What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 Plant Perpetual

crzygirl

Starting this diary late, sorry! Shes an Evolution Lavender, 2 months old from seed, give or take a few days, one month in flower showed hair on the 19th. 3ft 3" tall to be exact.
When my clones root, another one will be placed into the flower box, next to her and im guessing the oldest will be chopped in November, then another one goes in her place! Have WW clone, and plenty of this Evo, cloned. They will veg under 2 18" 15w fluorescents, in 2g. DWC buckets.
Boosted PPM's from 1100~ to 1400-1500~ earlier in flower box. Can't wait to see how she takes to all that food. She exploded with growth when I switched her to 12/12.
Some changes to come will be flat white paint, a good cleanup, and possibly remounting the exhaust fans.
Enjoy the pics, and feel free to comment!

Just some dirt weed, was messing with the microscope/digicam trick.

crzygirl

A slow death

A slow death

Tell me what you think of this situation. I received this WW clipping, had no roots, and it had a small bud on the top. Thinking nothing of it, I cut a small piece of the stem off at a 45 degree angle and put the clipping into my small bubble cloner under 15w fluorescent light. Almost three weeks later, on the 18th, I lift the lid and see 3 massive roots growing, about 3" long. Waited one day and the roots grew about another inch or two in length. Transplanted the clipping into a 2g. bucket with plain water, and clipped the small bud off the top. Here is what it looks like five days later:

Is it going to die!? The one root I can see through the net pot, looks fine and healthy. LOL why do I have bad luck with clones?

B

basement420

Hate to be a pessimist here but I have had a few clones that looked and acted the same way as this one of yours, and the outcome was not a good one. I think it is probably going to die but I wouldn't give up just keep it going till it is definitely dead. You never know it could pull through. Good luck.

crzygirl

Pics Pics

Pics Pics

Did some twisty-tie treatment on various branches and leaves, then took a buncha pics.

Basement420: Im crossing my fingers! Its quite possible I may be able to get a seed of this supposed White Widow clone. Do tell your cloning method, please.

Need to buy a slide piece for the massive one :(

B

basement420

I am also not very well versed in cloning only trying my third run of 8. I use a simple bubble cloner.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Cloning is 100% pure voodoo. What works for some spells death for others. Keep trying different things till something works for you. Yes, it's discouraging but, success is possible. DON'T GIVE UP! It's too valueable a tool.

crzygirl

I think once I can replace my PH meter probe, and make sure all my water for all my buckets is at 5.8, i wont have as much difficulty rooting clones. Are there any gels or powders i can get to dip the cut into, then put into my bubble cloner? I would think not because of the bubbling water washing it off...

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Supposedly, no additives are needed. I've had no luck that way.

Combined with Rockwool, I've had great success. Soaking each stem in Hormex (Indole butyric acid + B1. Available in many other cloning liquids as well) and then dipped in Olivia's cloning gel

crzygirl

FreezerBoy - How long do you keep the stems in the Hormex liquid before dipping into the gel? Whats the price of those two products you show, if you rememer....

I do have a bottle of Doc's Clone Spray its called, been spraying my clones every two days with that mixture. Do not have the details on it, within reach. I dont have to much trouble getting the cuttings to show roots while in the bubble cloner. Its not until I transplant my clones(with roots) into their 4" net pots with hydroton clay balls, into 2 gallon buckets of regular tap water, then they just "dry up?" and die!

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I never had much success cloning until I took Freezerboy's advice. I figured out what would work best for my situation, got myself a bottle of Hormex, and got amazing results. Check out the link in my sig. Just Hormex, no gels or powders, and spent $0 on the cloner.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
crzygirl said:
FreezerBoy - How long do you keep the stems in the Hormex liquid before dipping into the gel? Whats the price of those two products you show, if you rememer....
D'oh! sorry 'bout that. One minute for each stem. Olivia's aint cheap on the surface. I believe it was $20(?) for a small, 4 oz bottle. However, I hand dated the bottle in Jan 2001. It's just now getting close to replacement. The Hormex was purchased at the same time ($10? 8oz) and I still have half the botttle left (I pour unused solution back in the bottle)

As to drying out, are your netpots submerged? While DWC uses an air gap between pot and nutes, thats after roots are long enough to escape the pot and reach down to the water. Consider raising res level or top feeding until roots are several inches long.

Is your bucket well aerated? There's no such thing as too much water but there can be too little oxygen. Cool water holds more oxygen than warm water. Keep res below 70ºF if possible. pH 5.6-5.8 is optimum.

$18 is WAY too much for 4oz. That's closer to the 32 oz price. At least on the web.

....... add .......

Note: As much as I love Hormex, I imagine any solution with Indole butyric acid (IBA) + B1 will do.

Last edited:

crzygirl

wow ill keep looking for cheaper hormex LOL
i cannot control res temps :( its steady at 76.8. I also do not have air stones on my lines, i just anchor down the tube, alot of big bubbles (a contributing factor?):/ Am looking into one of these per bucket in 3" size, also come 4" & 5".

Supposed to be able to clean these w/a hard bristle brush...

As for the net pots, they were 1/2" - 1" above water, the clay balls look wet, but I did fill it yesterday until the net pot was in water by 1/2".

Last edited:
B

basement420

I have no real hard facts to back this up but I tried what you are doing with just having open air lines in the water and while it did work I have gotten better results with using fine bubbling airstones.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
The object is surface turbulence. That's where the oxygen gets absorbed. Waterfalls are the best. They're nothing but surface turbulence.

76 is on the warm side but, I've grow in worse. Not impressively though. I doubt seriously that's the problem here. Could lead to root problems with some of the funkier foods. GH Flora series (of Lucas fame) is very clean. Don't buy unless you need it but start looking for some Hydrogaurd or SM90. Either will aid with root/res problems due to higher temps.

Hydroton makes for a lousy wick. Commonly used in flood and top feed systems, it's better at moving water down, dragging oxygen with it to the roots. I try to match the res level with the bottom of the starter cube. Once roots can clear the gap, I lower the level. I've let it go as much as 6 inches though I wouldn't recommend it.

crzygirl

I just woke up and looked at my sickly WW clones roots inside the netpot, and they are still growing in length. No growth up top tho :( I am going to get some of those air stones i posted about this morning, probably this weekend.
FreezerBoy - i could use the hydroguard in my veg/clone box but not in flower as i use Florolicuos Plus and the h-guard kills bacteria right? For now, in my veg/clone box, could I add Hydrogen peroxide to my bubble cloner of unrooted cuttings, would that be harmful?

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
If you've still got roots I wouldn't scrap it, you are growing a weed after all. Unless you need the space for something else, just keep an eye on it, I'm sure it'll rebound eventually.

crzygirl

i really hope so. I need clones(my Evo cuttings) to root in 2gal. buckets by October 19th, to stay on my selected schedule. How often do ppl wait to UP PPM's after they've already done it once? Like I up'd it from 1100 to 1500 two days ago, was thinking of going to 1800 on the 30th....

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Are you talking about the PPMs you're giving to the clone you're having trouble rooting? If you are, STOP. Read your plants. Are they asking for more nutes? If not, then there's no need to up the PPMs. I feed my plants, from 1 week old seedlings and freshly rooted cuts all the way to the end of flower the same solution, which works out to be around 1.2-1.4ec (600-700ppm or 840-980ppm, depending on the conversion factor)

With a struggling clone though I'd keep PPMs real low, they can't do anything with all that stuff in the water if there's no growth. Can you get a close up of the clone? What you really need to look at is the spots where new growth will come from.

Also, what's up with that green plexiglass in front of one of your lights?

11908HB_001.jpg

This was the clone I was talking about. It's got a ton of roots (comparatively) but you can see not much growth. You can see there's 4 healthy growth points though, and that's where I'm watching. The roots are good and can take care of themselves, so I'm just waiting for the new growth to come from those points.

Last edited:

crzygirl

Nothing in the clone's water, just plain tap water. I was thinking of adding H202(not good idea?). I was asking about more nutes for my flowering monster, its my first time growing this strain and it seems to dig all the extra nutes its been fed. As for green plexiglass, its really to be clear but its a bit dusty on the inside. Can get a close up of my cuttings in a little.

Latest posts

Latest posts