh 600 with a lumatek ballast, im still not sure if i like it more than my hps, the colours of the plants look way nicer with this though, and they dont seem to stretch as much.

GanjaPharma

am i gonna be the only one to say i use the $20 pulsrites from 1000bulbs? i buy 2 cases at a time, and change my bulbs every 4-5 months or so. i used ushio's, and horti's for almost 10 years, and after i made the switch i saw zero change in yield.

hrtis/ushio/sunmaster...all better bulbs...fresh out the box.
i'll take a new pulserite vs a 3 month old hortilux tho.

nukklehead

I feel ya ganja.. ive tried them all and unless you are dialed in 100 percent I dont really think it makes that much of a difference.. I am an old soil farmer and I use 1000 bulbs products too... most of mine are of the phillips brand.. I have 1000w switchable. Metal halide in veg up to 2 weeks in flower then the ole HPS comes out to finish em off. MOst of us arent dialed in 100%.. The light biz is like the growshop/nute bizz... c'mon yall .. its a weed .. lets K.I.S.S...

Doc420

I use Philips Master SON-T Pia Greenpower.
Best par output of all lamps.
At leaset you can find real specs about it.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Two Plusrite bulb users out of how many thousand? I have always felt fairly unique, now is proof. :kitty: