What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best window banger for sealed room?

headees

Buddys running a sealed room and is looking for the best window unit to fit the bill. About 10k BTU. He cant afford a mini split, so that is out of the question. I know a lot of window units allow for some air exchange, but I was hoping someone knew of a good unit that will keep things sealed.

Thanks

R

rick shaw

A $99 'window banger' is going to put out as much heat,if not more,then the amount of cool air it will produce.
An upright standalone air conditioners will run for $300-600.

headees

From what Ive read portable ac's are inefficient, and dont last a long time. Basically bad value for the cash. Seems like window units are the way to go unless you can get a split.

mg75

grow in the winter. save your money. get a mini-split.
if you wanna pimp it out... get a thermoplus watercooled AC.

headees

No pimping out at the moment, although it would be sweet. Going for just a decent window unit that will keep the sealed room as sealed as possible with a window AC.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Window AC's work fine, you just have to seal it tight in the window. You can get your basic 5k BTU unit for around $100. Depending on the heat you may want to get something larger.

-Funk

Str8Dank

just get the cheapest one you can. build a box on the back or put it in the window. you would have to run your lights on during daylight if it's in a window and light leaks are a concern because you can see the light shining through on many of the window shakers. i have two of them running right now with boxes on them and they are different brands and leak light.

Orygun

I've got a 2 ton lg window banger that doesn't leak any light. but it did break after a year of solid use which I suppose isn't really that bad. Any way I guess my point was not all window units leak light.

R

RedRain

Buddys running a sealed room and is looking for the best window unit to fit the bill. About 10k BTU. He cant afford a mini split, so that is out of the question. I know a lot of window units allow for some air exchange, but I was hoping someone knew of a good unit that will keep things sealed.

Thanks

lol a window banger will not make a sealed room if you have it hanging in your window. your best bet is to make a fake wall and scrub/vent the hot air outside.

or

water cooling, air to air split, mini split

headees

I guess I should have been more clear. Im building an AC box and just the manifold will be inside the grow room, the back of the AC box will hang into the adjacent room(not outside), with the heat being exhausted into the ceiling or crawl space. I figured building an AC box will take care of light leaks, no? Im just worried it will leak, smell/co2 but I guess that is inevitable with all window units. I was just hoping someone could recommend a specific unit that will not leak.
Cant afford a split or water cooled right now, this is a temporary project anyway, not sure how long it will last.

DevilWeed

If light leaks through the AC are a concern, go with an LG. They have a thick plastic shield in between the condensor and evap areas. Frigidaires have foam...it basically glows when the sun hits it from outside.

You can most certainly put a window AC in and run a sealed room. Not sure why people think otherwise. Take apart the AC, seal it up good and make sure the vent (if it has one) is closed. Voila! :D

I just finished an AC box for a 14k and it works great. 2 HO 6" fans, with the one bringing air in slightly more powerful than the one going out. Tiny bit of positive pressure in the condensor area keep any stink from getting into the exhaust.

i have a 25000btu window with 4 thous the room is on point the rest of the house is a sauna hahahaha good thing i dont live there yes 25k btu is overkill i know but it only runs 4 times an hour and it is 80 outside. make sure if u build a fake wall that there is no electrical panels in the vent room will get veryu hot learned this the hard way ahahaa

SMOKE-ONE

just get the cheapest one you can. build a box on the back or put it in the window. you would have to run your lights on during daylight if it's in a window and light leaks are a concern because you can see the light shining through on many of the window shakers. i have two of them running right now with boxes on them and they are different brands and leak light.
Why would you have to run the lights at night?

I know this is a little off topic,but do anybody know who makes the most energy efficient "mini split" ac?

G

Guest 18340

Why would you have to run the lights at night?
I know this is a little off topic,but do anybody know who makes the most energy efficient "mini split" ac?
Some people run at night because the temps are lower outside, making it easier to cool a room.
Mitsubishi and Fujitsu both have models that are the highest seer rating I've seen thus far.
Look Here;http://www.goductless.com/Mitsubishi-Mr-Slim-mitsubishi-air-conditioner-p/11223.htm
And here;
http://www.goductless.com/Fujitsu-Halcyon-Ductless-Mini-Split-Heat-Pumps-p/11286.htm
Imho, Mitsubishi's are the best in the industry. They also have the longest warranty...

headees

If light leaks through the AC are a concern, go with an LG. They have a thick plastic shield in between the condensor and evap areas. Frigidaires have foam...it basically glows when the sun hits it from outside.

You can most certainly put a window AC in and run a sealed room. Not sure why people think otherwise. Take apart the AC, seal it up good and make sure the vent (if it has one) is closed. Voila! :D

I just finished an AC box for a 14k and it works great. 2 HO 6" fans, with the one bringing air in slightly more powerful than the one going out. Tiny bit of positive pressure in the condensor area keep any stink from getting into the exhaust.

Great man, that is exactly what Im going for. Im going to shoot you a pm in a day or two if you dont mind.

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I've had great luck with the $99 5500btu cheapos from HD/Lowes/Wallmart.

I run 2, so if one kicks the bucket I'm covered for a day or two until a replacement can be installed. Thats what I like about Window units, no waiting for parts...just slam a new one in.

They are not completely light tight out of the box, but can easily be made to be.

Marshall

I have used LG's in various ops and never had problems. They were all 24/25 BTU cooling only.

No light leaks

No odor leaks

Turn on after power outage.

Light leaks is easy enough to judge. Odor. I have my current unit in the room with a box exhausting hot air into the crawl space. When in the crawl space I can not smell anything. I use my Sentinel CHHC-1 to control my AC units with a contactor

Latest posts

Latest posts