What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai's Blooper Reel

thailer

what signs or symptoms makes you think that it is the pH?

the pH of the water is 6.8 but it doesn't have much, if anything in it that would cause the soil's pH to rise up like carbonates. when i try to lower it, after 2-3 drops the pH just shoots down quickly. it's not like some water that you are adding ml's of pH down just to get it to budge. that type of water will cause the pH to rise up over a few waterings and shortly you'll have pH issues. other than the metals, the water is ideal i was told.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
You're right an internet search of copper toxicity yields nothing.

All I know about it is old air conditioners can have copper sulphate in the condensation so giving that water to plants is risky.

Maybe post up that pic of the yellowing in the infirmary?

brickweeder

The Cervantes MJ deficiency chart shows slow growth and leaf tip chlorosis for excessive Cu, similar to how yours looks. The nute availability charts show Cu availability going down with pH >7, so if the Cu excess is the culprit, overly high pH is probably not the issue.

thailer

maybe my plants caught the covid virus. lol really hasn't been the best year for the grow room.

i'm gonna try and clone some of the lower growth that doesn't seem to be effected like the upper growth is. maybe rip them out of there and give them a transplant tonight. i think i need to change the RO filter too. maybe just throw this soil outside. i read it can't be leached.

i don't think this is due to high pH but i appreciate the time to help! thanks!

if anyone gets a photograph pic of copper toxicity, i'd be much obliged. the cervantes has a good drawing that confirms what i think. kinda curious if there are pics tho because i can't find shit.

thailer

so two days ago i took one of the jelly breath's that was extra bad off and put it into more KIS soil except i used only RO water. gonna see what happens.

moses, i think you'll be most interested but i've been geeking out about the SIPs trying to find out more info to fine tune or explain how everything works. a friend told me they were interested in making SIPs because of some Soil, Plant, Water Relationships class he took in school and gave me a bunch of search term to look into. i've been looking into them and i'm pretty excited although i think nobody is really gonna care as much as me. LOL

its about water potential and soil plant atmosphere continuum explaining how the water table creates pressure that helps water enter the plants roots, sorta like they're getting force fed and part of that is the amount of energy used to extract moisture from soil compared to free standing water. i can't really explain it yet but if you're curious i'd look into that stuff. :lurk:

thailer

so i just wanted to report what was happening with the plant. i will go take some pics but its good news. i put the plant in some more KIS soil and then gave it only RO water. I didn't remove a lot of soil from the rootball because the plant is 2.5' tall and i thought that it would be too stressful so it still has some copper soil. the plant is growing five finger leaves again that look normal except the very end of each finger, about 1/8 of an inch is yellow and curled up slightly. the plants are a healthy medium green and not a dark black green now and there is no new stripes forming and i got a few nodes growth to compare.

so if you used too much micronutrients like TM7 which i saw a friend elsewhere use and get the stripes at the end of the fingers of only new growth, or if you have copper pipes which could be leaking or the water sat overnight like mine letting copper leak into the water, you need to remove the plant into new soil. taking clones might not be fruitful as i still haven't been able to get a clone to root, which copper effects rooting in plants. I have two plants that are still in copper soil and they are not snapping out of it just by changing the water to RO. i don't think this will flush out basically.

I am going to take clones of this nicer new growth and then put this plant into bloom. i'm not expecting much because the branches are thinner than normal and most of the growth is like stressed revegged branching. it's just all very weird for this strain which i've had for over two years. its really an easy one to clone and grow.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Another thing is copper is a fungicide so I guess it must be terrible for organic soil, killing off all the beneficials.

Don't be stingy with those search terms, any info on SIPS I'm all over it like a rash :biggrin:

thailer

i forgot cohesion tension theory but that is also explained in the search term, soil plant atmosphere continuum which basically says that a plant is living wick system in itself and if you look into each part of the process like what is root pressure compared to osmotic pressure in how water enters the plant through the roots, it says that a water table below provides energy free water for transpiration where as with regular hand watered pots so the water is soaked in the soil, it requires more energy from the plant to extract that water because H20 is attracted to the soil via hydrogen bonding!! so it's like a magnet and the plant has to use more energy to get nutrients this way compared to a water table.

man i wish i could talk freely with my voice. it is so hard to type as fast as all these words come out of my head about this. it's like all this time using SIPs that everything is connecting and coming together on why they are the best thing since sliced bread.

youtube videos really helped a lot. i'd start watching those using those terms.

thailer

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

took some pics of fresh harvested north cascade cut of jelly breath. smells so dank! cracked the jar inside my car to give to someone who was waiting outside away from me and they knew the pot was out because they said it smelled awesome. i was pretty surprised they could smell it. so yep. i love this cut.

Sunshineinabag

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

took some pics of fresh harvested north cascade cut of jelly breath. smells so dank! cracked the jar inside my car to give to someone who was waiting outside away from me and they knew the pot was out because they said it smelled awesome. i was pretty surprised they could smell it. so yep. i love this cut.
I should prob run that through the vermont shits and giggles test process wow

thailer

I should prob run that through the vermont shits and giggles test process wow

In House Genetics just did a drop a little bit ago of some hybrids or self beans. not too sure as i didn't pay too close of attention but i did notice they were all sharing this cut's genetics.

if i had gotten a choice on what beans of cap's i got, i would've picked something else myself unless you like lemon and pine smells. i'm kind a burnt out on that.

i got a cut of Orange Apricot MAC that is being grown for the 2020 oregon growers cup and smoked some buds. i am culling the lemon shiv for the orange one. really nice orange flavor with a bit of something else i can't place. rotten maybe? super stony. i still gotta smoke this second round but i imagine it will be better than the first.

this is the good looking plants Moses lol the harvest before that was not very good but buds still were nice looking.

thailer

got a phone call yesterday from a friend inviting me to the portland cannabis club because oregon is shutting down today, so the club said they can't financially afford to go through another shut down, so it was the last time to come because it's closing down. So i go down there and we are all having a good time, laughing and such for a couple hours and then the owners get on the loudspeaker and the female is talking about the owner who fought to keep the club open who is going to try to reopen after the covid hopefully, but as she was saying good bye and telling us how much she appreciated us she started crying. next thing i know the whole room is misty eyed, red faced and i certainly wasn't the only one visibly upset. like damn, now she is crying so i'm gonna start with the water works but my whole table was feeling the same.

never once in my life have i seen a full room of mostly grown men, red faced and fighting back tears. it just sucks! they have been selling art off the walls and weird stuff they keep so the club looks cool for a couple months now and it was all picked over. i wish i could've gotten one of the old vintage ashtrays that were the size of a dinner plate.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
damn that sucks! there’s a spot on central mass that had been fighting to stay open and i hope they do cause i still haven’t had the pleasure of a visit.

thailer

picture.php

i heard some people were paying $2000 a pack ever since capulator posted some meatbreath beans from thug pug!! i certainly didn't. lol

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Thailer do you have any experience revegging in a sip?

I'm thinking it should be an advantage, I have never been successful at revegging before. Gotta bring my A game!!

thailer

Thailer do you have any experience revegging in a sip?

I'm thinking it should be an advantage, I have never been successful at revegging before. Gotta bring my A game!!

i have only revegged once in my life honestly. i imagine if the plant wasn't root bound to begin with, it should be ok. you may need a topdress but mainly the SIP can grow a decent sized bush before running out of fertilizer and also becoming rootbound.
:plant grow:
i have been growing out the plants to see how big i can get them and the last three have vegged till they were taller than i am, which isn't much cause i'm kinda short :petting:

i'm sure they could grow enough good revegg growth to get lots of cuts to replace it with but i don't think you could do another round just because its probably rootbound.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yeah this is purely to save genetics. I also thought that root dynamics are entirely different to a conventional pot that has roots growing in circles around the edges. So maybe it is more like a deep water culture set up.

Yes I think my 15 gallon sips could hold a very big plant and I think I'm about to find out :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts