What's new

burn or deficiency

HUGE

Veteran
plant is PK v2.o at week 4
grown in botanicare ready grow top drip hydro halo
sensi at 1.1 EC ph6.1 thats all
this coco is new to me and im developing what you see in the pics. im down to over fed, under fed or if they dried out too much a few times and this is the result. if anyone has any guesses im all ears.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
More info is required HUGE. Did the problems begin at the bottom of the plant and move upwards, or did it affect most of the leaves at once?

Ive seen symptoms similar to the first two pics when I overferted some Sativas. Leaf tip scorching and edge scorching is one way to diagnose this, but knowing the media EC would be very helpful.

I see nothing that would make me think its related to under-watering. N deficiency is the first sign you see of under-watering.

The last two pics make me think of K deficiency. Necrotic spotting, leaf tip scorching, and edge scorching are symptoms, but you'll see it start at the bottom and progress upwards.

HUGE

Veteran
EC is 1.1 mostly affecting middle and bottom equally but progressing uo the plant

Dave Coulier

Veteran
EC is 1.1 mostly affecting middle and bottom equally but progressing uo the plant

1.1 is what you're feeding it correct? I mean the EC of your soil-less media. You can find this using the NCSU Pour-Thru method, or using a suction lysimeter, but I doubt you own one, so the Pour-Thru method is your best way of knowing.

It sounds like a mobile nutrient deficiency. Ive updated my signature. Id suggest you watch those videos. You'll learn quite a bit.

If you're using coco it naturally has a fair bit of K in it. Seeing how dark green the leaves are in the first couple pics...I'm wondering if you've given them too much K, which will look alot like too little K. It would be nice to see a pic of the entire plant instead of just a couple leaves. My guess is K but only you know exactly what you've feed them so far...did you give them too much or too little K??

S

SeaMaiden

Burned by N+ and a Ca-.

Evidenced N+ by very dark green leaves plus the tips are burned.

Ca- evidenced by necrosis at leaf margins and extending into interveinal areas. What would make it a 100%+ Dx of Ca- would be if the affected leaves are higher up on the plant instead of low down, or only occurring mid-plant. This is why it's important to be able to see the entire plant, not just the areas affected up close.

D

dramamine

Underfed....look at that last leaf pic. Don't see how that could be too much N. Most strains need more than 1.1 EC.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Burned by N+ and a Ca-.

Evidenced N+ by very dark green leaves plus the tips are burned.

Ca- evidenced by necrosis at leaf margins and extending into interveinal areas. What would make it a 100%+ Dx of Ca- would be if the affected leaves are higher up on the plant instead of low down, or only occurring mid-plant. This is why it's important to be able to see the entire plant, not just the areas affected up close.

I believe you are confusing some of his symptoms for Ca deficiency. Ca is an immobile nutrient, and symptoms will only manifest in the newest growth. Older fan leaves will be completely unaffected by it.

T

TribalSeeds

Did you pre-charge your coco with Ca before planting/transplanting? Have you recently transplanted to new coco when the problem started?
I grow in coco and at this point I think Ive seen everything. Thats not nute burn and Ive never seen an underfed plant burn up like that in coco, and Ive underfed for weeks before.
I think you need more micros. Up your nutes and dont let it dry. I think eventually getting to 2.0 would be good. I go with 5.8-6.0.

MIway

Veteran
Hey huge... hope ur doin well

I had that on my last runs too... was suggested anywhere from too much nutes to not enough calmag... neither really made sense based on my feed schedules... and it looks like k uptake issues quite frankly. Reading the aptus literature and the nute curves made a lot of sense based on timing, whAT I was feeding and seeing... just suggested that more k is needed... and that maybe even all the calmag I was add-in made it worse.

Dunno... but it is k def... either as an uptake issue or just not enough. I'd vote w dram. Peace

S

SeaMaiden

I believe you are confusing some of his symptoms for Ca deficiency. Ca is an immobile nutrient, and symptoms will only manifest in the newest growth. Older fan leaves will be completely unaffected by it.

No, I don't think I'm confused at all. I didn't say "newest growth," I said simply higher up on the plant, and one of the tells that would disallow a Ca- would be if the necrosis occurs mid-plant, lower down; i.e. not new growth.

What I didn't do was flesh out the thought, to go on to say that if the necrosis is occurring mid-plant then HUGE is likely looking at a K uptake problem.

:)

HUGE

Veteran
Definitely k uptake issue. The question is is it lockout or underfeed.. I'm leaning toward lockout or inability to uptake for some reason. It hasn't progressed in the last few days.whatever it was it doesn't seem too serious

broad mites

broad mites

this coco is new to me and im developing what you see in the pics. im down to over fed, under fed or if they dried out too much a few times and this is the result. if anyone has any guesses im all ears.[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38734&pictureid=916403&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38734&pictureid=916402&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38734&pictureid=916401&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38734&pictureid=916400&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I (think)...I have "broad mites". It's either broads or some form of mosaic or "hemp virus" my plants look exactly like that. Been growing using the same method for decades. And have been battling this for a year and a half now. At this point I am starting a exhaustive effort to determine exactly what it is. I get quality and yields that are below average but still finish with daily adjustments and treating for broads using everything but extreme insecticides.This will now change, Waiting on "Judo" now.(for mothers) Mothers look fine. But when put into ebb and flo system the trouble starts. Even after cleaning it with bleach and TSP and throwing most of the system (pots and tubing and controller) away only scrubbing rez and keeping a short distance of tubing. So my research will be exhaustive this time. After this grow I will remove everything this time and spray with bleach and tsp again and then put up twice as many hot shots as recommended for four weeks (left to soak in rooms) with no exhaust and no plants. And then I will use the "Judo" on potted plants with soulless medium on "Test plants" (small grow) using a 400 watt hps...this should at least tell me if it's broads of a form of hemp or mosaic or some form of virus or if its bugs. The reason for this is this grow I hung some "hot shots" at the beginning an it seemed to help a lot. But I have read so many different things like the bugs and a "Virus" may not present itself until the plants are well into flower. And this is what is happening. So I finally have the time and resources to do this. It goes without saying I have searched my ass of and cannot find a bug anywhere. What I have is no deff...let me repeat I have no lockout or deff. My plants look very similar as those in the picture. Now in late flower (3 weeks left) I have dark leaves even at the bottom of plant with large area's of ragged pieces missing from leaf. And the ppms have been at around 400 going to straight water now.They don't start to yellow from the bottom up like they should with less nutes. I will put up some pics maybe today some time. Hope you figure it out.And I hope I do as well. And I will this time due to process of elimination. Tired of f-ing around with this.

T

TribalSeeds

this coco is new to me and im developing what you see in the pics. im down to over fed, under fed or if they dried out too much a few times and this is the result. if anyone has any guesses im all ears.View Image View Image View Image View Image

This is what caused the uptake problems. When I first started I wasnt watering enough and had that burn. I thought it was also a cal/mag problem at the time because I didnt pre-treat my coco. Now I just run full strength nutes through it to fill the CEC and keep it from drying out all the way. Coco is great if you dont let it dry out and burn your plants

RetroGrow

Veteran
I (think)...I have "broad mites". It's either broads or some form of mosaic or "hemp virus" my plants look exactly like that. Been growing using the same method for decades. And have been battling this for a year and a half now. At this point I am starting a exhaustive effort to determine exactly what it is. I get quality and yields that are below average but still finish with daily adjustments and treating for broads using everything but extreme insecticides.This will now change, Waiting on "Judo" now.(for mothers) Mothers look fine. But when put into ebb and flo system the trouble starts. Even after cleaning it with bleach and TSP and throwing most of the system (pots and tubing and controller) away only scrubbing rez and keeping a short distance of tubing. So my research will be exhaustive this time. After this grow I will remove everything this time and spray with bleach and tsp again and then put up twice as many hot shots as recommended for four weeks (left to soak in rooms) with no exhaust and no plants. And then I will use the "Judo" on potted plants with soulless medium on "Test plants" (small grow) using a 400 watt hps...this should at least tell me if it's broads of a form of hemp or mosaic or some form of virus or if its bugs. The reason for this is this grow I hung some "hot shots" at the beginning an it seemed to help a lot. But I have read so many different things like the bugs and a "Virus" may not present itself until the plants are well into flower. And this is what is happening. So I finally have the time and resources to do this. It goes without saying I have searched my ass of and cannot find a bug anywhere. What I have is no deff...let me repeat I have no lockout or deff. My plants look very similar as those in the picture. Now in late flower (3 weeks left) I have dark leaves even at the bottom of plant with large area's of ragged pieces missing from leaf. And the ppms have been at around 400 going to straight water now.They don't start to yellow from the bottom up like they should with less nutes. I will put up some pics maybe today some time. Hope you figure it out.And I hope I do as well. And I will this time due to process of elimination. Tired of f-ing around with this.

If it's Broad mites, you can see their eggs under the leaf surfaces with a loupe. You will need a strong loupe or microscope.

Been trying to post pictures. I have a 30 X and use to have a 60 X..never could see a single one. But people have told me this damage can occur with as little as just a few bugs. Looked at all the rite places near top, in between small leaf and stem.I have been bouncing back and forth from broads to a virus back and forth for a year and a half. I will continue to try and post pics of "lemon haze", "Jillybean", and "strawberry blue",...could not stay in there long to take all the pics I would like. Have "hepa air filtration" . All started with disp clones. Grow from seed only my friends.I have always been a huge fan of extra potash when growing hydro so nope not that just in case someone suggests. Some may say these plants don't look so terrible . I can say this normally the flowers would be twice this size and the lower leaf would be way more yellow at these ppm's. And this kind of damage would not be there. Same nutes and amendments I have always used, ph as always around 5.6 to 5.9.

Latest posts

Latest posts