What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st time indoor soil CFL grow

Hüsker Dü

Reg Dixon said:
So when I came back my place stank like cheap air freshener.
lol :laughing:
I welcome the day where we freely can enjoy the good, healthy smell from flowering girls :)

Best luck with the girls, and thanks for posting :):)

HD

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 57 grow report.

Day 57 grow report.

So I was back in the cab today mainly to check the Tric's on my Critical + auto. However had a quick look at the BW and TD and found that they needed watering again already!

Happy to oblige I mixed up some slightly stronger than usual maxibloom with water. Shook for the prescribed 5 mins and watered both in.

The TD continues to grow. A sure sign it will be a lot longer.

The BW does not look close to me yet so no problems with nuting it today. One of the advantages of nute on nute off watering schedule is after nuting it is usually at least a week if not 10 days before they get nuted again so it is easy to switch to non nutes if needed.

Did a couple more new things. Turned my out take fan around which was acting as a suction pump out of the grow area. Now it is blowing air across the cab along with a fan at the other end which is doing the same. Not sure whether this will help with heat/air circulation issues. The only way to learn is to try something new and either fail or succeed I'm finding.

Talking of something new that worked. Maybe 2 weeks or less I cut every leaf off my TD that did not seem to be serving a purpose. Also I cut a lot of leaves off so the light could get to the buds more easily. The results have been good and the TD has started growing again and looking a lot better as a result. (I think)

So I decided to do the same with the NL auto today. Got every sick looking leaf off the plant which could be easily pulled off. Maybe in a few more days I'll do the same again if it looks like it is working except this time I'll actually cut off sick looking droopy leaves like I did with my TD.

This serves two purposes. More light gets to the buds and the plant can concentrate on new growth now the crappy leaves have been removed.

Also I reorganised my plants and lights set up. I'm finding it very difficult to turn my pots with my current set up. Put simply I have too many plants in my cab for the space and light provided.

This is making me lean towards growing only 2 plants next time with a focus on better yields and better light coverage.

Also for next time if I don't solve the heat/humidity issues the whole thing is a no go anyway. It has been too hard growing under these conditions. As well as the expense the time involved has been quite substantial.

Got a few pics of my trimmed bud which is drying at the moment. Does not look great to be honest but will do a 5 day dry then at least 1 week cure on it to see how it tastes.

Ants are continuing to be a minor annoyance. There are quite a lot of them now if I leave any matter lying about they are on it quickly.

Next time my grow room will be cleaning every week or every other week. After this grow I'm breaking the whole thing down, cleaning then fumigating the grow room. Also going to be more careful about the mediums I use. Don't want to bring pests in.

Also need to find a more permanant solution to CO2 issues. My yeast/sugar bottle method attracts ants too much and need too much attention. Something that can be hooked up to my lights timer then just do a slow release and not cost a fortune would be ideal.

Not asing for too much is it?

And so we grow on....

Will be new pics in Album soon. Here are a few tasters...

Attachments

• Day 57 flower 004.jpg
    Day 57 flower 004.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Day 57 flower 017.jpg
    Day 57 flower 017.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Day 57 flower 023.jpg
    Day 57 flower 023.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 57 flower 025.jpg
    Day 57 flower 025.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Day 57 flower 035.jpg
    Day 57 flower 035.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 5

taslicker

there doing OK Reg.
these little buggers can survive a lot of punishment and still give you something to smoke.
its hard when you have so many issues going at one time but that adds to the interest.:dance013:

your next grow will be much smoother with lots of stuff sorted from day one.

i agree with trimming off dead leaves, if over 50% of the leaf is unproductive i give em the snip.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 59 flower report - G13 labs Northern Lights auto

Day 59 flower report - G13 labs Northern Lights auto

Probably will be more updates now as this will now be the only forum containing my grow report.

Was back in the cab today to water the NL auto. It is looking better already. Pulling those nasty leaves off must have worked!

On a side note about these leaves. They appear to be deformed. Either a one bladed leaf or a 3 bladed one with 2 normal sized ones and a tiny one at one side. Looks really wierd but the pistils appear to be turning orange which I'm taking to be a good sign.

Did I get a bad pheno, make it a mutant by over nuting or is this just a crappy strain?

taslicker

deformed

deformed

Did I get a bad pheno, make it a mutant by over nuting or is this just a crappy strain?
mutations are in the plants genetics and nothing to do with your treatment of the plant. its true they will Hemi and do other weird shit if you stress them but iv'e never heard of stress causing 3 bladed leaves.

as far as i'm concerned its only a crappy strain if it makes a shit smoke :biggrin:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
So just a couple of notes while the lights are off. The NL auto I forgot had a solid piece of plant flower food added to it last water so when I nuted it today with the Maxibloom it has been double nuted. Will keep an eye on it but have the feeling it will not hurt it any as it probably needs more nutes.
My guess is the listlessness of the leaves and discoloration as well as the brittleness of the stems all point towards some kind of nute deficiency. Between them these 2 nute sources have everything the plants need so we will see if they got too much of a good thing.
Might just give them plain water next time to be safe. Normally would mix with molasses.

The dry and cure on my critical 'test bud' is going forward. On day 2 of the cure now. Just took the lid off my pot.

I have a smallish plastic airtight food container. About 1/2 the size of a small mason jar. Does this sound like an acceptable vessel in which to cure?

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 60 flower pic report.

Day 60 flower pic report.

New pics are in my album. Please follow the link under sig to view them........

In the cab today to change my CO2 bottle which has gotten too hot to support the yeast and is also clogged up with tiny ants that love the smell too much.

The NL auto looks like it is trying to push on into the final stage of flowering after a long time in the doldrums.

My experiment with mylar is almost over. Have only one surface left and that is not really mylar anyway.

Next grow - No mylar just flat white everywhere.

- Less plants.

- SCRoG

- A cab that takes less than 1 minute to open/close up.

- Bigger final pot. Maybe a trench style one.

Wish list.

- A room with wired in A/C already.

- Co2 system that does not attract pests.

- Actual physical cab with it's own intake and exhaust.

- Grow tent

- Space to grow 6 plants.

- 250/400w HPS with no heat issues.

- De humidifier/air purifier

- A grow room I can keep closed up and self contained.

Next some pics. I have a question....

Ready or not? Critical looks close but has not got amber tric's yet. Surely I shoudl be seeing them already at day 60?

The other 3 plants all have a little way to go IMHO

Temp remains a steady 85-90 degrees during the day and 80-85 at night.

RH remains steady at between 50-60%

Have put my fans up to it's highest setting for daytime to help with airflow. At night I'll turn the noisy extraction down to it's lowest setting.

A recent success I've found is using a cheap block air freshener on a chair with a fan blowing on it. It completely destroys any smell by overpowering the room with a smell of cheap air freshener!

I'd love to do the carbon filter thing but until I actually grow in a real cab/tent it is not practical. This is a temporary solution at best but it works!

I think I'm going to chop the Critical auto on day 63 flower whatever it looks like.

That away at least one of my plants will be ready for 4-20.

Attachments

• Day 60 flower 012.jpg
    Day 60 flower 012.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 60 flower 020.jpg
    Day 60 flower 020.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 60 flower 022.jpg
    Day 60 flower 022.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Day 60 flower 014.jpg
    Day 60 flower 014.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 60 flower 010.jpg
    Day 60 flower 010.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 4

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 61 flower. Critical + auto chop down,trim and dry.

Day 61 flower. Critical + auto chop down,trim and dry.

From my point of view nothing was happening with the critical so decided to chop it and trim.

Being that it was such a small plant it did not take long to chop, trim, and hang.

Had to get a bit creative about drying as finding a cool, dry place is not so easy around here!

Take a look and see if I'm doing it right.

Attachments

• Flower day 61 - Critical chop 020.jpg
    Flower day 61 - Critical chop 020.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Flower day 61 - Critical chop 015.jpg
    Flower day 61 - Critical chop 015.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Flower day 61 - Critical chop 009.jpg
    Flower day 61 - Critical chop 009.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7
  • Flower day 61 - Critical chop 006.jpg
    Flower day 61 - Critical chop 006.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Flower day 61 - Critical chop 004.jpg
    Flower day 61 - Critical chop 004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 6

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 61 flower - 3 plant grow

Day 61 flower - 3 plant grow

So let's have a look at the other 3 plants now. They needed watering today so I took a chance. It looked to me like the TD had a long time to go and it was looking a bit undernourished. The BW has had a lot of leaves yellowing and dying so I added a new nute.

I put a solid 14/28/14 food tablet in the soil. It is designed for water lillies and other flowers. Designed to enhance flowers specifically.

Hopefully this will solve any under nute problems and I will go on as normal until it is time to flush at which time I'll dig the tablets out.

Now there are only 3 plants in the cab the lighting arrangements are looking much better.

Added a couple of lights to beef up the cab to over 32k lumens.

Have a look and see what you think?

Attachments

• Flower day 61 - Critical chop 011.jpg
    Flower day 61 - Critical chop 011.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Flower day 61 - Critical chop 013.jpg
    Flower day 61 - Critical chop 013.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 11

taslicker

I put a solid 14/28/14 food tablet in the soil. It is designed for water lillies and other flowers. Designed to enhance flowers specifically.
not sure thats a good idea reg. i stick to one type of Nute during a grow and then use my EC and PH meters to make sure i keep within the PH range and don't over fertilize.
when i grow in soil i use Bloom Booster by Manutec for the flower cycle and Miracle Grow for the Veg cycle. They are common Garden Store fertilizers where i come from (Australia)

Last edited:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
not sure thats a good idea reg.

Neither am I!

It is a risk because I just don't know what will work and what will lead to disaster.

Have had to take a lot of risks and learn from trial and error this grow. Next grow I might get a few things right first time!

My thinking is this....

1 tablet 4 inches from the plant is a lot less than the prescribed dose for these sizes of plants so it is unlikely it will be too much even added to the Maxibloom.

The plants both look a little under nuted anyway.

2/3 could have Cal/mag issues which this plant food contains.

The tablet can be dug up at any time. They are meant to be used on a per month basis so they are slow release. I'm planning on digging up the Blue Widow one within a week and the others a bit later although the NL auto seems to be making abother push towards maturity now.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 63 flower.

Day 63 flower.

End of week 9 flower!

To celebrate I left em alone today! Just changed the dryer sheets on my extaction fan. Purely smell management. Also have a solid air freshener being blown on by my extraction fan as well as 4 others dotted around the room.

They are cheap enough and I like not taking chances!

Now with more watts per plant I'm getting more joy on them all. However past heat issues have certainly slowed down these plants. Prolly another week or 2 at least although it is not easy to tell with the NL auto.

Almost done drying my buds. Prolly will them in the jar tomorrow for cure.

My test cure smells cheesy and not in good way. Certainly smells wet hayish. That with some cheese thrown in.

Hoping that at the very least this plant will be cured for 4-20. Am a little disappointed that the others prolly will not be ready. Outside chance the Blue Widow or NL auto will but zero chance the TD will be ready anytime soon it seems.

Pics later in the week.

taslicker

i tried your dry air freshener idea Reg.
works a treat :woohoo:

i don't need to worry about odour except when someone comes to visit so i needed a cheap system for occasional use.
this is cheap and works.
if anybody asks why the house smell like a public toilet i'll tell them its to hide the smell of the dead rat in the ceiling :biggrin:
thanks

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 64 flower. In the cab.

Day 64 flower. In the cab.

i tried your dry air freshener idea Reg.
works a treat :woohoo:

i don't need to worry about odour except when someone comes to visit so i needed a cheap system for occasional use.
this is cheap and works.
if anybody asks why the house smell like a public toilet i'll tell them its to hide the smell of the dead rat in the ceiling :biggrin:
thanks

Glad to help:tiphat:

It only lasts a few days but it gives me instant peace of mind,:ying:

Back in the cab today. The NL auto needed watering. Just gave her the molasses water and some water on top of that.

Trimmed off any dead or dying leaves off the other 2 and changed the light positions. Quite happy with the light coverage.

Both BW and TD will need feeding/watering again tomorrow.

Think I'll go flush with the BW from this point on. It already has that solid food tablet buried in the soil anyway.

Will take a few pics tomorrow whilst in the cab.

Very happy with a 3 plant set up. Now have the fan oscillating so it blows directly on plants every few seconds.

Hope this really freshens up my plants and gets them a bit more vibrant and healthy.

I'm beginning to realise that good airflow in these hot growing conditions is vital while the lights are on and important when they are off.

In the battle against high temps this one adjustment could be very imprtant.

My Critical + auto is still hanging for maybe 1 or 2 more days before going in the jar. I'm a bit concerned as it has lost its smell already after only being on the hangar 3 days.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 65 Flower. Lights are currently off and I had the lid off my critical + auto 'test cure bud' tub.

Just one smallish 'air bud' Tried a tiny fraction of it mixed with regular outdoor local stuff. Taste is decent. The molasses I think gives it a clean, sweet taste. The stone is nice if a little short lived. Certainly a good intensity of stone for a whie. Can't wait to see how the rest of them turn out. They get put in the jar for cure tomorrow.

Today will be watering the Blue Widow and Tangerine Dream if they appear dry enough. Besides that not much going on. Maybe will add more yeast to my Co2 bottle.

Exciting times in the grow room!

Maybe pics later.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 65 flower - pics

Day 65 flower - pics

As you can see the plants are continuing to develop under hot temps.

The temp under light remains around 90 dropping to 80-85 at night.

RH is lower than it was now only 50%.

Now the temps are down and airflow is up the plants are drinking again. Faster than before. Hope my TD does not need re potting to something still larger!

Next grow I'm buying bigger pots for flower.

Take a look and see what you think?

Attachments

• Flower day 65 012.jpg
    Flower day 65 012.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 5
  • Flower day 65 018.jpg
    Flower day 65 018.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Flower day 65 020.jpg
    Flower day 65 020.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Flower day 65 016.jpg
    Flower day 65 016.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Flower day 65 001.jpg
    Flower day 65 001.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 4

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Day 67 flower

Day 67 flower

In cab briefly today. Just checking tric's.

All 3 plants will need watering tomorrow.

BW appears to be close in places with Tric's beginning to turn amber in some places and still clear/undeveloped in others.

Should I selectively harvest this plant?

NL auto is anyones guess. Have a pic here as well as a few other snaps.

The TD is producing Tric's at last! Won't be ready for a while but still going nicely.

Have a look at the pics. The plants with big juicy buds are the BW and TD.

Will have a more detailed report when I water/flush tomorrow.

Attachments

• Day 67 flower 001.jpg
    Day 67 flower 001.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 67 flower 003.jpg
    Day 67 flower 003.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 67 flower 008.jpg
    Day 67 flower 008.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Day 67 flower 013.jpg
    Day 67 flower 013.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 67 flower 018.jpg
    Day 67 flower 018.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 5

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
A note about curing

A note about curing

OK it is late and I just opened up my 'test cure' bud. It dried for 4 days and now has been curing 9 days. Today was brilliant. The smell has begun to 'turn' from wet hay to nice smelling weed.
It is about 1/2 and 1/2 today. Of course I have been smoking small parts of the test bud every day or two. Had a little tonight. Really good even in small quantities. I used this method...

Put in sealed jar. I used a small plastic airtight container to see how plastic does in a cure.
Normally I might use a masons jar. The kind with the hermatic seal.

After 24 hours open the lid and leave open for another 24 hours then seal up and only open for 5-15 mins a day every day. Move the buds around gently to allow air to circulate more freely if using a bigger jar.

Using this method I thought i might just know when it is done down to the smell. It is definitely true.

Also means I'd better take note I have just finished day 2 of the cure on the rest of the Critical + auto.

Means I'll have something nice in about 7-10 days. A nice thought. My first ever buds. In time for 4-20