What's new

ALTERNATIVES TO CABLE TV

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We have as many do, Comcast and they sure suck. The internet options seem to be pretty good but the television options suck for our uses. One of us likes to watch scary shows/movies, romance and the other one of us will pick up an occasional series or turner classics. This becomes a $250 monthly bill pretty fast.

MOST and I mean 90+% of the television stuff is not interesting to us and so we are in pursuit of any and all options. What say you? Have you been able to escape from cable television? How did you do it?

Anyone have an opinion on sling tv ? / sling.com ?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
A good friend of mine acquired a telescope - so now he has the cosmos to look at - he's not interested in the TV -

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Have a look here Tudo:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=367034

There are numerous options based on your viewing tastes.Many suggest trying different providers as they offer trial periods.Roku costs for the device that allows the content to be delivered,but after that you can choose ala carte the programming you prefer,and at a savings.

Local programming can be accessed via an antenna connected to your tv,but far better than the old rabbit ears that so many of us remember from the "old days".You might want to research Mohu antennas for that purpose as they seem to have a decent device,and a loyal following.

dddaver

Veteran
No cable out here so no problem making that choice. :biggrin: Check out orby.com. It comes with a dish, and an antenna to pick up your local broadcasting.

No fox news. Durn :biggrin:. It does have some other conservative news station though if you're a fan of those lies. And it does have CNN (2 channels) if you're a fan of that flavor of lying. But no all sports channels though. And no on demand. Like no Netfilx. It's satellite. But has multiple channels of HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Epix and junk like that.

It's good for those of us who don't watch TV that much.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I cut the cord, right now I have Roku, and Netflix. I tried cbs all access but cancelled before the week was up, then they sent me a free month which I cancelled. All of the services give you a week free trial, If I wanted more channels I would do hulu live under 50 a month and a dvr type cloud. I don’t care about fox or cnn both to me are a waste of time. It took me no time at all to get use to it, espically when that $130.00 bill quit coming...

St. Phatty

Have you been able to escape from cable television? How did you do it?

Anyone have an opinion on sling tv ? / sling.com ?

Keep an eye out for garage sales.

$1 a DVD for movies.

I went to one where the guy was a "professional picker", bought the contents of storage units at auction then arranged it all into his own little outdoor country store.

$1 a DVD.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
A relative of mine uses a Kodi box connected to the internet, it's an Android based download box with over 100 channels showing movies, music, TV shows, sports, cartoons and lots of other stuff, it only cost about AU$90 on eBay.

asa42

Anime n Stoner Aficionado
what about free streaming sites like pluto tv or couch tuner for tv shows and openload for movies? there are lots of em out there, some work better than others, and some carry programs others dont. just gotta be willing to either deal with pop up ads or install ad blockers & also gotta learn how to navigate thru the sites cause they will try to send ya places with free trials ... any good free site does NOT require a sign in. if ya end up at such a bugger ya navigated wrong

coarse ya gotta have internet for those...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"i find television to be very educational. every time someone turns it on, i go into another room & read a book." - Groucho Marx :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Free over the air. I get about 7 HD stations and I mix it with Netflix. I haven't had cable poor a telephone line in 10 years.

soil margin

Veteran
I haven’t bothered with a real tv or content service in years. Any movie or documentary I want to watch is usually available via torrent. Pretty much everything else I’m interested in is on YouTube for free. 99% of tv shows and movies are such shit these days that paying for any of them just makes me feel like a sucker. I also think that paying for 24/7 content makes it more attractive to sit on the couch and waste time. If I have to actually search to try and find something to watch it makes me more likely to get off my ass and do something productive.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I cut the cord and not looking back, as over ten years of
cable the cost was illuminating and staggering at the same time.

Easily ten grand, lol.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I just pulled up Quicken and took a quick look. From 1-26-1992 to date I have written checks to Warner Cable for $30,674.89

Latest posts

Latest posts