What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tangerine kush DWC scrog

gh0stm0de

For root rot, use dutchmaster zone. If you keep temps in check you will never have rot again.

Edit: let me back up a sec. You are using orca which is a live res method. This is a product i have never used but would try if i did live rez.

You may be aware if this info but claim to be new so forgive me if you already know, i am just trying to help as others did for me in early 2000s on overgrow..

There are 2 philosophies for root zone health in dwc and really most growing. Live rez and sterile. In live rez, as you are doing with orca, beneficial bacteria and microorganisms are used to stimulate healthy root conditions. Now, the potential here is great and its all natural but you lose a certain degree of control vs sterile imo because you have no idea of precise content of bennies as you do with sterile. More typical for people who go organic with nutes and most use aact or ewc teas as their primary root supplement.

The other method is what i prefer and that is sterile. You keep a clean root zone by killing off anything growing down there besides the roots. Dutch master zone contains chloramine, a derivitave of chlorine, that will not evap or be consumed so you dont top off just add to next fresh rez swap, ideally weekly. I have gotten most pearly healthy roots ive personally produced, while using zone. No i dont work for them lol but i swear by it because i once got root rot in summer 07 using live rez but no chiller. Only couple got hit but some others had pythium which is almost as bad and can spread through your system if you have multiple buckets recirculating.

Last edited:
I'm running orca and I keep the tent temps in check with ventilation. This in turn keeps res temps withing the save zone. I prefer orca as it is highly concentrated and has yielded healthy roots for me. You are correct with the lst I am doing. I'm trying to see how far I can push it without using a net for training. If things go the way it did last time, I might use a net for a support trellis at the end of bloom. Last time I ran this cut she yielded 9 3/4 oz and took up just over half the tent. This was due to some lst and some great genetics. I agree Scroging isn't the most time efficient for veg or great for perpetual growing. This is a solid 8 week plant once I switch to 12/12. I'm a hobbyist above all else and I like seeing what I can do with the space provided. If I was wanting to chase yield and crazy numbers I would rig up my 5x9 tent that is next to my little bloom tent. The goal is chasing what kind of weight I can pull out of my bloom tent��. The light setup isn't the most ideal setup as it is an open reflector de setup. Hence the reason I was looking at a high output cobb setup. The issue is that my current light isn't a year old yet and I have a hard time convincing myself today spend another 1k on a light that will do what my current one is already doing. Granted power savings would be nice. The investment will take alot of time to pay off. Oh and the only other limit is the plant count. Alaska gave me a 6 plant in bloom limit which limits me from going sog. Just in case anyone was curious the genetics of the tangerine kush was originally from Exotic seeds.i highly recommend checking them out. The cool part with the concentrates is that when my other half and I make hard candies with them (10mg each) they taste like fruit loops.

gh0stm0de

Dude i almost made a joke about how you must live in alaska for those temps haha.

I agree 100%, dont waste money on a new light. De lighting is amongst the best output available.

When i mentioned keep temps in check i meant rez temps, via chiller, though you probably dont have that problem haha. Do you monitor root temps? Its important because lockout could occur if they ever got under 64-65 degrees

Anyways sorry to post so much to your thread, im really into dwc and like what you're doing.

I think I'm still new to this. I've been growing for just over a year now. I appreciate the knowledge you are taking the time to share, and yes I am aware of sterile vs bennie's for hydro. I started with dirt and hydro side by side the first run and switched to just hydro after that. I spent about 100 hours or more reading Internet forums, articles, and a book on growing, and YouTube videos before I ever planted a seed. Mostly on hydroponic methods, tent setup, environmental controls, water chemistry and more time than I care to think about trying to sort out all the bullshit marketing with nutrients. I monitor res ph and ppm a few times a week. I usually adjust it according to what the plant is asking for. Oh and I spent a lot of time learning the relationship between ph, ppm, and nutrient absorption/lockout. I check on my plants in the morning and after I get home from work. It's my mellow out time. I'll post some root photos later today. Oh this is my 5th run and it is going to screw with my perpetual. It's not much an issue since I'm going to be starting seeds here soon. I'm either going to run brothers grimm c99 or bomb seeds gg#4 x THC bomb. Root zone temps run around 70 to 72, which is a little high but still safe. All in all the last 3 runs were mostly problem free, the last was almost perfect (only one mag defficiency worth noting). I'm a bit of a mad botanist...

As promised, here's a shot of the under carriage.

Attachments

• 20170420_151326.jpg
    20170420_151326.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170420_151220.jpg
    20170420_151220.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 8

gh0stm0de

Perfect roots and great training. You are really optimizing your canopy.

I always wanted to run bros grimm gear, c99 and a11 mostly. Heavens stairway got hit in the early 2000s and bros grim disappeared til just recently. Im overstocked on beans and can't justify it now but i cant imagine cindy letting you down. I did gypsys f2 but it did not represent original BG out of my 5 females.

Hey, i noticed your bin isnt covered or insulated. I personally insulate my lids sides, and tubing which is not expensive, but you should strongy consider covering it with black white poly plastic. Good to have extra light blocking barrier and very inexpensive.

I've read a bunch on Bros Grimm and the story that went with c99. It made for an interesting read. While there is no way to know if it's true and the new c99 is the same as the original.... I don't care. What I do know is the breeder came back and the new beans are producing fire from the looks of the limited journals on it. Pretty consistent 8 weeks and some interesting phenotypes. The beans are spendy, and we shall see if they are worth it.

I've light blocked totes in the past and it will drop res temps by 1-3°F. If I see signs of trouble I'll just swap the tote out. Oh and I use alumized heat tape. It works really good and a roll goes a long ways. The blue totes actually block alot of light as is. Now my cloner/nursery tote is heat taped as its white plastic and quite translucent. That one is a nice little diy job. It's got 2 different lids. One I believe is a 20 site rubber collar cloner and the other lid is a 9 site 3" net pot seed starter / pain in the ass plant cloner. As we all know some strains clone easier than others.... the diy is a bubble cloner and it runs with 2 12" long airstone stones in it. 90 to 100% success rate. I also use a humidity dome with rapid rooter cubes that works awesome too.

So today I finally got around to making bho. Got a 18.5% yield out of the sour diesel and super lemon haze from the last grow. Nowhere near my best return, but it made some beautiful bho! I also made my first moon rock, which was fun. The little nugget absorbed 1.68g of bho!

Attachments

• 20170422_181958.jpg
    20170422_181958.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170422_192259.jpg
    20170422_192259.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 8
That is from the dye in powdered maxibloom. Completely normal and causes no harm. FYI maxibloom is a wonderful 1 part nutrient. I started with advanced and switched to maxibloom as it is cheaper by alot and very effective.

She has made a full recovery and is back to growing vigorously. Ph and ppm are stable. She is drinking and eating at an even rate. I'm thinking about plumbing a second tub to it as a reserve resivoir. Otherwise here in a week or 2 it's going to be adding water multiple times a week. I started thinking about how much water I was going through with a full canopy with 4 plants. I'm figuring that much biomass will need close to the same fluid uptake...

Made another batch of bho today as well. This one consists of og kush and purple trainwreck. The second picture of the amber colored disk is the run from this weekend. I think it looks pretty damn cool

Attachments

• 20170424_195729.jpg
    20170424_195729.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170423_102312.jpg
    20170423_102312.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 8
I'm advising alot of caution when getting into bho extraction. There are some awesome guides out there. I recommend getting a kit from best value vacs that has a the single stage pump, vac chamber, and temp controlled heat pad. I'll be doing some qwiso extraction with the bud that was ran once with butane. Results of that batch will be posted later.

ODF

Nice save! I'm along for the ride for sure. Great looking BHO as well, will look into best value vacs.

Here's to the rest of the grow going smoothly!

Yea it "should" be smooth sailing from here. The only wild cards at this point are this being my first attempt at a scrog, and whatever curve ball Murphy throws at me... I've been lst training twice a day bending tops on new growth. She is turning into quite the propper hedge ha ha.

I'm going to have to build a net this weekend. Here is how she is looking now at just about a foot tall.

Attachments

• 20170428_155849.jpg
    20170428_155849.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 14