What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Myth, Legend, and Lore: Fact or Fiction?

xet

It is not a myth. It can cause a Schizophrenia-type illness in susceptible individuals, especially people in their late teens or early twenties who smoked heavily from their early to mid teens. Some of these go on to develop persistent, full blown Schizophrenia. The first signs are when paranoia starts to be a dominant feeling whenever the individual consumes cannabis - time to give it up.

Cannabis causing Psychosis is a well-constructed Myth.

Clinical trials illustrate opposite of what you state showing Cannabis as an effective treatment against Schizophrenia.

Who's to say they wouldn't have developed it anyway? I dunno mate. I know a lot of people who have smoked their whole lives and none of them have any mental illness. I've smoked since I was 15 myself.
I agree that some people have reactions to things that others don't but this isn't specific to cannabis. I have a friend who cannot drink alcohol because he turns from the nicest guy to a violent belligerent asshole.

It annoys me that they can make a statement like that that plainly isn't true for the vast majority of people.
Yeah only susceptible individuals as I pointed out. Plenty of pot smokers make it through this period without issue.

Cheers :)

insomniac_AU

Yeah only susceptible individuals as I pointed out. Plenty of pot smokers make it through this period without issue.

Cheers :)
I think this is a problem with drug education in general. People should be aware of how anything they put in their bodies affects them. Whether it's cannabis, pharmaceutical medicine or anything else. Pharmaceuticals are some of the worst. I took Zyban to try and quit smoking cigarettes years ago and I've never felt less like myself, it scared me. Had to stop taking it immediately.

I think this is a problem with drug education in general. People should be aware of how anything they put in their bodies affects them. Whether it's cannabis, pharmaceutical medicine or anything else. Pharmaceuticals are some of the worst. I took Zyban to try and quit smoking cigarettes years ago and I've never felt less like myself, it scared me. Had to stop taking it immediately.
Zyban has such an extensive list of potential psychiatric side effects it is a wonder it passed clinical trials. Smoking ciggies would be the least of your worries. :)

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/zyban-side-effects.html

Cannabis causing Psychosis is a well-constructed Myth.
This is a perfect example of believing what you want to believe. I know it can cause psychosis because it happened to me. I also know a young man in his early twenties who has just had to quit because he has developed psychosis from heavy cannabis use. Another friend developed Schizophrenia 30 years ago, brought on by cannabis use, and he still has it to this day.

CaptainDankness

If you want Cannabis science check out Robert Clarkes book, Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany, now in a paperback for $35
https://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Evo...1&keywords=cannabis+evolution+and+ethnobotany

Hey, that costs 49.95 lol, I was just about to buy it finally. Lol

I've been wanting to buy that book since it came out, still going to sometime probably be used unless I get it for $35 lol, but $50 I'd rather have the hard cover.

Though I can see cannabis seeds crossings oceans and seas by way of birds. Birds love hemp seeds and they do eat seeds then travel to islands shit them out and occasionally one will grow. Not so much drifting in ocean water of course. Lol

CaptainDankness

Legendary: Weed is $6 a kilo in North Korea. This makes me sad.

Makes sense, in Mexico a kilo is not worth much more. One farmer said he gets 300-350 pesos per kilo which is only $17.01!!

Mexico won't be no joke come legalization, they will be pumping out Patron grade weed for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

insomniac_AU

Can't remember the title, but it was a book that also covered the history of potatoes and tulips.

At the time, no one had found the "reason" for THC or resin on cannabis, not knowing its function in how it helped or protected the plant. The conclusion was that the plant produces it because people like it. Because we like it, we grow more than it would on its own. Evolutionary purpose of THC: human pleasure.

Something like that could probably never be scientifically validated--or denied.

I have heard the sun protection theory too but I'm not sure that makes sense. There are many examples in nature of animals/insects and plants working together to meet each other's needs. Could it be that Cannabis has done the same? Humans have been smoking cannabis for thousands of years. Perhaps cannabis has adapted to offer us something we need to ensure it's own survival? Then again maybe I've smoked too much today and I'm getting too philosophical.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Sam

You`ve traveled , what are some local myths you heard on your trails ?
Cobra head impaled into the trunk for example ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Gry

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may not vote on any more threads today. [/FONT]

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bong-99

Bong-99

early '80s and a group of us stoners invented a card game, 'Bong-99'

Aside from eventually making it to 99 points I'm currently at a loss as to the play of the actual game, but the bonuses and penalties were one in the same, you did a bong hit.

Win the hand=bong hit
Lose the hand=bong hit
Go out of turn=bong hit
Miscounting your hand=bong hit
Get caught cheating=bong hit
Etc, & there were many=bong hit

To speed things up we used a bong w/a 6 shooter bowl system.......

Bumbatar

This is a perfect example of believing what you want to believe. I know it can cause psychosis because it happened to me. I also know a young man in his early twenties who has just had to quit because he has developed psychosis from heavy cannabis use. Another friend developed Schizophrenia 30 years ago, brought on by cannabis use, and he still has it to this day.

You are wrong about this but understandably so, They carefully crafted this propaganda illusion and the following points make it believable.

1) They deliberately mix up a symptom of psychosis with a cause. Drug use is a symptom of mental illness not a cause just like alcohol use is a symptom of PTSD. Nobody looks at war veterans and says vodka gave them PTSD just because they drink it a lot. A rooster singing dose not make the sun come up.

1) Schizophrenia develops in late teens and early adulthood, its rare for people to develop it before that. So you have a bunch of people saying they smoked in their teens then developed schizophrenia later on and they think they are living proof when they would have become schizophrenic anyway.

3) They deliberately mix up and confuse anxiety and paranoia for psychosis. Saying cannabis makes you schizophrenic is like saying its been proven hot peppers set your mouth on fire because they burn your mouth or alcohol gives you the fighting skills of Bruce Lee because you feel fearless and confident before a fight when you are drunk.

There is a vid on YouTube if you just search "Culture High Schizophrenia" that has doctors and scientists debunking this myth. Even saying it happens to vulnerable people has been dis proven because schizophrenic psychosis has remained at only 1% of the population while high potency cannabis use has skyrocketed since the late 80's. A number of studies have dis proven this myth but U.K media dose not talk about them.

Modern reefer madness in the UK is very interesting because its rare in other countries but it is nothing more than the corporate media and UK government protecting the profits of pharmaceutical companies in exchange for lobbyist money. It should be debunked because it is actually getting dangerous. I have seen entertainment media from the U.K. actually glamorizing and glorifying violence against cannabis smokers and dealers. If someone develops schizophrenia and just so happens to smoke cannabis by coincidence a relative or loved one may actually end up murdering their dealer or smoking buddy because they have been brainwashed into thinking cannabis caused it.

The British reefer madness is so wacky now I almost started a thread on the stuff you see in the media.

Last edited:

Satyros

My understanding about THC is it serves to protect the plant from the harmful rays of the sun.

The higher the altitude the less atmosphere protecting the plants and this is what drives the production of Indica at higher altitudes (among other variants: thin air, less gravity, higher UV/UB, cold temps, short season) and Sativa at lower altitude (tropical, sub-tropical climates).

To couple this idea with yours I think the original purpose of THC is for protection of the plant but then humans selectively bred to accompany their daily activities and this extracted the effects out of the plant.

Of course this does not solve the whole endocannabinoid system equation and makes the debate go deeper in another direction.

If I was on a cold mountain I would want to numb my body and if I was in Africa I want to run from lions really fast.

A little rudimentary of a description but you see my direction.

So the human brain has some kind of analogue to THC and a system prepared to use the real thing.

If the resin was for solar protection then, wouldn't it be all over the big fan leaves? If it was only to protect seeds, why would it show up on males? And how come its cousin, resin-less hemp, grows out of control?

Maybe the sun just makes the plant feel good, so, more resin where there is more UV, to fork over to people so they will regrow it.

When I first read this idea, what came to my mind is a clitoris, something that has absolutely no use other than pleasure, which helps in reproduction. So in my mind, two of the things I enjoy most, have no purpose in existence besides pleasure, and there is not much else in nature that seems to be the same way.

Issues of reproduction aside, why would good feelings not be an evolutionary goal in and of themselves? I don't believe nature is so shallow as to just be a survival machine like robots making other robots. I think it is geared towards making higher-order thoughts and feelings. Or really, that is what the sun does, and the planet is its laboratory. It pours out physical light, but I think love comes straight from there. Maybe some plants know this better than most people.

Bumbatar

Might be worth doing because this topic is worth discussing and it's OT in this thread.

The thing is I don't live in the U.K. and some of the best most entertaining stuff is in the UK entertainment rater than the UK news media it is easy to access UK news media but not the entertainment media. If I started a thread it would have to be in the UK forum since people living their would know where to find the good stuff.

Some gems that I have found were from a show called "999 whats your emergency" where someone who is most likely already a complete fucking asshole jerk beats his own mother bloody over an argument about cannabis and the police and mother blamed the violent behavior on the cannabis like blaming a fit of road rage on you morning coffee. They also showed a man who had "cannabis psychosis" and wanted to make I.E.D. terrorist type explosives. The jail nurse said something like modern cannabis is poison and makes people roam the streets violent armed and dangerous.

Other gems where form a cop show called "Happy valley" or "Pleasant valley" It showed a man nick name "Noid khaled" a cannabis smoking fat man gets pulled out of his house and arrested because of cannabis psychosis. The suspected dealers make fun of him so the female police officer goes over to him violently slams him into a car and starts to twist his testicle while he squealed in pain and she lets him know shes not stupid and knows whats going on. the violent behavior was made to look glorified and justified.

Another incident on "Happy valley" or "Pleasant valley" was when the criminal bad guys were selling the dreaded "skunk"
cannabis to school children out of an ice cream truck!!! The star of the show a fat frumpy over 40 female cop then starts chasing the moving ice-cream truck through the apartment complex on foot just like that scene in Terminator 2 when the T-1000 robot was chasing the speeding car down the road!!!:laughing: it is a pain in the ass to dig the corn ball UK TV shows up and the people in the UK forum would know better on where to look.

the-terminator-is-real-and-hides-in-russia-posing-as-a-cop-video_1.gif

giphy.gif

insomniac_AU

Issues of reproduction aside, why would good feelings not be an evolutionary goal in and of themselves?

I think they are key. Without reproduction there is no evolution and pleasure plays a huge role for humans.

The clitoris really is just a sensor that triggers the brain to release dopamine. I think the release of dopamine is our hardwired reward that ensures our species continues. I'm not a doctor though. :)

M

moose eater

During the early 70s, and beyond, the Nixon Administration and others claimed that male adolescents smoking pot could cause a hormonal shift, and said male adolescents might develop female breasts.

Those of us who routinely failed to get a date to the dances were intrigued. Might've made the lack of a date irrelevant?