What's new

Synth to Organic switch over talk and pics

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, so... I'm fully on board with the organic indoor revolution nowadays. I started my growing career with organics, but back then most of the cannabis world had no idea what made organics work indoors... something about Earth Juice and uneven weight/quality results, but that was about it. I've tried many organic variants over the years, from full crops done with nothing more than coco coir top-fed with a single 12-12-10 guano and nothing more (hit or miss results there for sure, but surprisingly effective). Without doing microbe teas, at the time, however, this method was very unpredictable. I've done straight up bottled organic nutes with and without pHing, I've done organic soils where you attempt to get the full cycle done without feeding the soil, etc, etc, etc.

Then... Rezdog showed me what he was doing with Gen Hydro Flora (Lucas formula). At that time I was fully frustrated with the wishy washy, uneven results and often harsh smoke the "organics" were producing, so I switched over the GH. Also at that time, we had moved to Maine and were locked into a need to produce dependably, no room for fucking around. So, the GH fit the bill perfectly for that purpose. I knew GH bud had a tendency to smell like weed mixed with hot, linty laundry, but I was determined to get those smells back in line somehow. I never did achieve that. So, I moved from one "dependable" synthetic nutrient in a bottle to the next, looking for ease of use, yields, and high quality herb. Believe it or not, I eventually settled on FoxFarm nutes. FoxFarm was easily available at my local farm supply store, could sit in my reservoir without a bubbler for many days without getting slimy or stinky, did a great job at delivering most of what the plants needed, and COULD produce decent bud. However, like so many other synths, it was hard to truly flush from the system.

So what we have in this thread is an interesting little study, an opportunity to see and learn about (if you've not undergone any such switch over yourselves) what it takes to switch over to fully organic, but without skipping a beat where production is concerned. I'm not in a position to switch over all of a sudden, I gotta go gradual on this switch.

Here's what's going on in this room right now... Firstly, excuse the shape of the room, it is in the middle of being expanded, the room is under construction. :)

These plants are the very first to step into the world of pure organics, however, since the medium is NOT soil, but straight up ProMix, we can't call this the final step. These ladies were vegged with FoxFarm nutes, mostly synths, but were switched to TONS of Earth Juice (with 24 hr bubbling) and microbe teas EVERY watering until recently. I knew that the veritable DESERT of life in the dead medium (not true soil) needed to be crammed with microbe infusions to bring some sort of living structure to it. Most of the Earth Juice particulate simply settled onto the surface of the soil and wasn't getting into the medium, which caused a thick mat of roots to form there. This thick mat severely slowed the ability for water to get into the soil. You have to fill it to the rim and wait a few minutes before you can give it another fill to the rim. SLOW. But I expected this during the switch, and it's working as well as can be expected.

At this point I am not feeding any more Earth Juice, just molasses to keep the microbe herd kicking happily and eating up the rest of the Earth Juice laying on the surface of the medium. They should be able to finish up and go nice and evenly yellow by harvest.

By the way... the ultimate plan here is to be 100% organic. The next crop will be in a rich soil, a soil built with re-use in mind. I'm amending the next batch of soil quite heavily with rice hulls and volcanic rock, eliminating any perlite in the future. Also, NO BOTTLED NUTES EVER AGAIN! What a scam bottled nutes are. I never really thought about the facts involved until I watched a video by John Kohler of Growing Your Greens channel on YouTube. His buddy was a guest on the video, the guest was the guy who started and runs the Boogie Brew company. This dude went off on a really impassioned rant about how most of what you're spending money on with bottled nutes is...... WATER. And the amount of waste plastic and damage to the earth just by having to ship this damn water all around was ludicrous. If you look at a bottle of liquid nutes, what you're holding is a few cents worth of actual dry nutrient, water, and a hell of a heavy and expensive thing to have to ship. Take the bottle and the water out of the picture and what do you have??? Yep, a tiny bit of dry material that can be bought in massive amounts that could last you years and cost you a tiny, tiny fraction of what it costs in a bottle. I can add my own damn water! hehehe So, that's a major new point of consciousness I'm owning these days. The days of bottled nutes are coming to a close for me.

Basically, the plan for my organic setup is this: good, recyclable and re-amendable soil, lots of microbe teas, top feeding from time to time, nitrogen-fixing cover crops, that's pretty much it. Now if I can only download everything about the soil food web out of MicrobeMan's head all at once! That would be sweet. :) I'll have to do it the old fashioned way, read and learn.

As you might see in these pictures... the plants are looking pretty happy right now. I could hardly ask for more from these relatively small pots (maybe 3 or 4 gallon pots). The plant to pot size ration is quite nice. This is pretty much right on par with what I get with all my other methods, synth or hybrid synth/organic. Ultimately, success in the size department is determined by how much you know, how in love you are with being a grower nerd, and how dedicated you are to just staring at the plants and getting messages from them telling you what they want, then executing their orders. However, I'm looking for the best of the best of the best indoor cannabis possible. In this market your herbs have to stand out. People need to smoke your herb and then not be able to get it out of their heads all day, until they can satiate the urge to smoke more and more of it, and ignore the other weeds out there. That's the only way to stay competitive in the current bonanza. Your goat needs to be golden, so it stands out in a sea of white goats.

So, after these girls come out, the room will be filled with true organics. Stay gooned for more...

The first set of pics are the Chemdog D. If you're wondering if it's the real Chem D, why yes it is! Chemdog himself handed it me on a rooftop in Manhattan years ago. Hard to get better provenance than that, eh? hehehe

Attachments

• ChemD-whole-3.jpg
    ChemD-whole-3.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 21
  • ChemD-bud-0.jpg
    ChemD-bud-0.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 25
  • ChemD-whole-1.jpg
    ChemD-whole-1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 21
  • ChemD-whole-2.jpg
    ChemD-whole-2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 26

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some Gorilla Glue #4

Some Gorilla Glue #4

I'd like some folks who run the GG#4, bonafide original cut to chime in here and tell me if this looks like the GG4 they know. It smells like a muted Haze mostly.

The huge plant in the pic drinks so much that I have to keep her in her own tray, so I can give her water from the top, but then also give her a little in the tray to stave her over until the next day. She's a monstah, again, fed ONLY Earth Juice and various types of teas, into a soiless medium.

Attachments

• GG-center-monster-1.jpg
    GG-center-monster-1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 25
  • GG4-bud-top-2.jpg
    GG4-bud-top-2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 25
  • GG4-bud-top-1.jpg
    GG4-bud-top-1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 30

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Legend OG Kush

Legend OG Kush

This cut was sourced from breeder (not just plants, he'd have us all know), Tom Hill, at his secluded place on the mountain. :) What a character that guy is! :)

The Legend is straight up business... no playing around. KUSH KUSH KUSH. Not citrussy like the SFV (Which I miss nowadays) but just straight up Kushy dank. Apparently LOG didn't take to the switch from synth to organics too well, telling by the little burnt leaf tips there. She recovered nicely, though and is now kicking ass and taking names. This crop was vegged with FoxFarm nutes, but flower ONLY with Earth Juice and fired up with microbe teas. All flowers in this thread were grown while being fed organically.

Attachments

• LOG-final-stretch.jpg
    LOG-final-stretch.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 13

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some organic, single origin, small farm Bolivian

Some organic, single origin, small farm Bolivian

Another passion of mine... Killer, fresh coffee. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 16

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Organic Bolivian grown by Lorenzo Hilari. Cooling off in the Sonofresco roaster. :) Oy vay it is soo good. In the bag it smells like a flavored coffee, but it is just how it naturally smells. I would NEVER drink or sell flavored coffees! Yuk. This is for an online customer, always roasted and shipped on the same day for insane freshness. Important.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 16

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Love your new thread Crazy Composer, I'll be following as I am interested in all things organic, and agree with you on all points.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to see you posting, CC. :)

Starting off as a hydro grower in the 80's just got me into that 'bottle paradigm' mindset, so when I switched to organics, it was with Earth Juice.
After a foray into coco, I'm back to organics, but now I'm a soil builder.
Been keeping a worm bin for many yrs. now and brewing ACT EWC tea these last few yrs as well.
This is how I need to grow now, to be involved in what I feed my plants. I forage for seaweed, have a local source for organic manure, make my own biochar. Early spring I picked a bucket of dandelions and soaked that for two weeks, covered, stirring daily.
There's just so many ways to feed your plants w/o spending any $.
Well, ok, I do buy molasses. :D

Ollie

Veteran
Organic is where its at imvho ..

Like Your way of writing, super interesting and great pictures too.

Looking forward to see future postings,

Blessings

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's where I'm headed, Highlighter. Nice seeing old faces around.

Thanks, guys. Trying to get to this here PC much more often.

So... to update the switch from chemical ferts over to organics... Here are a few shots of the Chem D, getting close to stop feeding time. You can see some leaves with a little leaf tip burn, which is either from the enzymatic action in the now (somewhat) alive medium, or from the heavy initial use of 24 hr bubbled Earth Juice. The enzyme action probably made old, locked up chem nutes available to the plant again, causing that bit of burn. I'm cool with it, though, because this is only a stepping stone situation here. The real organic show is beginning very soon!

So, this is what I'm noticing about this switch... the plants want to yellow up any time I skip a feeding of light tea. Which should mean a highly effective flushing period will follow. I know "flushing" is a bad word with some people, but when you can come up with a better word for trying to slow the uptake of nutrients in organic plants, please share that word. It's all meant to say "get em to yellow up a bit due to a slow, gradual lessening of available nutrients", innit?

Anyhow, I'm thinking that because the only truly organic medium in these containers is right in the top layer of the medium where the organic materials are being worked on by the microbes, that it should not be too difficult to starve them out. The only thing is, I don't want them to crash due to a sudden lack of food, so I'll have to tend to exactly how quickly they lose their green. Too fast will mean they will have to get a little bit of weak tea before the full-on starve sets in. We'll see.

Fungus gnats!!! I was starting to get nailed pretty bad by the little fuckers, but I mixed in a bunch of DE (diatomaceous earth) into the surface soil and waited. It seems to have worked well! A significant reduction of gnats is absolutely discernible. The DE basically makes the soil VERY unfriendly for the gnat larvae and hatchlings. Cuts em up like a small room full of knife-wielding Whirling Dervishes on ether. Must be an ugly sight to see up close! hehehe

Had a single spot of PM (powdery mildew), sprayed the whole crop with tea. That seems to really kick ass on PM, and even provides serious protection on the surface of the plant for some time after the spraying. Could PM finally be a thing of the past? we'll see...

I've also been fighting a mite invasion lately. Nothing serious, but what a pain in the ass it is to KEEP it at the "nothing serious" level, eh? bastards. I read great things about a product called Liquid Ladybug... so I just got some. I love spraying something that I don't mind getting on my bare hands, ya know? It feels right, sustainable, clean. It's basically peppermint oil and Geraniol. The Geraniol is just another plant extract, also used in some natural bug repellents. Will the Liquid Ladybug work? Again, we'll see. I couldn't find any signs of mites just before I sprayed, I looked pretty damn good, too, but you know how the Borg is... So I really nuked the 2 plants I've seen them on recently, then sprayed the plants in the vicinity pretty well, also.

My yield is looking pretty poor, relatively. I'm used to seeing much more heft by this point, but the trade off for quality was simply not worth it. My future tinkering will all have to do with mastering the best tasting weed on Earth AS WELL as yielding like an Apple stock in 2007. ;)

I just noticed that bamboo stake, covered in resins from previous grows. hehehe

I'm still not remembering how to get my pictures to show up really nice and hi-res on this site... I wonder what I can do aboot that... Maybe a resizing issue?
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's what I hoped a topic like this would do, provide unusual insight into a particular situation growers might find themselves in. :)

Slipnot

Awesome ...... organic and chem actual real farmer here, Have dedicated 10 acres organic just about ready to transplants 500 plants into ground water only. Just finished installing the SDI system used copper line to protect drip line. air raided water supply

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I been saying all along earth juice rules....many many years...yeehaw.. I love the bloom ,meta k and micro blast the most..i do not use grow ever...

gorilla ganja

Looks like a very interesting thread. I like your way of writing and explaining as you make the switch.
Subbed for what is going to be a good lesson.
Thanks for sharing.
Best of luck with the switch to TLO and may all your Buds taste the best.

Peace GG

Kozmo

Veteran
Interesting perspective indeed. Thank you for bringing together this info along with all these good people. Curious about your tea recipes. Just wondering the ingredients your using. Anything other then compost, EWC, kelp, alfalfa, or molasses?

Much respect

Kozmo

Latest posts

Latest posts