What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Cashless society is coming - how do we prepare for it?

troutman

Seed Whore
When I go shopping I'm one of the few with cash.

Pretty soon, I'll wear disguise with gloves to get away from Biometric cameras digitizing us for the
G-Men. I also refuse to have GPS tracking beacon and body wire device too. Aka cell phone.

I hope the NSA doesn't Snowden me for this post. :hide:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's a worry. Personally I like the idea of banning anything that's not cash. Especially for filling up the car. The que would be a lot quicker, if everyone stuck in an amount of fuel, they could actually hand over the cash for. I'm usually away from the till quicker than I can say the pump number. After waiting for some dumb fuck in front that didn't even think to get their payment method out their pocket, or to put in back in during the walk back to the car. Instead, treating the visit like a social call...

Cash is King. Long Live the King

soil margin

Veteran
Debit cards were first introduced to the market in 1966. If 50+ years of cashless technology didn’t kill cash, I highly doubt a few more years of any cashless tech is going to make a noticeable difference. Cash isn’t going away until you start paying people to give it up.

MedFaced

A few years back the local law enforcement and military/homeland security had mock zombie invasion down here in SoCal. Lots of people came out and had fun with it. Of course it was labeled as disaster/terrorism training drills.

"No one knows what the zombies will do in our scenario, but quite frankly no one knows what a terrorist will do..."
:laughing:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/weird/Mock-Zombie-Invasion-Held-in-San-Diego-176483921.html

One can spin this a bunch of ways, but they shelled out big bucks to test controls on massive crowds.

Brother Nature

I prefer to use cash for most things, unless they're large purchases. I do find at most places have already queued up the cost on the card swiping machine before they even return eye contact to receive payment, then they either look at you funny or annoyed they have to count out change. It seems to be more of a city phenomenon from my experience, out in the more rural areas cash is still king and people seem to still be able to do basic math in their head.

The governments seem to be catching on to the de-centralization of currency (a la the success of bitcoin and the failure of governments to regulate it) and the euro seems to have been the first step on the way to a worldwide currency, my thoughts are gearing towards a worldwide centralized currency in our future. Not sure if it'd be a bad thing or good though.

T

Teddybrae

And not only Anti-Semitic (ha ha) Mr Troutman, it potentially confounds the hunger for cash in the HUGE black market.

For example in the 1980's the illegal Cannabis crop in Queensland Australia was reckoned to exceed the value of that states Sugar Cane crop.

Anyone who has visited Queensland will know that sugar cane is everywhere on the coastal plain ... millions of acres of it. So the values talked about here are enormous.

I find myself wondering how the black marketeers view the idea of a Cashless society. I predict some future feet-dragging in parliament and maybe the legalising of Cannabis here before we become cashless.

(Interesting to think that a government desire to have no cash works in favour of the legalising of cannabis! Well, they say when one door closes, another door opens ...)

BTW: No cash is almost Anti-semetic. :biggrin:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many years ago when I was still working like a dog, I had a client in pompano who was elderly and lived in a condo. She was referred to me by a friend of a friend who was a retired veterinarian from NYC. She would call me every few months or so and ask to buy a $1,000 face value bag of 90% silver coin. This is heavy and she always had me deliver it.

I asked her, Shirley why are you buying all these heavy bags of silver coins? She told me matter of factly that the dollar is going to be confiscated or made worthless and we'll need these 90% silver dimes to buy bread! And so I stared her right in the eye and asked, "Shirley, do you own any guns"? ( I already kinda knew what the answer was going to be huh ) She looked at me wild eyed and said "why no I don't own any guns" to which I repled " well you should because of the place goes into the type of scenario you describe then the person who has the gun is going to take your silver".

Lrus007

Veteran
i use cash mostly, card for online.
i saved when young. get the stink eye sometimes
when i use a old bill. even worse when they look new.
if cash crashes barter will take over. then silver/gold coin.
or banks will have no cash. but people holding cash will.
long live cash lol

M

moose eater

Envision large farmers' markets turned swap meets, with barter being the new currency.

Years ago it was my understanding that Uncle Sam could interpret barter as income. If true, imagine the level of authoritarianism required to declare that item X is automatically, irrefutably worth Y, and like wait staff who have the govvy assume their tip rates, there's no real arguing about it.

Or, maybe get rid of such governments for having over-stepped their bounds in their quests for control.

I keep hoping that one day the People will turn off their televisions long enough to realize how subtly and not-so subtly they've been getting screwed by their helpful 'representatives.'.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
She looked at me wild eyed and said "why no I don't own any guns" to which I repled " well you should because of the place goes into the type of scenario you describe then the person who has the gun is going to take your silver".

yup. lead (bullets) will be more valuable than silver OR gold if shit really flies all to hell...although gold WOULD make fine bullets for muzzleloaders. need soft stuff to expand at that slow of a velocity. :biggrin:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Silver bullets are good for vampires apparently - oh and werewolves - gold bullets? - that's got me trying to work out the cost of a regular .45 round - made of gold at current world gold prices - but I'm crap at maths - lol

EsterEssence

Veteran
My kids don’t use cash much, the other day at Home Depot most of the check out counters said credit only, so it is already starting. There is to many people that have cash at this point, people who don’t trust banks.