What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone in the cannabis community know why

CaptainDankness

So what about this direct quote from Anslinger, the head of the FBI and the guy who literally started the war on pot:

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."
“Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

Suuuuure, no racism involved AT ALL

Well him saying "it makes white woman seek sexual relations with negroes" implys that white woman toke up too. Lol

Seems like he was trying to demonize marijuana the best he could. Just so happens the public was pretty racist back then.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Research William Randolph Hearst's lumber interests and remember Dupont's new miracle fiber nylon (that doesn't hold a candle to hemp), was brand new.

Follow the money.

Oil wasn't nearly as threatened as pulp, fiber, or plastic industries.

Though a few years later big oil would be silencing solar.

Klompen

Well him saying "it makes white woman seek sexual relations with negroes" implys that white woman toke up too. Lol

Seems like he was trying to demonize marijuana the best he could. Just so happens the public was pretty racist back then.

Every time the establishment banned a major drug type it was because of fears of race mixing. Sexist white men believed that drugs were being used to lure white women. In the height of absurdity, Hearst's papers published crazy stories saying things like "marijuana slows the negro's perception of time, allowing them to squeeze more notes into their music. These "grace notes" are used to lure white women into their reefer dens, where marijuana is used to deprive them of their better judgement so the negroes can take advantage of them". There were many variations of this line, and this line was used for many other types of drugs too. Opium was banned using similar logic. The belief was that opium lured white women into "race mixing".

So yes, white America was more racist back then than they even are now, but it did not help that major media was publishing horrible lies about minorities to demonize them.

Safe Gardener

Thank you all for your responses. I'm not sure what I was looking to see because there is no "right" answer here, but I think many of the responses are all related to the why question.

Funny thing that came up in the responses is the Henry Ford info (none of which was I aware of, so thank you for that). It's funny because I am a car guy and my preference is for Ford's of past.

So, thanks again and keep the info and thoughts flowing.

The enforcement of MJ laws have unequally effected minorities. Minorities use MJ at a roughly equal rate as white people but a large majority (by percent of users) of arrests and incarcerations are minorites.

Many factors involved; affuence is a big one (the ability to afford better lawyers) but the result is the war on drugs has disproportionately harmed minorities. Call it racist if you like. But these are well documented facts.

I usually disagree when the term racist is used. But in this case i agree. MJ enforcement has harmed minorities more.

Whats more: presenting this fact will likely what gets the laws changed. Politicians love to be able to tout changes made to remove racist practices.

I do disagree that racism is what started prohibition in the first place. Racism was used to stoke public fear. Money is what started prohibition. Somebody once said money is the root of all evil. Follow the money.

White Beard

Research William Randolph Hearst's lumber interests and remember Dupont's new miracle fiber nylon (that doesn't hold a candle to hemp), was brand new.

Follow the money.

Oil wasn't nearly as threatened as pulp, fiber, or plastic industries.

Though a few years later big oil would be silencing solar.

Or just read Jack Herer...it’s all in there.

https://jackherer.com/emperor-3/chapter-1/

White Beard

Because the emperor HAS no clothes...

Because the emperor HAS no clothes...

The enforcement of MJ laws have unequally effected minorities. Minorities use MJ at a roughly equal rate as white people but a large majority (by percent of users) of arrests and incarcerations are minorites.

Many factors involved; affuence is a big one (the ability to afford better lawyers) but the result is the war on drugs has disproportionately harmed minorities. Call it racist if you like. But these are well documented facts.

I usually disagree when the term racist is used. But in this case i agree. MJ enforcement has harmed minorities more.

Whats more: presenting this fact will likely what gets the laws changed. Politicians love to be able to tout changes made to remove racist practices.

I do disagree that racism is what started prohibition in the first place. Racism was used to stoke public fear. Money is what started prohibition. Somebody once said money is the root of all evil. Follow the money.
Agree wholeheartedly. It was a smart if sleazy ploy to paint a picture of drug-maddened savages ravishing the befuddled white woman, and it worked, where protecting DuPont and Hearst’s lumber and paper interests was a tougher sell to the guy on the street.

Over time, it morphed into an important piece of the school-to-prison pipeline, which marginalizes young blacks even further by rendering them even more unemployable than young blacks already are, deprives them of their voting rights in many states, and otherwise reminds them they’re expendable a few dozen times every day.

shithawk420

Veteran
Ford built a car, completely out of hemp, and he and the car were in photographs in encyclopedias about him, hemp, and cars, for decades.

Then why don't we drive hemp cars then? Oh yeah,it's more money to manufacture crude oil engines.you wanna see how dirty the auto industry is watch Tucker with Kevin Costner.they don't care about you and never will.evil bastards

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Then why don't we drive hemp cars then? Oh yeah,it's more money to manufacture crude oil engines.you wanna see how dirty the auto industry is watch Tucker with Kevin Costner.they don't care about you and never will.evil bastards

Tis the reason we don't have 100mpg cars as well.

The oil Barons purchase any fuel saving technology and keep it hidden.

shithawk420

Veteran
Oh sorry.it was Jeff Bridge's in Tucker.good movie though.you know the government wants to kill you when they say your cars too safe to be on the road.cause that's exactly what they did

Yamaha FG-840

Whenever you sober up and want to talk rationally the facts are still going to exist that Ford built a car out of hemp and lobbied for it's use in industry for a long time.

This isn't about a movie called Tucker it's about why pot remains illegal. It is illegal because the political party that made it illegal is never going to admit they did it, and that when they did, they suggested the entire U.S. get on those ''progressive new drugs'' called opioids.

Now that everyone despises anyone who'll even try to bark pot's like heroin, the party that made the sh*** illegal will be damned if they'll make it legal and face the shame of 80 years' racist, scienct blighting maggotry.

Yamaha FG-840

The government gave him lung cancer and pneumonia? Uhm, nO.

In the early 1950s, Tucker teamed up with investors from Brazil and auto designer Alexis de Sakhnoffsky to build a sports car called the Carioca.[11] Tucker could not use the Tucker name for the car, as Peter Dun, of Dun and Bradstreet, had purchased the rights to the name. The Tucker Carioca was never developed.

"Preston Tucker's travels to Brazil were plagued by fatigue and, upon his return to the United States, he was diagnosed with lung cancer.

Tucker died from pneumonia as a complication of lung cancer on December 26, 1956, at the age of 53.

Tucker is buried at Michigan Memorial Park in Flat Rock, Michigan.

Latest posts

Latest posts