What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

topping autoflower strains? Yay or Nay?

Bluematic1

Does anyone lst their auto flowers? Read some great things about lst with auto
YEAH! I have 10 auto's all LST, scrog and now with 150 tops coming from 10 plants. They were the scroggin time in veg about 3weeks and i took then off and moved to the bloom room.

Bluematic1

BM & NL

BM & NL

LST SCROG AUTOFLOWER :tiphat:

1 plant i have does have 20 tops coming, all same size and on the same level getting as much light as the others.

doob

I have LST, Super cropped and topped them as tests. All fine. I also remove leaves every other day if I have to, again they are fine, monster yielding green plants... When I done a test, I LST 2, Supercrop 1, topped 1, the topped plant yielded the most, could of been pheno, but it wont hurt doing any of these techniques if done correctly and early enough...

doob

Any sweet seeds auto can be topped 100%, done loads, but only ever grown theirs as I rate them

Magrini

I did top a diesel ryder once. It came out to be more productive than the other two DR I grew. But that might be a coincidence.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Huge thread on 420mag site(96 pages) on topping autos. Strain dependant I'd say.
Some huge hauls in there. YMMV.
^^^^ genetics ^^^^^
Strain dependent. Super autos, yes can be done 3rd-4th node.....prefer to LST. <~~~Less stress.
However, on 420 mag....it's concurrence, NAY to topping.

Topping auto-flowering cannabis strains is often not recommended because they're on a tight schedule and may not recover in time...

So if you want to train your plants but don’t want to do a lot of work then you can FIM or TOP them but keep in mind that any stress can result in a smaller yield!

Mixed bag of opinions/results out there on the forums, yet most (majority) say, NO!

Bottom line: large container for ample root growth, less water, less nutrients = great finish!

master kusher

after seeing how easy it is to lst (just buy a plastic pot and fishing string and tie the branches to the top of the pot after poking a small hole here and there) I'd rather do that to get other main colas than top even though I still top some of my autos.

master kusher

IMHO it varies some autos respond well to topping, some start to flower and will never reach their full potential, and some flower before I ever even think of topping them. One thing I do know is They hate one gallon pots, and will grow a lot bigger in a 2 gallon. (imo)

Jhhnn

Veteran
IMHO it varies some autos respond well to topping, some start to flower and will never reach their full potential, and some flower before I ever even think of topping them. One thing I do know is They hate one gallon pots, and will grow a lot bigger in a 2 gallon. (imo)

Autoflowers do extremely well in 3 gal pots of good organic soil. In really good soil they'll go seed to harvest on water alone. For people having normal height growing spaces there's really no reason to top 'em. I've grown 'em 3 times & even the lankiest topped out at ~3ft tall.

Jumbo roots equals jumbo plants. With autos you can't stretch their veg out to get bigger roots, you just need to set em up right then let them go. They'll start to flower early if they get root bound, so my fastest plants have been in Solo cups or seedling pots from the nursery. Keeps em small and speeds em up for indoor purposes.

If you had them in autopots with hydro nutes you could top most strains pretty well because the roots are going HAM and the plant will put out a ton of vegetation regardless. Tiny pots and organic blends you need to let the plant do it's own thing more or less, so topping is out.

But again, you can get the sameish results in terms of keeping them small by keeping them root bound.

All this misinformation.I top the shit out of autos.Personally despise autos but i ran some in DWC topped at the 6th node and filled in a 4x5 scrog in 30 days flat.I personally think its the perfect plant to top.the flowering at such an early stage causes a good stretch early If you put enough plants under a scrog they will fill it in quick providing your a good grower and know what your doing.topping mine has no result in slowing them down whatsoever.All your doing is missing that big ass cola that runs up to the light and keepsyou from being able to put an even light source over them.Top all day.
Heres an auto screen i filled in 30 days from sprout.

a week old 2/11/17
picture.php

3/10/2017

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts