What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male Isolation Chamber

JLP

Veteran
Hey guys, here's a little tutorial on how to grow your males right next to your females.It's a box that isolates the male and filters all the air that moves through the box so that no pollen escapes.I built my first one of these about 4 years ago and posted it at OG.This will be the third box I've constructed.They are fairly simple to construct and if you purchase all of the materials new you will spend probably $40-$60.

Here's an idea of what you'll need:

Just about any computer fan should work for this.Just set the fan on the filter and trace around it with a pen then cut out the squares with a good heavy pair of scissors.I usually use two layers of filter for the fan to draw through.Try to use the best quality filter you can.I really like these purple Filtrete,they have the highest filtration rating I can find and they are easy to tape to the fan.

Once you've cut the squares you stack them on top of each other and then the fan on top.Then run some duct tape around it making a seal and mating them all together.Make sure the fan is pulling air through the filter,not pushing.

Now you need to make a hole in the top of the box,I have a 4'' hole saw that worked perfect for this.

Next you need to seal the fan assembly to the box with some adhesive.You can use just about anything,silicone,latex,liquid nails.

Now you need to make a hole in the lid for an intake.Use a piece of left over filter to cover the hole and seal it with adhesive.

That's about all there is to it.Just plug in the fan and it gently draws air through the box keeping the plant alive and the pollen contained.Here's a pic with a female in the box to give an idea.I also screwed a board to the bottom for stability.

As you can see a clear box works best but you can use a solid box if you cut out the lid and put plexi-glass in it.

When my males show I take them out of the hydroton and re-plant them in soil then put them in the box,I can get about three in this one.I take the box away from the grow and gently open it for watering the males.
I've been using this method for several years now without any problems.

JLP

Last edited:
G

how much pollen do you collect in the filters and do they need replaced often

it looks great :D something anyone can make great idea

G

Male isolation chamber sounds so Star Trek. Can't you change that to the boy in the plastic bubble? Nice work it gives me alot of ideas.

Dank-j

Sweet tutorial JLP. For people with limited space, the males can now chill with the females. How cool is that?

CaptJamesTKirk

Mighty fine tool ya have there Mr. JLP

I have seed starts now and this may come in handy. Gotta keep these Hashplants away from my LSD's

Thanks.

Keep up the outstanding work.

Last edited:

Lucid

very nice.... i was just pondering how to keep some males safe and keep the girls safe as well

JLP

Veteran
Thanks guys.

Hey NeptHaze,I've never had to change a filter,they get a little dirty looking after a few months but they seem to work OK.There is little airflow in the box so the pollen movement is minimal.

JLP

G

Good idea. I guess I should quit build one of those instead of using a cardboard box and cellophane :)

G

Wicked tutorial JLP,
So simple and effective. Imma go build one right away!
Thanks bro.

G

Very nice bro. Simple and inexpensive. I wonder if keeping the males right next to the fems gets em all jazzed up and ready to go :jump:.

G

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JLP again.

G

Truly bad ass. And let me add, perfect tutorial. Less words, more pics, KISS
great job once again, you are a true cannabis warrior myfriend. Thank you again

G

I have your original document from OG saved as a pdf JLP. Looks like you have improved a bit. Still have not gotten around to doing it tho. Maybe someday.

Mo,

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool, i dont see many people doing this, i usually build 2 or 3 of these but instead of male chambers there pollination chambers. just put the male and the female in there let em mess around have some fun then seeds in a few months.