What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are the high priced seed strains worth it?

ace

A simple questions which I know the answer is subjective but want to know if you think that the high, taste, yield or any other attribute a plant can have is "bette" than say a mid priced strain?

I have been at the mid price point for a while and see some strains I'd like to try at those higher price points and I ask myself is a $300/10 seed strain that much better than a 75/10 seed strain? Opinions?

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think in this world you get what you pay for, not always true but most of the time it works. Of course there are many cheap strains that are excellent, and some high priced seeds that suck. Seeds are always taking a chance, just get what you want and treat yourself. Read reviews and get something proven.

joeuser

Sometimes price matters...sometimes it doesn't. EVERY seed is pretty much a crap shoot some are exceptional, some not so. When it all comes down to it...in the end, when you've got an ounce or two of some beautiful cured bud...does another $10 per seed REALLY matter all that much? Who knows...you just may find your keeper!

Use the individual breeder forums and see who has the happiest customers.

C

Capital G

if, you really look you can find the exact same seeds or genetics for far less. some reasonably priced seed companies have superior genetics to the ones commanding higher prices. at the end of the day companies have the right to sell their product for whatever they like but, from my experience NO. i haven't had a bad experience with seeds expensive or not but, i will say that the more expensive seeds i have bought didn't make me higher or get a better response from others. in fact, the cheaper seeds fared much better imo and with others. what's important is quality genetics and exceptional selection.

MapleMonk

.... I ask myself is a $300/10 seed strain that much better than a 75/10 seed strain? Opinions?

in my opinion no ! for me it is more of a hype-thing if a 10 pack goes much over 100 $ ...but thats just me

Last edited:

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
None of the top quality strains are cheap. Not one. Jack Herrer, sensi star, Blueberry, - not a single one of the top 10 strains are cheap. All are 10$ a seed and more, so i pretty much agree with PUreknoWledge, you usually get what you pay for.

In my mind there are about a dozen very good strains and several thousand mediocre strains. You can sometimes find high quality in cheap seeds and kockoffs, but when you back a pack of Herrer or Sstar, theres no guessing about what you have.

People often ask me to recommend a strain and they always come back and say" god those are expensive". Yes. YOu said you wanted a "good" strain.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I don't really agree here... for example there are tons of super expensive strains, and all you get is hype but not according results, you just pay for marketing. Jack Herer and many others from Sensi for example, nowadays you just get pure crap compared on how it used to be, unstable results and even low germination rates. There are nice Jack Herer selections in tons of banks which are much more stable and better priced. DJ Short genetics by the way, you get pretty what you pay for though.

In the other hand, you have great seedbanks selling amazing strains in the 30-60€ range and also other great cheap seedbanks with lower prices and great strains too. Let's say for example Tom Hill, Cultivators Choice, ACE, Cannabiogen, Karma Genetics, Tropical Seeds, Mandala... all great seedbanks with moderated prices and I'm still waiting for people grower complaining about them...

It usually depends more on what you looking for... and specially on what you will give credit for. Are you looking for stability and real breeding work?? Original genetics?? Simple fast, potent and stable plants?? Are you looking for true connoisseur herb? Commercial hybrids?? So the criteria for the statement "the top priced strains are always priced" should be revised.

Peace.

I don't expect you to get a legit answer to this question. For every seed one person names off, another will tell you how bad they are. Also realize that strains get reworked by the breeders sometimes.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd like to try at those higher price points and I ask myself is a $300/10 seed strain that much better than a 75/10 seed strain? Opinions?

hell no....you can even buy good strains for low prices nowadays...most of them i get for free !
And not that mine are good but when i have a batch of seeds i' give'm away for free LOL....still got a few donation packs on Sbay for 25$ right now....

edit :just gotte go on reports you c onhere or else place thats a good way to make up your mind on genetics

I would also like to add that breeders selecting from large numbers is a good sign. Just look at the Kardashians. You got the big booty girl, the hot face, and the ugly as sin all from the same parents.

bobman

You should be able to find great stuff in the 100 dollar range. I can tell you I am done with old school strains breed in the dam or for that matter anything breed over there. The next seeds are a chem or og strain for me breed from the new generation.

It should be that way but imho it's not that easy, the rule doesn't seem to be true, at least for me. Maybe I have got bad luck, some kind of damn or something, perhaps I'm trying to do offroad in a ferrari but I've had horrible 100€ strains and great 20€ ones which made them even greater.

But that's just me...

seeyouaunty

Expensive packs of seeds are still cheap compared to buying an ounce of top shelf bud.
I've made the general assumption that expensive seeds are more likely to be F1's and cheap seeds are more likely to be F2 knockoffs. I prefer to pollenate plants grown from seed to make more seeds (10 seeds ain't enough!) and i feel i'll have better results with F1's rather than F2's.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
ime all seeds are a gamble. The $ you pay doesn't dictate the quality you get. Most of it is just hype....I've had low end cheapo seeds turn out far better then seeds from top breeders. I do believe that I have a better chance of fine genetics from a known breeder rather then a bagseed or from 'crappyweedseedsdotcom' but it's still a gamble.

mad librettist

Veteran
10$ a seed is too much!

don't get suckered into "inflation by association". seeds do not face nearly the same barriers to trade and the risk from trading seeds is minuscule compared to weed.

IMO mandala seeds is on to something - finding a way to be reasonable! I don complain about inflated seed prices. I vote with my feet, and go out of my way to support producers like Mandala.

does anyone really believe 300$ worth of seeds will get you more keepers if there are only 10?

how many keepers would you get if you spent 300$ on Mandala strains?

ijim

All seeds are not created equal. Even by the same mother and father. You can go through 1 or 100 packs of seeds to get the advertised phenotype. It is hit or miss. I prefer to grow to make good herb for personal consumption. All but the top colas are screened for hash. No one ever sees my girls so I don't need bragging rights. Color or bud density is low on my needs. If it makes you dance and cost $30 a pack. Those are for me.

Gert Lush

Veteran
Difficult question!

The thing is this: If a breeder is maintaining a genuine breeding facility, that is planting 1000s of plants to select from, and doing so scientifically, then $15 a seed is not too expensive. It will still be a crap shoot, but with much better odds. Think of stuff like MNS Neville's Haze, DJ Shorts Flo, etc, etc.

However, you can still get outstanding stuff at half that price, just as you can get moderate-mediocre stuff at $15 a seed. You have to do your homework, trawl the web for peoples' feedback and also go on your own hunches.

$30 a seed sounds like rip-off hype.

Latest posts

Latest posts