What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you self a female?

Hey all. I was pheno hunting through some ceasar by exotic genetix a few runs back and one of the girls turned out to be a full blown 50-50 hermie with sacs running all down her branches on one side and pistils on the other. I caught it late, and it pollinated some of her neighbors, including my keeper pheno of black mamba. I kept some of those ceasar x mamba seeds just out of curiosity. Ran 4 of them recently and 2 had really impressive flowers and were surprisingly free of male sacs.

So long story short now I'm interested in selfing a more stable girl and using her pollen on other stable girls, hoping to make interesting fem crosses with a relatively low chance of herm offspring. How are people selfing these days? Back in the day it was colloidal silver, flowering a few extra weeks, and (ill advised) intentional stresses like light leaks. I'm guessing today's friendly neighborhood pollen chuckers are using better techniques right? Certain hormones or something? Thanks for any help.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My pleasure. Make sure you collect, dry and properly freeze your pollen. I figure we have no idea what pollen we'll want to keep or have 10 years from now... best to get collecting.

Be sure to label everything in extreme detail!! lol ;)

KokoKush

I would still recommend colloidal silver. I have read many reports on how hermied offspring from natural hermaphroditism due to environmental strasors or genetics, will commonly have offspring with the same hermaphroditic trait. I'd stress your plants to see which ones are not prone to hermaphroditism and keep those for breeding.

Douglas.Curtis

Both colloidal silver and STS use the same method. If you're reversing one plant, a bottle of quality 50ppm colloidal silver is rather inexpensive. When you need to reverse a lot of large plants, STS is the most economical option. :)

DEFINITELY stress test and remove all known hermie traits before breeding. ;)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
STS here to. Same mode of action. Blocks ethylene receptors, so no trigger to flower as a girl. Leaving the only option to be a boy.

I havn't kept pollen long. Up to 6 weeks perhaps. I didn't think it kept longer than that.

Douglas.Curtis

Silver is the way to go, your choice should depend on your situation. CS at 50ppm is relatively inexpensive for one plant, with a larger number of repeated sprays needed. When you have multiple plants, STS is generally less expensive.

Done correctly, they're both quite reliable. :)

Silver is the way to go, your choice should depend on your situation. CS at 50ppm is relatively inexpensive for one plant, with a larger number of repeated sprays needed. When you have multiple plants, STS is generally less expensive.

Done correctly, they're both quite reliable. :)

Thanks Doug. After this project is on it's way in a few months, I'll be sure to check back here and post the results. Excited :woohoo: