What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 1000w hps or 1 w/ light mover

Whats up everyone? I was wonderiing if it would be better to have 2 1000w hps in a a space a little less then 8ftlong and a little over 2 ft wide? or is it ok to use a linear light mover?? thanks for the help?

Hippo

personally id go for the lightmover with 1 x 1000 or maybe get 2 x 400 or 2 x 600 without the light rail., probably g got them ovethe 1000's tbh.
2 X 400 watters will give u 50 watts per sq ft in a 8ft x 2 ft area anything over 50 watts per sq ft that is over- kill imo, especially if u are just a personally grower.
goodluck all the same
KIDBUD

Pete

I'd agree there...

2x400 is perfect. If you've got the money, go with 2x600.

The room is very thin, so you'll want to spread the light wider.

I wouldn't use a light mover, imo.

Pete

G

I read in a mag somewhere I think it was High Times Grow, that a grower tried using half the light and came out with the same yields. He was using a light mover instead of two stationary fixtures. I'm not sure what strain it was or if was even strain specific but he did'nt lose yield when he did it.

Blatant

I don't think you realize how much heat 2 1000's put out... they will cook a confined space like that.... too much light anyway.
Get a linear mover, 2 x 600 will give you 11,250 lumens per square foot... that's a ton of light no need for anymore... 600's are 7% more efficient than 1000's=less heat.
2 x 400 on a light rail would do quite nicely also.

Aquaman2112

I have a 1000w HPS on a rail the heat from two of those bad boys will be really tough expecally this time of year. I love my rail gives me almost twice the distance and I can run a 7 x 5 area sog style with nice full buds but the heat in my room is a bitch 95 outside even with A/C its hard to handle. So I would say Light Rail w/1000 All the way.

Aquaman2112

G

big boomers........

big boomers........

.........is the way to go. have read 600 is the best as far as bang for the buck. i run a dual spectrum 1000W HPS on a mover in a 5X9 space. this last grow was the first with the mover.

just movin the light allowed me to keep it closer to the plants. heat is my main problem this time of year, but scored a little ac unit for new room. just need to come up with a sweet controller.

have a new bulb for the boomer, so Im lookin for some extra Phat in these upcommin girls. i just need a few more tweaks and will be lined out for some serious growin:D

also i have noticed that the interior buds are denser, not really bigger, but heavier with the mover. the light gets all over the plants from all the angles. im wantin another mover for my 400 in veg.

CBF

Last edited:
thanks for the replies everyone. The room size is actually 8x8 but the left side of room will be used for mom/veg/clone and the right side of room will be flower area. Obviously the left side will be all enclosed and sealed from the right side.I have decided to go almost 3 ft wide with the flowering area. So the Area will be exactly 8ft long and almost 3 ft wide. So I figure a 1000w with a light mover will be perfect.Just have to decid on the system now. Ebb and flow or dwc. I obvoiusly want huge harvests so I think dwc would be nice but I also want to do a perp harvest wich would be alot easier with an ebb and flow set up. Anyone in here doing a perp. harvest using dwc??

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Light mover with a 1000 wattter. That would be sweet, you could get the light real close to the plants :)

bartender187

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
personally i would go with two 600 on movers in a 24 sq ft area
you could air cool them in conjunction with the movers allowing you to get MUCH closer to the canopy. this will increase your par value.
1000w divided by 24 sq ft gives you about 42 watt psf
1200 will give you 50 with a better spread.
i'm pretty sure that the light rail manufacturer makes a product for adding a second lamp without a second motor and you could fit both lamps on one track.