What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

clones wilting

whats up guys n gals. i took some clones today and they are wilting really bad. is this normal or did i screw something up. i cut the clone gently scraped the stem and dipped into clonex gel inserted them im rapid rooters that where moist but not soaking wet sprayed them with water and put them under the dome. ?????? help

Japanfreakier

Veteran
They do that right after you cut them, nothing to worry about. If they are still wilting tomorrow then there's something to worry about.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Assuming your rooters aren't too dry, it's probably too much mist on the cuttings. I don't have good luck with misted cuttings, I just mist the dome. IME, cuttings seem to respond to misting better after roots develop.

Again, assuming the rooters aren't too dry, I'd leave the dome off long enough to dry the leaves a bit and/or enough to prop up the stems if they're wilted too. It's a pain in the ass but I save droopers with a little extra care and they usually turn out fine.

intotheunknown

Veteran
put them under the dome. it will work wonders. spray the dome with water and put it on, you only will need to spray the plants with water just after you put the cuttings in the RRs. other than that only spray the dome.
always be keeping the humidity really high until they root. the key is humidity, temperature( 72-75 degrees is ideal), and how moist the plug is (not too wet, not too dry.)

thanks guys. this is my first attempt at cloning and i was a little discouraged when i saw them wilting. i dont think the rooters are too wet or too dry but i could be wrong. thanks again for the advice. i guess i'll see how they look tomorrow. peace

M

madback

make sure the dome that you have is sealed, all the way around...

I've seen many times before that the tray isn't the right fit for the dome part... if it isn't a snug fit you could use painters tape or masking tape to make a tight seal... just make sure they get some fresh air at least once a day..

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
15% RH is sufficient for rooting. The need for a dome is a clear indication something is wrong. Most likely your cuts are too large and their leaves untrimmed. Supporting plant material requires transpiration which requires roots and... d'oh! We don't have any roots! Keeping cuts small with well trimmed leaves reduces the stress on the cuts and removes the need for domes and their lethal levels of RH.

pics coming in a few minutes discobiscuit. they look really shitty. freezerboy i think thats where i messed up i forgot to trim the leaves(what a dumbass).

i think i'm going to have to toss these and try again. i trimmed the leaves but i'm sure its too late. this is embarrassing but here are the pics. i hope this helps newbs by showing what not to do.

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 17

blazin

they dont seem to be wilted fully by the looks of your picture.......
This is what I do....when taking cuttings.

I do the same as you explained but I also, take a razor and cut at 45 degree angle and tap the stem for air bubbles.

Once I take one cut I place under dome, and do the same with the rest.
This is done utilizing rockwool.

I also utilized the 60 site ez cloner and it works with out a dome bc of the constant water spraying.

hope it recovers for ya....

thanks blazin i hope they recover too. i was scared of air bubbles. i also forgot to re-cut the stems under water to prevent air bubbles. i guess i got a lil excited for my first cloning attempt and rushed things(what a newb)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Those look better than I imagined. If you can break bad like FB and do it topless, more power to you. I happen to need the dome for soil mix, can't imagine doing without it.

V1AAA

put them under the dome. it will work wonders. spray the dome with water and put it on, you only will need to spray the plants with water just after you put the cuttings in the RRs. other than that only spray the dome.
always be keeping the humidity really high until they root. the key is humidity, temperature( 72-75 degrees is ideal), and how moist the plug is (not too wet, not too dry.)

where do you measure your temp's? inside the dome, on top on on the side?

with regards to trimmin the fan leaves, i have the same results if i trim the leaves or leave them untuched

correct me if im wrong, but cant i see roots out of the rr? the clone actually looks too dry to me. not 100% though, as the pic is crap, and my pc screen is on its last legs