What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brown leaf tips

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
HeadyPete said:
Hi nice work Stitch.

Next transplant and in the future bury those plants right up to their first set of leaves to eliminate that stretched stem. The newly buried stem will eventually sprout roots and help the plant.

take care.

Great advice Petey! yup they sure will; it's crazy how they can grow roots at that part of the stem......

Queso45

So I fed the plants a little less water, and focused more around where the roots are... and it still showed signs of moisture stress. Here's the plant on November 12:

and Today, two days later here is the same plant:

The rest of my plants are also getting a little bit more burned... but I think it will end soon. I think they'll be fine.

Is this weird that this seedling has three leaves? It has three cotyledons too.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
did u grab a gallong or two of distilled water from the store and pour it through thoes pots? i mean like almost a gallon per pot...
stich was right about how hot the soil is. one of thoes pics has nitrogen toxicity (reverse cuped leaf) your set-up is ok, temps seam fine, what kind of dirt is that?
i think u need to quit using the high ph tap water.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Looks like a mixture of pH and we already know the soil was still a little to hot for them; but you could not help it with the mixture you had them in; have you tested the run off lately?

Queso45

Hey, I havent tested the runoff lately but I just tested the water that I've been using and it looks like its ph is an 8. I then tested a bottle of RO I had and it was about a 6. I'm gonna go buy some RO water today.

Queso45

Ok I just watered two of my plants with some purified reverse osmosis water and checked the runoff water from one. It looks like my PH level is a 7.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Ok, that is perfect then; you want no higher than 7 :)
Now just let them recover a bit; will take time though.

Queso45

Out of curiosity... Every time I screw something up like this to where it takes time to recover--- is that time added on to the entire grow, or is it going to take the same amount of overall time--- and my plants just aren't going to be as good as they would have been if I didn't mess anything up. So is my veg process going to take X amount of time longer--- or will the plants just be smaller by the time they start showing pre-flowers?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
They will just take X amount of time longer; depending on the severity of it they can get stunted which means the plant does not grow on a steady course.

The plant will only be smaller if a problem keeps occurring and is not resolved :)

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
thats so sad.. you have good conditions for them....

maybe u could try pro-mix or fox or somthing for another batch... maybe pop a few more beans while these recover? thats usualy what i do... i just ditched 1/2 my fu--ed up crop so i could jam 10 new girls ready to flower into my shed...

Queso45

Ok so I went out of town for a few days, switched my lights to 18/6, topped all of the plants off with a little extra water before I left, filled some extra water in the tray, and left. My three biggest plants were given a small amount of water with nutrients in them before I left. I am using Advanced Nutrients Iguana Grow Juice. It is a 3-1-3 Mixture.

When I got back I noticed the plants grew too close to the light and were getting a little burned. They also are showing some yellowing and browning starting from the bottom of the plant.

I am planning on giving a nice dose of nutrients to them when I water them again. Could you tell me if I need to supplement my plants with anything other than the iguana juice? Is there a deficiency visible on my leaves that the iguana grow will not fix?

Thanks

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
You fed them to much dude... also the biggest ones need a bigger pot very soon, I would recommend you transplanting them.

How much nutrients did you use? When was the last feeding? And when did you plan on feeding them again if this post was never made..... how many days apart? You still checking the run off ph?
WHy did you feed them, after about 8 days ago they were still getting a little hot with the mixture they were in? Remember when I told you that you should not have to feed for a while with the mixture they were in and how sensitive they are to nutrients?
They should have lasted in that mixture long after transplanting into better soil, once you transplant them plants into a mixture I would still use the same mixture when you transplant them big ones, they seem to be extremley sensitive to high nutrient mixture.

1 gallon size pot will be fine for the bigger ones, the smaller ones can stay in there pots a little longer for now.

Queso45

Hey stitch,

I believe you originally told me to wait a week-1/2 before feeding my bigger ones any nutrients. I waited 2 weeks, and even then the only amount of nutrients I gave them was when I "topped them off" with a little extra water before leaving. My nutrient mix is less than half the recommended dose, and the plants were getting more yellow and brown... so I maybe gave them 50 cc's of nutrient water which was 1.75 ML per liter of water. The nutrients were given to them on Wednesday. They have since been given a dose of RO water. To date.... this is the only feeding I have ever given my plants.

I will transplant the plants tomorrow if necessary.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
did you use 1/4 of a teaspoon per gallon when you watered them?

Ya, I did say that.. but I said wait a week and 1/2 minimum :)

First feeding needs to be small, when you transplant you won't need to feed for a while....

When was the last time you checked the pH?

Queso45

I used 1.75 ML per liter of water when watering, which would be 7 ML per gallon. There are 5 ML in 1 teaspoon, so I used an extra 2/5 of a teaspoon per gallon I guess. The last time I checked the PH was before I left and it was 6.5/7. I will check it again at next watering.

I've seen you recommend PH test strips over the liquid drops. I'm currently using the liquid drops am considering a second opinion by using the test strips. Are they pool test strips you're talking about? What exactly are they called?

I'll transplant my three biggest plants tomorrow into bigger pots. I don't know how many gallons they are but if I could guess I would say they're 2 gallons.

After I transplant them, should I just wait until the plants show deficiencies to give them nutrients? I thought I gave them a light dose of nutrients this time but clearly they barely eat anything.

That downward curling on some of the upper leaves.... was that from them being too close to the light or is it all apart of my over feeding issue?

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Yes pool strips, they work fine.
Ya, you ended up using to much.... hopefully they do not get worse otherwise you will have to flush them.......

WHat mixture are you going to put your bigger plants in?

Your plants were burned last time and for them to fully recover it takes a bit of time, you will know when they need a lot of food they start to grow quickly, right now they are still recovering from there roots being burned......

When they fully recover you can feed them normally, but untill then if they need fed they need a very light feeding.

It all depends on your mixture when you need to start feeding....

Queso45

I was planning on using a 50/50 ocean forest/light warrior mix the rest of the way. That's okay right?

Since I came back and had to raise my light, they have been growing really fast. There is a noticeable difference in height every day now. However, this is also the time they started showing the yellowing, browning, and curled upper leaves.

Hopefully they'll get better after I transplant them. Thanks for saving me again stitch.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
You can, I would for now considering they are still recovering from the burning. So ya go ahead and use them, how big are you going to grow your plants out?

I would not feed for about 2 weeks while they are in that mixture..... a little after 2 weeks give them a week dose, then from then on you can use like 1 tsp per gallon of grow......

Queso45

You meant go ahead and use the half light warrior/half ocean forest right? I was planning on growing my plants until they showed pre-flowers. I have about 8 feet of head room so I am assuming I can grow them as big as they want to right?

Queso45

Ok stitch I transplanted my 3 biggest pots into about 2 gallon pots. When I transplanted I noticed they all had roots surrounding the soil... i guess thats called rootbound. Anyway.. I can't upload pictures right now because I think ICmag is having problems again.

I watered the new transplants... but I used about the same amount of water as I used when they were in the smaller pots---- should I be watering until runoff at this point? I was assuming since they are small in the pots they don't need a pot full of water.

So I was unable to check PH today because there was no runoff. Let me know if I should water the big ones until runoff. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.