What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watching the watchers: Game cameras anyone??

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Last winter there was alot of talk in a off topic thread about using Game cameras for monitoring plots.

For those who don't know what a "Game camera" or "Trail camera" is, basicly it is a weatherproof unit that contains a camera(usually digital these days), and a infra-red eye that senses movement withen a specified distance, and takes a picture.

The primary use for one of these is usually for Deer hunters who post them along trails or near watering holes to monitor what deer are hanging out in the area. A good secondary use is for "watching the watchers", that being getting a idea if people have been in your plot, or on the trail or road near the plot, or for seeing if its a deer that has been munching your plants.

Many models allow you to turn off the flash, so subjects won't know what happend, also most will stamp a date and a time on the picture.

The police use units like this to investigate plots themselves, you may actually be able to watch them setting up one of their own! LOL!!

I actually wante to get one of these last year, but I couldn't splurge on one, but I think this year I'd like to try one out, just for shits and giggles I guess.

Here is a link to Walmarts page- Wal-marts game cameras

Cabelas- Cables game cameras

Bass pro shops-Bass pro shops game cameras

Anyone here use these? Either for plot security or for hunting/nature watching?

Last edited:

gunnaknow

That's a pretty good idea, Backcountry. You'd want one of these as well, so that you could view the pics remotely and know whether it's safe to visit the plot or not.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6023332

How close does the moving object need to be to trigger the device? One problem I can see arising is if it's a windy day and the trees and bushes start to sway.

Last edited:
G

Hello BACKCOUNTRY,

I went with a buddy to scout his hunting site a few years ago and first saw one of these. My first though was that this thing could be dangerous for a pot farmer. I didn't consider there might be a positive use. That may actually work.

I had a sight that was discovered by some people who watched me water and care all summer to grab my harvest. I had clues but hope and optimism bit me again. This camera would have saved me a great deal of work.

Ive placed branches across paths and everything but you cant remember after 2 or 3 weeks. I wonder if this thing "clicks" and would cause someone walking by to notice it where they otherwise wouldn't. I wonder if they could trace the purchase or that signal back to the grower?

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
I too think these would be a good item to keep a patch under surveillance, and would love to buy one. They are just a little too pricey for me ATM (the infrared digicam ones). The normal flash ones are quite a bit cheaper, but would tip off the ripper if they came in at night, which is the norm.

If you invest in one, make sure it's well hidden & camoed, or the ripper will steal your crop and your camera. I know the tree mounts are made of metal, but a khuk or machete can chop down a pretty big tree with a bit of time. Then they'd just slip the unit off the stump and take it home along w/ your buds...Edit: or just whack it with the spine of the blade and break it...

Also some night vision units can see the infrared beam/flash used to illuminate the subject. They do use IR illuminators after all. But then again the price of a good NV is quite high, so most rippers won't have em. But some might, and cops probably will have em. I live in a small town/city, & our municipal force has gen3 headmounted units.

Cams are a good tool, but there is a chance it could be stolen as well. The good thing about 'em is that if you catch a ripper in your plot with one, you could post them up online for all growers who have 'net in their area to see...

Hehe a thread titled "Rippers Identified"...how sweet, it'd look good on em. Nothing worse than almost every grower in the area knowing you're a ripper, if you're a ripper.

Nothing better if you're an honest grower. :rasta:

(I say "honest grower" 'cuz a lot of rippers (here at least) are unethical/greedy growers. If they find your patch while scouting etc., they'll dig 'em up & move 'em. Very common around these parts...)

Peace

Last edited:

gunnaknow

silverback said:
I wonder if they could trace the purchase or that signal back to the grower?

If you paid in cash, they couldn't trace you, Silver. Then, only switch the remote viewing device on when you're away from your house, so that there is no chance of them tracing it to your house. Switch it off before you get anywhere near your house.

Last edited:

gunnaknow

MoeBudz^420 said:
Cams are a good tool, but there is a chance it could be stolen as well. The good thing about 'em is that if you catch a ripper in your plot with one, you could post them up online for all growers who have 'net in their area to see...

Hehe a thread titled "Rippers Identified"...how sweet, it'd look good on em. Nothing worse than almost every grower in the area knowing you're a ripper, if you're a ripper.

Peace

Hehehe, I like that idea. "Rippers Named And Shamed". If your cam was stolen, or conviscated by the police atleast you'd know in advance that it wasn't safe to visit the plot. It's better to lose a couple hundred bucks than it is to get caught. Infact, I'd pay $200 to be tipped off when a plot was unsafe to visit, so a cam is a good investement on that basis alone, regardless of whether it's stolen or not.

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
gunnaknow
Correct me here if I made a mistake but the device (remote viewer) has to be attached to the field camera before you can view the pictures. I do not believe you can view them via a RF , microwave or other type of wireless transmission. That would be the cat’s pajamas if you could.

MFH-VWR digital picture viewer
Price: $54.99 Qty. Add to Order View larger image Moultrie's handheld Digital Picture Viewer connects directly to your digital game camera allowing you to view images in the field.

Handheld digital picture viewer
Connects directly to digital game camera
Large 2-inch screen
Compatible with most cameras' TV out port
Weather-resistant case
SD Card storage compartment holds up to three SD Cards (SD Cards not included)
Operates on 4 AA batteries (not included)

G

Guyute54

It is possoble it could back fire on you. odds are it will take pics of you aswell visiting your plots. Now if the cops find your spot and happen to find the camera also you just handed them the best evidence they could get. They do have some advatages but to me the evidence you could give away isn't worth it.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you decide to get one, make sure not to get one with a flash. It immediately gives away where they are. I had a friend that had two stolen last year.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Guyute54 said:
It is possoble it could back fire on you. odds are it will take pics of you aswell visiting your plots. Now if the cops find your spot and happen to find the camera also you just handed them the best evidence they could get. They do have some advatages but to me the evidence you could give away isn't worth it.
How about turning it off while you visit, I'm sure you'd want to view its content before tending your crop anyways, then just leave it "off" until you are leaving.

I usually wear a mask of some kind anyways.....

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Many models allow you to turn off the flash, so subjects won't know what happend.......
I definately agree with you JJscorpio! A flash would be a absolute no-no.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing to consider when figuring where to place it(the camera), is to consider using it to monitor traffic on the trails or roads nearby rather than at the plot.

If, for example, your plot only has one road that comes anywhere near it, only one way anyone would access the area of you plot, you could place the camera on this road to monitor motorized traffic along it, especially in conjunction with one at the plot.

The upside is that the cops would never find the camera along the road if placed right, they may find the one placed at the plot, and concievably they might erase the record of their being their(there are ways I'm sure to tell if the camera has been tampered with though).
The downside is that law enforcement may arrive in unmarked vehicles in plain clothes, its hard to tell.

If your plot is placed so that you know foot traffice would go along a certain trail, I think it would be easier to use this camera to its full potential.

Last edited:
G

Ihadn't though of that but you''r e right, the camera wouldnt have to be anywhere near the plants or associated with them in any way.
The traffic can be watched. That would work on every site i grow in except for one. good thinking

You don't have to worry much about unmarked cars and not knowing if the intruders are police or not. The area where i live is probably the most searched area in the US. I live within 5 air miles of the air base which houses the regional state and federal eradication efforts for this area of the country. Only cali produces more weed than this area and thats only on certain years. Most of the growers here plant crops knowing they will be found and year after year I watch the carnage from afar. Heres how it lays out:

First you see the helicopter - 1 maybe 2. These are looking for growers that might be lying in wait for the police, (yea right} in nearby areas surrounding the patch. Then they send in the K-9 units to check for Booby traps and to discover scents the dog can later hit on.
(Booby traps are common in my area, Many of the growers depend on this crop for their lively hood and the communities in the area depend on the money. There arent lots of jobs here and growers generally believe that if your going to destroy a families livellhood there should be an accouting for that.)

After the chopper and the dogs check things out, the cutters and photographers move in.

Even if they just set up survielance equipment, it a big show with a number of vehicles, trainees, supervisors and deputy prosecuters. The pictures would reveal the unmistakeable truth,

Footnote; That dog that sniffs over the patch?, well, in my neck of the woods if your seen in the area of the patch or they have some reason to come and ask you questions , they bring the dog. If that dog "hits" on you by barking at you, its grounds for a probabable cause search of your home and property.

Last edited:

gunnaknow

I'm a bit dissapointed that you can't view your pics remotely. The technology is available but I guess it's still too expensive to incorporate it into such a device. In a few years time hopefully the size of the units would have been reduced aswel because they're abit on the chunky side. The ultimate device would be the size of a cell phone, and be remotely connected to a viewing device. One day.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was looking at some infrared models but they were in the 500 dollar range. Those could be hidden real well. I was going to build a ladder from roughcut and leave it hidden out there to use to get to the camera. It would just piss me off to have my plants and my 500 dollar camera stolen, lol.....

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you see the motion detecting IR beam from the camera with night vision goggles?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cascadia said:
I bet you could, but cops don't visit at night usually........

No, but if you did (wore them visiting at night), you could see if someone else set up a camera around your grow.

Hindu Killer

Veteran
I can tell you this....a property that is known to have game camera's installed is usaully avoided. Ive got one and no one goes there.....there are cameras all over. GREAT security...even if they are not your own.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I think I am going to get one of these to mess with this summer, and use it for monitoring traffic on roads/trails near my plots. I think they'd be cool just for posting around my place and seeing what kind of animals roam when I am not there, maybe I'll start using them also for locating big bucks prior to hunting season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another idea might be to use these cameras for Pre-scouting possible plot locations, it may give you a idea of what traffic is traveling around the area you are interested in planting in, both animal and human. This would especially be effective during the summer/fall prior to the season of intended use.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I'm always afraid someone might have set one up so when I go out to the plots I wear jeans and a solid color shirt with no markings, I also wear sunglasses and put on a bandanna when I get close to the plot just in case.. seems paranoid but a bandanna with some deet also keeps the bugs away and is perfectly plausible for wearing out in the woods for that purpose.