What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

St. Phatty

We had a guinea fowl that flew up and tried to counter attack a hawk. I couldn't believe it. Hawk couldnt either, as it left immediately.

The hawk just wants to get busy scraping the feathers off a hen's stomach before it rips open the belly and goes for the main course.

I'm not sure how the hawks decide where to land or attack next but.

NO FOX TERRIER IS SAFE.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have seen a bird land on a Hawk's head to try to peck out it's eyes. A Swallow is agile enough. Hawks come from above and take Swallows for a snack.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
RE hawk avoiding a fight. most predators WILL avoid a prey that fights back/attacks. any injury could be a death sentence in the wild. safer to find an easier meal unless on the edge of starvation...

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Picked up another 2000 rounds of airgun pellets and hybrid slugs in 22 25 and 35 this week. Prices range from 5 to 10 cents per round.

St. Phatty

I was lucky enough to end up in a private seminar on the subject of Suppressors, last Friday.

One of the guys is someone I met at the range, a real experienced firearms person. His 338 Lapua Magnum bolt action is quieter than my 308 - both with suppressors.

He has about 12 Suppressors. The other is the owner of a local firearms store where the guy with the 338 LM happens to hang out.

It's sort of like the Country version of Seinfeld. or Friends.

Nobody in the store was wearing a mask, except me.

Long story short, the fact that semi-auto's use a small fraction of the gas to cycle the bolt, has BIG implications for Suppressor design.

I think you would have to visit every firearms store in an urban area, in a state like California, to find 2 guys that knowledgeable & willing to share their knowledge, for free.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
So spring is officially underway! Purple flower weeds are out, but the big clue is the Swallows returning. Here are pair of purple Martins. She (the lighter colored one) is checking out the housing. I need to get more gourds up, stat!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00251.JPG Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	17797079

Last edited:

imiubu

Robin Red Breast returned last week.
2-3 days ago at dawn, I watched the Crow return. Noisy bastids they are indeed lol.

St. Phatty

I went down to the Police Department to ask about the rules & regulations of selling firearms.

One of them asked me to show him one of the rifles. I said, "you sure this is OK ?"

Anyway, he said he always wanted to own that particular caliber so I might have sold one right there.

Not sure that could have happened in an urban area.

He was the first person I've talked to who was PSYCHED about a 224 Valkyrie. (22 caliber designed for High BC bullets)

If you took out a 224 Valkyrie Rifle in the parking lot of a police department in Suburbia Land ... "Don't Tase me Bro ! ! !" :)

St. Phatty

5400.jpg

I found this 30 caliber bullet on the Graf's website.

Thought it was interesting. Not super aerodynamic.

Also it says they plate the lead cores by tumbling them with copper ingots.
Not sure it's plating-plating.

I guess they call that kind of bullet a wad cutter ?

"A wadcutter is a special-purpose flat-fronted bullet specifically designed for shooting paper targets,"

Does it have any other names ?

Wonder if it can make it to the 100 yard line.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
bigbullets.jpg

Ahh - ha - you vont big bullets - I give you big bullets - very dangerous - try to avoid them - lol

St. Phatty

They say it's for making round holes in target shooting but all smaller bullets do that.

I guess larger bullets do muss up the paper a bit and handgun bullets tend to be bigger diameter than rifle bullets.

I could see in a competition, it's easier to measure if you have 5 round holes than if you have 5 jagged holes, like a 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster rifle would make.

Incidentally, Senile Joe has delegated Gun Control duties to Senile Dianne.

I started reading the bill.

They backed off the craziest part of Joe's initial threat in his Twitter post.

Senile Dianne's bill applies to new purchases. & no mention of the $800 NFA registration - per item - that was mentioned in one gun-grabber's notes.

Not sure about medium capacity magazines, like the Magpul D60.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the squared leading edge makes a very clean-cut hole in paper targets, making scoring much less subjective...target ammo, but you still don't want to take one anywhere center-mass.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
not a fan of the part that says EVERY sale will need to be checked. i can see not selling to someone either, though. if they want to veto leaving family heirlooms to children, i have questions. i do, nowadays, understand what they are calling the "gun show loophole". all sales by a vendor at a gun show are background checked. it is the ol' boys working the crowd selling a trunkload of rifles etc out in the parking lot. you bring a gun, and sell it, i don't have a problem. if you bring multiple firearms, guess what? you are a dealer that is too cheap to rent a table inside...seeing lots of for-sale ads in local papers. most are requiring a background check even in private sales now. getting ahead of the wave? avoiding legal problems of selling to wrong person? i don't know.