What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spring Garden!

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm attempting to germinate some Tomatoes - Better Boy and several different types of peppers. I can't wait until the warmth of spring! :D

I plan to have a full and complete garden this year.

What's everyone else having in their spring garden other than cannabis?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
SG- I'm running tomatoes, radishes, dill, cilantro, basil and sunflowers right now (indoor) we had a very successful run of peppers last year and hope to continue with that real soon.
Outdoors this season, we're growing collards, peas, peppers, apples, pears, peaches, grapes, blueberries and potatoes.
Indoors-tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs, and lettuce.
Good luck with your garden!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
garlic. peppers x4, cherry toms, inca squashes, basil, dill, corriander, tyme, peas x2, beans x3, pumpkins x4, corn, burdock, kiwi fruit, raspberry, blackberry, cherry... plus a few others... :D

Che

Veteran
Right now I have Tomato, Basil and Cantaloupe growing indoors. I plan on starting some more tomatoes outdoors, as well as blueberries, onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, beans, and lots of flowers!! Gardening is so relaxing and rewarding!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
150+ tomatoes, 200+ onions, 50+ peppers, 80 garlic, strawberries, potatoes, raspberries, kale, kohl rabi, radish, carrots, the list goes on haha.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Doc-how hard is that kiwi to get going? have you had good luck with it in the past or is this your first attempt?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Doc-have you had good luck with the kiwi before or is this your first attempt?

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
I'm doing 14 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, looking for 'keepers' for next year. 2 or 3 years of that and I should be able to have a thriving garden full of plants that I know will love my climate, soil and technique.

Going to have the requisite herb garden (no, the other kind) and some hot peppers too. I finally used up all my dried Habaneros, so it's probably their turn in the rotation.

-s

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doc-how hard is that kiwi to get going? have you had good luck with it in the past or is this your first attempt?

The Kiwi plant/ tree/ bush was only planted last season. It grew well perhaps 15x planting size,, then the leaf fell off into winter. The stem/root base is sound and so it should give some fruits this coming season.

Was dubious at first,,, but the south islands NZ get as cold as Europe :D

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I have a few herbs too and a dwarf fig tree! Parsley, Rosemary, Dill, Cilantro, Oregano, catnip and mint. I gotta get my cherry tomatoes started...

Kiwis wont fruit until their 2nd year.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Thanks Doc.
My cillantro looks like garbage....two weeks old,germed nicely and now looking rather weak. This is my first attempt at it...is it usually this stubborn?

Strainbrain

Veteran
I had trouble with Cilantro from seed 2 seasons ago, which was the last time I had land on which to garden. I'm usually pretty good with seeds, so it was unusual to be frustrated so completely. Germ rates were terrible, growth was slow, and they all ended up dead before they hit the actual ground.

I ended up just buying some from a greenhouse like everyone else....

-s

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had trouble with Cilantro from seed 2 seasons ago, which was the last time I had land on which to garden. I'm usually pretty good with seeds, so it was unusual to be frustrated so completely. Germ rates were terrible, growth was slow, and they all ended up dead before they hit the actual ground.

I ended up just buying some from a greenhouse like everyone else....

-s

use peat pots, jiffy pots to germinate the seeds, that way you can transplant the plant and container together into a larger container or in the ground.

Strainbrain

Veteran
I am a Jiffy pot disciple, believe me. For both seeds and clones, they're all I use.

The rest of my garden comes from seed, and I get excellent germ rates. I just had a specific problem with Cilantro last go round, tried 2 batches and no luck. Only plant I've ever had trouble sprouting. Thought I'd share that, since Dubwise had a similar tale. :wallbash:

-s

Strainbrain

Veteran
All of the tomatoes are up for the season... 56/60 germinated.

Holy crap.

I hope I have friends who want tomatoes.

-s

mazzakush

ahhh it is that time of year again aint it....
so far i've got california poppy, fennel, garlic, beans, lettuce, kale, carrots, basil, poppies, peppers, marjoram, onions, sunflowers, sage, more herbs and more veggies yet to go in.

and where the hell'd those echinecea seeds go?

norcalkell

This will be my 2nd one.. Last year I used vegies that were already stared.. This year I want to plant from seen and I've never done it and know NOTHING about it. I love eating something youve grown and its bomb..

any ideads? I want to go all out this year.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ideally you want to start some plants from seed(like tomatoes, peppers) about 2months before you put them out.

Jimmy Rave

lettuce, tomato, beetroot, carrots, peas, onions, peppers, cress, cabbage and strawberrys going in my veggie patch this year :rasta:

asaru969

spring has sprung...my favorite time of the year:woohoo:the line up:beets,lettece,onions,potatoes,garlic,2 kinds of greenbeans-bush and pole,wax beans,2 kinds of carrot-one is this really cool colored mix,eggplant,cucumbers,spinach,broccolli,6 diff. kinds of tomatos-i already have 3 purple cherry tomatos that are 28 days old...3 kinds of squash:yellow,butternut and zuccinni,4 diff pumpkins-300+ pounders from my grandfather, some really nice white ones called "baby boo"and a couple of others,honeydew melons,rubob,strawberries-some have these pretty pink flowers..really nice,spearamint,peppermint,chives,leeks,oregano,cilantro,3 diff basils-cinnamon,purple,green.,thyme,dill, a bunch of different colored peppers-sweet and hot,aspagrus,lemon balm..umm 2 blueberry bushes,some golden raspberries..and a grapevine..this year i really want to add a couple more bushes to make a blueberry patch ,,and some red or blackberries next to the golden raspberries-and a cherry tree and and...