What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

oops... time for a new pH meter, suggestions?

My recent pH meter has pretty much bit the dust, and in need of a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? My last one was a cheapo I bought off amazon...one of the yellow pieces of crap... and needless to say I am looking for a better one.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Just_Grow

i use a blue lab. it has the ph ppm and ec all in one.. it probably not the best but i have been using it for couple years now no problem. just keep it clean and calibrated

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PH is so important.
I prefer to double verify, even triple verify, my nuts ph range before feeding.

1) I have the Blue Lab combo meter
thats great. But the probe will wear out. $45 or so to replace
I need to order a new one (3rd in 5 years).... no biggie.

2) I also have a cheesy $35 ebay PH stick/wand that I actually like a lot.
checks the ph as it stirs the nutes like a champ. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-42cm-Stick-LED-pH-Meter-Tester-Dipstick-Pool-Aquarium-2-1-10-8pH-/191122313637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7fc711a5

3) But the go to, must have, bottom line ph device I use is GH PH DROPS! Because batteries go bad. Probes go bad. For $5, you get insurance.

if you're only going to use one method to check ph, go with the drops.

if you wanted to double up, i'd suggest the stir stick & drops.... as ph range is way more important overall imo than checking solution strength. but...

but if you want to know ph range, solution temp, and ec/ppm levels, go blue lab + drops

good luck
aloha

Useful Idiot

Veteran
PH is so important.
I prefer to double verify, even triple verify, my nuts ph range before feeding.

1) I have the Blue Lab combo meter
thats great. But the probe will wear out. $45 or so to replace
I need to order a new one (3rd in 5 years).... no biggie.

2) I also have a cheesy $35 ebay PH stick/wand that I actually like a lot.
checks the ph as it stirs the nutes like a champ. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7fc711a5

3) But the go to, must have, bottom line ph device I use is GH PH DROPS! Because batteries go bad. Probes go bad. For $5, you get insurance.

if you're only going to use one method to check ph, go with the drops.

if you wanted to double up, i'd suggest the stir stick & drops.... as ph range is way more important overall imo than checking solution strength. but...

but if you want to know ph range, solution temp, and ec/ppm levels, go blue lab + drops

good luck
aloha

Yeah...I purchased a PH meter years ago....it pissed me off and I went back to drops. The drops have done me good for many years. Just an old timers opinion.:biggrin:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Drops, works every time:

picture.php

Is there a meter out there that everyone agrees is best?

Mad Lab

BLUELAB BLUELAB BLUELAB

Also if your in the market for a ppm meter the BlueLab Truncheen is the only way to go. 10-20$ more than your average ppm meter (that you have to calibrate all the time) and you NEVER have to calibrate. Waterproof. And gives you a scale reading of every ppm scale chart like 500ppm, 750ppm, etc etc. So no more looking up to see what ppm meter you have anymore.

Miraculous Meds

Another bluelab combo guy here. Ive had several of the mid grade ph pens. They all work fine and get dirty and go bad eventually. Nature of how they are built with the bulb and wick. But the blue lab ph probe is cheap enough to replace when necessary. Just have a back up one on hand an keep ur probe clean once a month, and a quick rinse and wipe down after each use and u will get a lot of time out of them. I never trust my judgment with the ph drops. Always second guess myself.

I only use a meter on occasion due to living soil but when it come to testing my well water I only trust Bluelab due to experiences that were negative with all other brands.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More kudos for Bluelab Combo/Guardian. Except their stand alone pen, but that's just my experience.

If I were looking for a pen, I've heard good things about Milwaukee and the replaceable probe. No idea on durability or performance.

Drops are king though. How else could you verify equipment malfunction?

Last edited:
So ya my pH pen is way off. Found that out quick with the old school drop tester. I have a hard time reading the colors tho. Can anyone suggest a good way to match up the colors?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Up against a white wall or piece of paper? Sufficed to say, no where near any HPS glow.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Milwaukee pH56. Cost around $60 and you can buy a replaceable probe around $30. I've had mine 3 years. Take care of it and it will last.

G

I am color blind too.
So I got a blue lab combo.

Last edited:
H

Harley420

I am color blind too. I can't use the strips. I wish they made the strips with number ranges instead of color reaction.
Oh well.
So I got a blue lab combo.

hey outcold i am colour blind too and i get ok results with ph drop kits
sometimes its a pain because i dont no what ph it is,so i try for yellow ph6.0 or light green ph6.2 and so far its kind of working...
i want a ph meter myself but for £150 i can buy a life time supply of
ph test kits