What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why all the hate with Autoflowers?

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
some reason: grower is not really competent to grow photoperiodic types, not sure when to switch, etc... autoflos do it by nature.
you don t need to keep up a motherplant or more. you don t need to clone it, just sow the seed and let it grow... where is the saving if you run a mothertent and clones.

only you don t need to rebuy seeds.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
some reason: grower is not really competent to grow photoperiodic types, not sure when to switch, etc... autoflos do it by nature.
you don t need to keep up a motherplant or more. you don t need to clone it, just sow the seed and let it grow... where is the saving if you run a mothertent and clones.

With photoperiods you don't have to keep a mother either, you just have the option if you find a special plant you want to keep or to maintain uniform grows.

I could see for the new grower who might be intimidated with all the things there are to know when first learning about growing and just wanting a plant that flowers on its own without having to worry about when to switch lighting schedules, transplanting, etc. But aren't autos a little sensitive and less forgiving of mistakes than photos? I'd think a photo could teach a beginner more about growing and leave more room for mistakes (strain depending).

Maybe I'm wrong, I've never grown an auto but would honestly like to at some point. Seems there has been lots of advancement in the auto field since they first came out.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i don't think so, due to ruderalis genes, they survive more mistakes than some special hybrid. i was thinking the same they only have spare place in a mothertent for fungrow, it was true with the first ones like lowriders,

and there is no problem if you schedule autoflowers to a 18/6 later 12/12 periods this gives you difference just in slightly lower yields. i am not sure about the % because never tried it side by side,
that would be an interesting grow to compare it.
in the last few years i am doing something like this, germinate some af, grow them under cfls for 2-3 weeks in a coco perlite mix, than around mid of may they go out to their final place, and they finish late july early august.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen

Looks good to me. I grow outdoors so if it really yields the way they say it does and is hardy, I could see a plant like that being a huge advantage to me. 2 harvests per season are better than 1. Something that is low maintenance and practically grows itself is also a huge plus.

Has anyone tried making fem seeds from autos? Does the auto gene carry over to the next generation?

slipdefeu

What about the frustration to find a good lady and never be able to keep her? :biggrin:
My mothers stay under a very low wattage light and don't take lot of space, i only run non-auto seeds because i like to take cuttings from every single seed i let grow, just in case ;)
For me the saving with running mother room and clones is total, you found awesome ones? then just keep'em as long as you want and share them with your friends, that's a big part of what i like in it :)

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
it is personal preference, maybe someone like to hunt different phenos all the time, others like the same..

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone tried making fem seeds from autos? Does the auto gene carry over to the next generation?

Even if the auto trait is recessive when you cross with a photoperiod strain; when you cross 2 autos the offspring will be "automaticly" auto :biggrin:. I have done autoreg seeds from autoreg seeds with success . Autofem will follow soon .

There's a way to keep an auto strain : micropropagation . If you master micropropagation your auto lines can be killer lines . That might explain the very good work and reputation on buddha seeds auto . ( https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6670414&postcount=71 )

:tiphat:

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really don't see what the advantages of growing autos indoors are. You already have complete control over the environment so there really is no reason to need a plant that flowers on its own. Why would you use a 16 hour flowering time when you can do it at 12 hours with a photoperiod plant and save money on electricity as well as having as good or better results?

Outdoors is a different story cause you can't control the sun and early harvests are nice, especially when the weather sucks in a given region come autumn or you want a few harvests per season.

Not hating on autos, just wondering why an indoor grower would choose them over a photoperiod.
I AGREE
i love autoflowers i make a lot of different autoflowering lines-stains also with no ruderalias in them
)yes i found in DJ,blueberry fully autoflowering phenos').
but i dont understand why indoor .
i always use them outdoor with great succes.
harvest mid summer good smokes
peace LBH

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mixed techniques are also very good . Veg indoor then flo outdoor.

In theory:
If you have a cool place to veg indoor all the season .
If you use a strain with a SURE (already tested) 60/70 days cycle .
And if you have THE secure place to do 1 month indoor and to finish them outdoor.
Then you can harvest something like a crop a month for few months .

:thinking: :violin:

Now practice ! :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Indoors for those in cabinets, small grow spaces, no access to patio/back yard/garden....it works!

pinkus

Veteran
I AGREE
i love autoflowers i make a lot of different autoflowering lines-stains also with no ruderalias in them
)yes i found in DJ,blueberry fully autoflowering phenos').
but i dont understand why indoor .
i always use them outdoor with great succes.
harvest mid summer good smokes
peace LBH
If it's autoflowering, it had ruderalis genes.

angelgoob

flouros are the shit when it comes to veg but i have some high K LED uncapped im using.

it's an old 11 watt 800 lumen. but I assure you it's close as fuck lol.

yea you gotta veg hard with autos. establish roots. once you do that flower is easy. it's already dug into soil. unless you're not using REAL soil. then worry and use your nutes and ph and all that bull.

never really fed an auto anything, but I do have some flower nutes I am gonna use. Going to use 1/4 strength of course. maybe less? All i know is the seed has energy and auto seeds are bigger. bigger taproot. bigger cotyledons.

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it's autoflowering, it had ruderalis genes.

good to know.......wat do i know about autoflowering....
so you sey DJ short uses ruderalis in his blueberry good to know ....
and the autoflowers i find in pure landrace thai where also no Thai but ... ruderalis ..
thanks for your help learing me how it realy is with autoflowers...

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
o_O i think you messed up something, blueberry can have lot of mutants when you germinate seeds, but never had ruderalis in it, and it was never autoflower except, it starts to flower automatically when got 12/12.

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
no im sure i had some blueberry dj short .males and female that started flowering under 18/6 and put them under 24 still flowering even had male that i keep under 24light that alway,s drop pollen for years.
you can take cuttings but he keep on flowering realy weird..
but i also found in Thai the autoflowering gen... but blueberry is also great part thai so meabey that why i found it in blueberry too.(also found in DJ shorts F13 autoflowering) and im not the only one that found that autoflowering gen in the dj short lines more people found them!
but its a not exepted mutation for indoor so they dont breed them.
they dont grow like ruderalis/lowryder...
i dint sey they have ruderalis in them pinkus sey that....
sorry for my bad english

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i doubt there is any ruderalis in bb, myself never saw it, only weird, or bizarre plants... some just stopped to grow like you cut off the top shoot, some were siamese twins..
some with three cotyledon, but no autoflowers here, neither djs berry nor dutchpassions

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i doubt there is any ruderalis in bb, myself never saw it, only weird, or bizarre plants... some just stopped to grow like you cut off the top shoot, some were siamese twins..
some with three cotyledon, but no autoflowers here, neither djs berry nor dutchpassions
indeed i dont think there are ruderalis in them .
in the dj short lins dint found manny but had some they are more found in
dj shorts/leggends F13 but those have more mutations too in there line.
i grow a lot of them most of the growers wont found them becorse they put them 12/12 before they go autoflowering.
only becorse i put them indoor longer veg time i found them (making clones for outdoor grows)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, cab did well fer a few yrs. gr8 seedz, t5's, soiless mix. autos easy to conceal od.

Everyone has their own method- if it's working, don't mess with success! And probably having 8-10 grows under your belt, you know what you're doing, pp.